Living cost calculations

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Tim & Chrissy, 5th Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Its not really supposed to be accurate, but an estimate of what you can afford. If it could be proved that you couldn't really afford to have paid the loan, then you may not have to pay it back.

Last edited by a moderator: 4th Nov, 2016
  2. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

If you personal serviceability is ok, then there are other lender mix options for better serviceability Id guess.

ta
    rolf

Last edited by a moderator: 4th Nov, 2016
    Tim & Chrissy likes this.
  3. Tim & Chrissy

Tim & Chrissy Well-Known Member

My plan is to use the lower % to pay down the principal faster. Then find a lender with lower living cost calculations and/or will take into account our other income.

So our debt will reduce/savings increase faster at the lower rate and if we find the right lender our borrowing capacity will increase and get us across the line for the next IP.

Last edited: 6th Dec, 2015
  4. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

In that situation I'd base it on what ever yield you're prepared to accept on the median price of the area you're interested in. If you can borrow more than you need, happy days.

These calcs are for ball park estimation only and shouldn't be relied upon to apply for finance - if you're serious about finding out your capacity, speak to a broker. You'll get a much more accurate picture then.

HomePage likes this.
  5. Tim & Chrissy

I understand why they are doing it however I think they have become too cautious and too far removed from reality.

When the minimum payment is $750 p.w. and we contribute over $1,350 p.w. over an extended period of time there is clearly enough cash flow there to service a low cost IP

6. Tim & Chrissy

Any ideas on who may be more a more suitable lender for my situation?