LMI in Brisbane middle ring

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Hayden94, 29th Sep, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Hayden94

Hayden94 Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

We’ve applied for pre approval for 570k in 3 neighbouring Brisbane middle ring suburbs, 10-14km radius. 90% IO, Suncorp has accepted but will only go two 90% in one of the suburbs. The other two we can only borrow 80% as the LMI company feels overexposed and doesn’t want anything to do with those suburbs anymore. The suburbs are investment grade, high OO areas.

Can anyone give me a bit more of an idea about this. I can understand regional, off the plan, apartments etc but quality property in a quality city location? Any thoughts would be appreciated, wondering if this is normal or not. Cheers.

2. jazzsidana

jazzsidana Well-Known Member

Banks will and should keeps books balanced and spread the risk at all times. It's in best interest of economy, investors and shareholders..

And if they heavily exposed to some suburbs due to it's potential at some point plug has to be pulled to avoid any further risk and spread the love to other burbs!!!..

Cheers,

3. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Might be better of just using a major with an LMI DUA (authority to approve LMI in house) - then it's unlikely you'll run into these issues.

It's not common to have an LVR restriction on detached houses in capital city locations - or I just don't come across it very often.

Cheers

Jamie

4. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Its not

WBC or CBA for example wont have any issues with a house in any inner burb

ta

rolf

5. Jamesaurus

Jamesaurus Well-Known Member

What suburbs are you talking about? Is there other undesirable factors the the suburb e.g. waste facility, army base, flood zone for example??

If they are truly high OO areas then spreading their risk shouldn't be the case with a low number of investor loans in the area..

6. Hayden94

Thanks for your replies. We’ve got a better deal with Suncorp so will stick to them for the one suburb and then just go with a major if we end up buying in one of the other two. Property is a finance game and I get a little frustrated with how much I struggle to get my head around it all. I know it’s the brokers job, but I want to know what’s going on myself.

7. Hayden94

Ferny, Arana and Everton Hills, approved for Ferny and that’s it. Would love to hear your thoughts

8. Jamesaurus

Jamesaurus Well-Known Member

IMO the demographic for those suburbs are solid: >70 OO%, <5% public housing, < 3% vacancy rates, >20% median income >3k/wk.
    Only select parts in flood zones, not too close to the barracks, the ferny grove waste plan is on the other side of samford rd.. in conclusion nothing wrong with those places..

I like Jamies idea above, the problem is with the LMI company being overly risk adverse and putting themselves out of the market- go with a bank that deals with sensible investors like yourself and LMI companies with investor friendly policies.

all the best

Hayden94 likes this.