Live Termites what are the options?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Subodh Shirodkar, 15th Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Subodh Shirodkar

Subodh Shirodkar Well-Known Member

Dear All,

I am sure there would be some brave hearts around with experience on renovation / clean-up of termite damaged house.

We are acquiring a house needing major repairs and having live termites. Trying to work out the number before going ahead.

- What are the cost involved one time and on going for treating / getting rid of live termites ?
    - Anything specific to look out for?
    - This purchase if we go ahead is in Woodridge. Can anyone recommend a decent handyman?

Assistance is appreciated.

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Depends how damaged - the main issues will be replacing/repairing any load bearing structures.

Killing the termites will be relatively cheap and easy.

The Y-man

3. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Talk to their leader - they can be reasoned with.

Toon, S.T, Hanison and 1 other person like this.
  4. SouthBoy

SouthBoy Well-Known Member

When you made the purchase did you get the building and pest inspections done by the same person? Asking that person for the first quote or from their recommended builder will be a good start. I used Dedant for my inspections for my Logan property.

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Huge bargaining chip here Subby.

There won't be many people queuing up to buy other people's problems.

Get a p & b to quote the works & add a healthy % for contingencies.

6. Subodh Shirodkar

Hi
    Thanks for the response. I am getting a builder to walk through. So far looks like the hard wood timber structure is fine.

Do you have any clue of the amount that is generally charged. It's a 3 bed / old fibro house on a standard block of 600sq.

Thx
    Subodh

7. Subodh Shirodkar

The property is still under contract and not settled. Thanks for the tip. I was sort of anticipating this challenge so just getting my head around resolution when we go unconditional.

8. Subodh Shirodkar

Hi Scotty,

You are right this one is not for faint hearted. I have taken on long list of problems. Since it was on the brink of repossession we did what we could on purchase price, now trying to figure out the end state in terms of equity gain & cash flow.

Thx Anyhow.
    Subodh

9. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Just give pest places a call for a few quotes.

The Y-man

Subodh Shirodkar likes this.
  10. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We've used Wayne Creed of Rifle Pest Management for years (and the man who taught him the ropes for many more years before Wayne took over). He knows his stuff, won't rip you off and is a nice man as well. He won't suggest expensive fixes just to make money.

0412 489 710

Tekoz, S.T and Subodh Shirodkar like this.
  11. Graeme

Graeme Well-Known Member

Toon likes this.
  12. Subodh Shirodkar

Hi
    Thank you Wayne was very useful.

13. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Bart Simpson: Gas your termites, freeze your termites, zap your termites, save the termites.
    canine2.mp3

14. mush

mush Well-Known Member

Hi Subodh,
    You should be able to eradicate the termites for a couple of thousand dollars at the absolute max and get an 8-10 year warranty protecting you against their return provided annual inspections are completed for around $200 a year by the pest control company.
    If you are looking to eradicate the colony ensure that a fipronil based chemical barrier is installed.
    Your biggest problem will be evaluating the damage they have done. The stumps/flooring component should be accessible and therefore careful examination of the timbers is achievable,as should the roof loft space. It is the timber framework component forming the walls which will be almost impossible to evaluate without removing the internal or external wallboards/cladding.
    It would be highly advisable to get a full asbestos report prior to attempting this or any other invasive action.

AlbertWT likes this.
  15. Subodh Shirodkar

Thx Mush,

This certainly helps.

mush likes this.
  16. AlbertWT

AlbertWT Well-Known Member

@mush does the building inspector also test for Asbestos trace as well ?
    The termite check that you mentioned above seems invasive.

17. mush

mush Well-Known Member

AlbertWT, the only sure way of positively identifying asbestos is to have it laboratory tested, so whilst a decent building inspector will be able to advise on "possible" asbestos you will either need an expert report for definite confirmation or treat all possible asbestos as asbestos and take all necessary precautions.
    Using a Termatrac t3i allied with other methods, an inspector should be able to determine if there is termite activity within the walling framework,however to determine the extent of the damage invasive methods will almost certainly be required.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia