Little Albert

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Brittany Grace, 11th Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Brittany Grace

Brittany Grace Well-Known Member

We buy Ugly Ducklings.

Hi, I am Brittany; a mother to Charleigh and a partner to Steve, whom is a builder. Together for 9 years and we buy and sell homes.

We will keep "Forever Moving" until we build our final home.

Our next project, is "Little Albert". The outside isn't such an ugly duckling but inside is quite dated.

Little Albert is currently a 3 bedroom, 1 bathroom home. Please follow our journey as we transform this old house into a welcoming family home.

We will sell in about 8-9 months.

main.jpg

Blacky and bob shovel like this.
  2. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Hi Brit. Yeah I'll watch your progress. Sounds good. Just wonder if you have to pay tax on any money you make?

Brittany Grace likes this.
  3. Brittany Grace

Thanks Datto! We keep the homes for over 12 months, so we don't have to pay capital games tax, saying that with my partner being a builder it can be a bit tricky..

Our last project we have just finished we stayed there for 2 years as it was a much bigger project, 2500m2 block, turning a 3 bedroom 1 bathroom into a 5 bedroom, 2.5 bathroom. I'll post pics shortly, it was quite the transformation.

datto likes this.
  4. Brittany Grace

Okay, maybe I should start with out first project?

This is our first home we bought, we were both 22 years old. We were so ready to renovate this home which had been horribly looked after, it had been rented for the last 10 years. We signed the contract and it was ours in 30 days. It settled on a Friday afternoon around 2pm and we had already started demolishing the upstairs bathroom. We tidyed up upstairs in about 3 months, then for the next 8-9 months we started saving and drawing up plans for downstairs. To think we were 22 and designing our own house, pretty cool when I look back as to what we achieved at that age.

Plans approved and we were ready to go, we actually had a very strict timeline as I was pregnant, so Steve my partner had to work pretty quick to ensure the house was ready for our first baby. We moved back into the house when I was 35 weeks pregnant, the kitchen was delayed and we were working out of the laundry until the kitchen was installed. Which funnily enough, our baby was born when the kitchen was being installed!

Anyway we lived there for about 6 months, Then the forsale sign went up! Mix emotions as it was our first home, but we have a plan and we are working toward those goals!

This is the house before any renovations happened.

IMG_7612.jpg IMG_7614.jpg IMG_7615.jpg IMG_7618.jpg IMG_7619.jpg IMG_7620.jpg

Attached Files:

5. Brittany Grace

This is the house finished, as you can see we raised the home to make it legal height downstairs.

We were lucky and had 2 street addresses, which the main entrance was facing a busy main road. We turned the house to suit the block which now is overlooking the dam and the landscaped yard. ✌

High ceilings and VJ sheeting is a favourite of mine and will mostly be used through out all of our homes. It's a signature thing.

Enjoy!

- The photos below are downstairs only l, I'll post upstairs in the next post -

IMG_7621.jpg IMG_7622.jpg IMG_7623.jpg IMG_7624.jpg IMG_7625.jpg IMG_7626.jpg IMG_7628.jpg IMG_7630.jpg IMG_7631.jpg IMG_7632.jpg

6. Brittany Grace

Upstairs;
    Which we never really went up there as it was only the three of us. As you can see on the new floor plan, master and another bedroom was located down stairs.

A family of four bought our home, which I hope they are enjoying it. That is it for now. First project was completed this time last year.

Next up is Little Albert and she is little, advantages of having a little house, is so easy to keep clean. Well kinda? We have a toddler now!

Thanks
    Brittany, Builder and a Baby ✌

IMG_7627.jpg IMG_7635.jpg IMG_7640.jpg IMG_7636.jpg IMG_7641.jpg IMG_7637.jpg IMG_7638.jpg IMG_7642.jpg

MTR and Kat like this.
  7. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

This is a great strategy if your life circumstances support it - moving from PPOR to PPOR and adding value and flipping that is. Can be a great way of creating capital for future ventures.

@Brittany Grace thanks for sharing and sounds like you are on to a winner here.

Jess Peletier and Brittany Grace like this.
  8. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Looks great!

You may want to get specific advice on the no CGT though, as regularly flipping PPOR's does not guarantee a CGT exemption.

Colin Rice likes this.
  9. Brittany Grace

Thanks Dave, we have done our research regarding all taxes including CGT.

DaveM and Colin Rice like this.
  10. Brittany Grace

Thanks Colin, It can be a bit of a challenge forever packing and unpacking. We will get there

11. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Looks great!! very modern and appealing:)

Where do you source fittings and appliances? Was the kitchen for this one ex display?

12. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

That can be a good thing as you dont accumulate as much crap!! keep it simple!

DaveM likes this.
  13. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

We did a similar thing when we didn't have 4 children to look after and would still be doing it otherwise. Cant complain as life is good as it is.

14. Brittany Grace

Thanks Bob, thanks for finding me on this thread! This was a new kitchen from the Good Guys, the price was pretty good considering the size was quite large plus the butlers pantry. The appliances also came from there.

Carpets, bathroom fixtures, tiles etc was from one company in Brisbane. We just went in one afternoon and selected all items for the house and then scheduled delivery when we wanted the items ✅

15. Brittany Grace

Yes, this is so very true!!

16. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Brilliant before and after photos, good strategy.

Just for some inspiration........ though I doubt you need it by looking at the photos you posted.

We have friends who have been buying primary residence, renovating and flipping for years now.

Always buy in the wife's name, but that has probably more to do with their business.

They renovate period homes and hubby is a jack of all trades. The last property they sold for $2M and purchased another for around $1M and currently renovating this.

I notice they have purchased and sold in flat and rising markets and always made money, but they have always purchased well below market value, perhaps that is the key. All properties purchased in the same suburb, some have been cosmetic to a full blow renovation/extensions

All the best

MTR:)

Brittany Grace and SOULFLY3 like this.
  17. Tonibell

Tonibell Well-Known Member

@Brittany Grace Looks great - we did something similar with period homes at that stage of life.

There is a somewhat limited timeframe for doing this - so go hard.

Any rough numbers that you can provide ?

18. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

upload_2017-4-11_15-54-59.png

Good Luck !
    Don't know how you handle live in renos and moving often, then doing it all over again.
    Horses for courses.

19. Brittany Grace

Another reno done; before pictures of the house...

Attached Files:

20. Brittany Grace

Completed renovation - House is currently on the market!

Attached Files: