Living in a van/campervan

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by Moist, 16th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Moist

Moist Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

I just thought I would ask if anyone has ever considered living in a van/campervan or even does this currently.

I'm a health professional and make pretty good money ($150k+) but am not passionate about what I do. I hate going to work and just can't wait to quit and retire.

I've seen a lot of youtube videos about singles and couples giving up their house and living off grid in a camper van or "van-camper-conversion" and they love it. The van is completely self sustainable (electricity from solar, water from simple pump system, toilet systems etc.)

They live as nomads and have the freedom to travel and live wherever they want. Some work without having to leave their laptop, others pick up simple work wherever they are in the country.

My thoughts were to take up this lifestyle, and do contract work (locum work) for different practices around the country as I would enjoy traveling as well. So I would still be making good money while dramatically reducing my living costs.

I'd like to hear what people think about this idea and also touch on finance as well. Will banks/brokers allow me to use a lower living cost number in applying for finance?

Ozzie in Texas and luckystar like this.
  2. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Maybe

if you currently declare 3000 a mth in liv costs as a single say, then 1800 when on the road, that lower figure is ok

Locum based finance int easy but possible

Go chase your dreams..........................

ta
    rolf

3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Did you see the thread on Tiny Houses recently?

No lenders have minimum living costs which they use, even if you spend less.

4. datto

datto Well-Known Member

The grass is always greener on the other side Moist.

I once had to live in the back seat of my Commodore as my ex threw me out of the house over certain credit card expenditure. Not good living like that.

A campervan may be bigger but still doesn't beat a house IMO.

Rich2011, Gingin and Scott No Mates like this.
  5. Moist

Moist Well-Known Member

how do lenders see locum income? Isn't it the same as a self employed tradie? Do lenders see this form or income as less reliable? How does it compare to someone "in business" in a shop?

Cheers

6. Moist

Moist Well-Known Member

Sorry Terry, I'm not sure I understand this. Are you saying it doesn't matter if I spend less because lenders do have minimum living costs?

Thanks

7. Terry_w

Yes. For example if the lender uses $2000 for a single person as expenditure per month, if you spend just $100 they will assess you on $2000 expenditure. If you spend $3000 they will assess you on $3000.

8. Terry_w

Lawn mowers?

datto and Moist like this.
  9. Moist

Moist Well-Known Member

ah OK, so the only benefit in terms of finance is just that I could save another deposit faster say....

thanks

WattleIdo and Terry_w like this.
  10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@datto was caught cutting the neighbour's grass ;)

11. LifesGood

LifesGood Well-Known Member

12. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Why wouldnt you do it?

Except for a short stint living out of the back of my hilux due to some indiscretions similar to @datto though, I havent lived in a camper van.
    When I return to Aus in a few years my plan is to live in a van traveling Aus for a solid year or two.

Hard to think of a better way to live personally.

Blacky

Jamie Moore and datto like this.
  13. Aconis

Aconis Well-Known Member

I spent 18 months travelling in an old pop top campervan. Loved it and hated it at the same time.
    It was great when you wanted to move from town to town but painful if you planned on staying somewhere for awhile and relying on the van as being both your home and daily transport became tiresome.
    If I was to do it again it would be more a motorhome with a small suv or motorbike on a trailer behind.

bob shovel likes this.
  14. Coota9

Coota9 Well-Known Member

Spent much of my early childhood in an onsite caravan actually with me and my sister sleeping in the outside annex.
    Remember waking up and feeling ice on the top of my doona,we stepped up accomodation after this and moved into a commission house.

luckystar likes this.
  15. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Locum work rural and remote youll be able to get a car, house and double the salary! Just get a nice 4wd to get out there!

We have been travelling the last 2 years, started with one child and a tent, now have a second child and a caravan!... But we're in a house now ;)use the van in between contracts and in days off.

Going by your "health professional salary "I assume your an EN ;)

The pay increase you'll get chasing locum work you wont need to worry about petty caravan parks and tax benefits... Depending what field your in

Aconis likes this.
  16. bob shovel

Check out ExplorOz.com.au heaps of info about travelling.

In regards to the campervan, it's all about what you want to do with it, there's a lot of options out there.

For me 12v power and gas will get you by. For a basic setup - Solar panels (120w Min.) and a couple of deep cycle batteries will provide you enough for lights, charging plus a few other low draw things.
    A 3 way fridge (runs off 240v, 12v, gas) are the go. When your parked-up run fridge on gas (you'd need a lot of solar panels for 12v fridge). Caravan park with power go the 240v and when driving 12v.
    Cooking and jug go gas cooker or Webber q
    If you go fancy and get air con the solar/batteries will struggle, so in caravan park make the most of it.

Moist likes this.
  17. Aconis

Aconis Well-Known Member

Agree with you @bob shovel , a friend of mine is a RN and has had contracts in Karratha, Port Hedland etc. Each time nurses quarters were provided as part of the package.

bob shovel likes this.
  18. bob shovel

WA the tight assess charge $40/wk!
    I'm seriously considering signing up to uni to do nursing

19. Moist

Moist Well-Known Member

What's an EN? Is that an emergency nurse? Nurses make $150k? wow

no I'm an optom. easy job and great money, but so draining....

I actually made about $210k the last two years in business. I'd probably only get $150k as a locum, but would rather do that now due to a loss in business and a need to move on to a different location.

You're right about free accommodation/ travel expenses with locuming. Good for a change when I get tired of the van

20. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Yep. I see a lot of RVs here towing an Ute behind giving them the freedom to go off road or going into town where there's no parking lot for RV.