Living Expenses

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Johann_, 1st Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Vanillascent

Vanillascent Well-Known Member

I have solar which gives me a $25 rebate per quarter? I am often working or at the gym or out and about so I don't use much electricity. I make a point of turning lights off when I exit rooms and switching my electrical goods off at the wall where they aren't in constant use. Most of my electricity bill is access charges. I actually use less electricity than what my solar generates. If it wasn't so expensive to go completely off the grid I would have by now.

And my grocery budget is $140/fortnight which includes buying cat food and litter etc. I am very boring because I HATE grocery shopping. I literally buy a lettuce, carrots, broccoli, onions and 2 meat options as my standard weekly purchase and buy personal and cleaning products as needed. If anything I come under budget with groceries. But I am not a big eater and I don't snack. I am a strict 2-3 meals per day type haha.

I did a comparable actual vs budget for 6 months... All those expenses listed were pretty on par...My only downfall when sticking to my budget is my ability to not spend on unnecessary entertainment, clothes and makeup haha - I am a total girl when it comes to those things!

JacM and legallyblonde like this.
  2. dboy_tomato

dboy_tomato Well-Known Member

EN710 -

Travel $2,587.25 <-- What's in this :eek:
    Yeah the amount is for Jan - which we did some road trip interstate so it's higher than usual for travel.
    Child/Dependent Expenses $1,735.00 <-- What's in this
    Child care for my two kids - yeah very expensive
    Home Maintenance $1,710.10 <-- What's in this :eek:
    Qtrly Strata fee
    Groceries $525.37 <-- CHEAP!
    We travelled so that's probably why it's cheaper than usual (normally 800 to 1000)
    Restaurants/Dining $372.95 <-- CHEAP!
    yeah we don't dine out that much
    Home Improvement $121.63 <-- What's in this? but cheap
    two purchases from Bunnings :)
    Clothing/Shoes $92.82

3. dboy_tomato

Hi JacM, yeah happy to share.

yeah travel was high because we travelled interstate - so that's kinda one off.

Home maintenance was for our quarterly strata fee - not cheap :(

Utilities was for our GAS + Electricity + Water

Cash spending is separated. I categorised the money for eating-out and cash spending separately.

4. Mitesh Dedhia

Mitesh Dedhia Well-Known Member

I just went through my budget spreadsheet for the past 3 years and our living expenses are averaging about $5k a month.

5. HomePage

HomePage Well-Known Member

I think it would be more useful if people posted average monthly spend for items, rather than for a specific month, as big periodic expenses and one offs can skew the information significantly.

Lilylep likes this.
  6. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

Yikes. How is your utilities bill so high? I'd be looking long and hard in particular at the electricity bill. If it is due to excessive use of heating and cooling I'd be considering putting more insulation into the property.

7. Johann_

Johann_ Well-Known Member

303 on food? I agree lol

8. dboy_tomato

yeah we were blasting the air condition during the last 1-2 months with some of those hot & cold days. but these are quarterly bills as well so average around $100/month for each of the Gas, Water & Electricity.

I thought this was normal? No....o_O

9. tvadera

tvadera Well-Known Member

All,

Interesting to see what others spend.

My breakdown, its not accurate but close I would say
    5000 per month (does not include mortgage repayments)
    Broken as below
    Child care: 1700 (per month for 1 kid)
    Landline + internet: 90
    Mobiles: 110
    Groceries: 500
    Medicines: 30
    Eating out lunch: 150
    Dinner take away: 120
    Petrol: 180
    Transport tickets: 280
    Gas / Elec: 200
    Council charges: 200 (broken into per month)
    Insurance: 66
    Car insurance: 150
    Car rego: 130
    Private health insurance: 200
    Ambulance cover: 10
    Charity: 20 (direct debit)
    Misc: like gifts, fine dine, clothes, leisure: 500

All of the above does not include mortgage repayments, i am really surprised at how less people are spending. With above spend, unsure if I can cut out anything except, lunches and takeaways and at max re-negotiate on some insurances.

10. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

Rough week for me

Phone: $10. (unlimited calls n text with boost)
    Petrol: $40
    Food: $70
    Takeout: $10 to $20
    Other groceries: $15

Power bills vary from $60 to $280 a quarter (my share)

Rego: $600 a year
    Car insurance: $250 a year

IP expenses for my place are all covered by the rent.

I am currently insanely busy with my two/three jobs.... So I have become accustomed toa very simple life!

Last holiday I had was three weeks in Thailand and Malaysia... Total cost was under 2k including flights ect.

Although by the end of the year I will own a horse.... so my weekly expenses will increase approx $60 to $80!

11. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Consider getting solar.
    My Mum got a place with too much solar, can run the AC 24/7 and still putting it back into the grid.

dboy_tomato likes this.
  12. dboy_tomato

Yeah I saw the new Tesla batteries + solar installation for $13k!!

That's one hell of an investment

If it drops below $8k i will seriously consider it. Not just for the economics but for the environment and also not get ripped off by our power companies

13. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

The technology is moving pretty quick.
    There's an Australian company that's apparently doing some good work compared to the Tesla stuff.

14. teetotal

teetotal Well-Known Member

15. Lisa Parker

Lisa Parker Well-Known Member

I wish I could get my budget to look like this!! Oh hang on this is weekly??
    Maybe we are on par with the few things I was looking at feeling quite envious about!

16. Lisa Parker

So a few things I notice about property chat peeps.....they like animals and organic food! I had often wondered if our food and eating our bills were excessive, but it seems we are on par with most (except those people who have virtually NO expenses! How do you do that?)

Our utility bills concern me. It's about $80 per f/n for gas and $90 per f/n for electricity which includes pay before due date discounts. Is this a lot? 2 adults. 3 fur babies.

17. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Are you working from home of some sort? How big is the house? Our one bedroom rates is half that, 2 adults and one dog. I doubt 3 dogs would add a lot and if you're working outside home, the bill should no be that big of a difference between one bed apartment and a house?

Lisa Parker likes this.
  18. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

Our Gas is 90 per QTR and we have gas hot water, cooking and heating, Our electricity is about 300 per QTR.

Electricity was up to around $1,000 but I found a dodgey switch which was arcing power all the time (major fire hazard), replaced that and it dropped down to 300ish

2 of us and 1 fur baby. Computer and file server are both on 24/7 but we rarely use the Air con and never use electric heating.

Lisa Parker likes this.
  19. Ezzo

Ezzo Well-Known Member

Depends on the size and energy efficiency of the house. I really noticed a decrease with my last move when it went to 1/3 of previous bills, but it is also a much smaller house and a 6 star as compared to a 5. I can only imagine how high it can get in the older, less efficient houses

Lisa Parker likes this.
  20. Lisa Parker

I think it would make a big difference. A 1 bedroom apartment is much smaller and probably uses a lot less gas/electricity to heat and cool a much smaller place, plus construction would make a big difference and age.

My husband works from home and is always doing stuff on his computer. We also run workshops from our studio which is almost the same size as a 1 bedroom apartment (45sqm).

Oh, I'm so envious! $90 a quarter for gas!! We have gas hot water, heating and cooking too. Ours is nowhere near that. I wonder why!?

Yes, older! Not energy efficient in any way. Slowly swapping over windows and getting insulation in anywhere we renovate.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia