Lithium and other battery metals discussion

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by d3outguncom, 12th Mar, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. d3outguncom

d3outguncom Well-Known Member

These discussions have appeared occasionally in other forums (10 bagger), thought it's time they should have their own thread.

Here's the list of lithium players I am watching (not all pure lithium plays - in alphabetical order):
    ADT adriatic metals
    AGY argosy
    AND andromeda
    AVZ avz
    CXO core lithium
    EMH euro mineral
    GXY galaxy
    HWK hawkstone
    LIT Lithium
    LKE lake
    LTR liontown
    LYC lynas
    MNS magnis
    MEP minotaur
    MIN mineral resources
    NVA nova
    PLL piedmont
    PLS pilbara minerals
    SOR strat elements
    SYA sayona
    VUL vulcan

This thread should be about data, business and management discussion, technical analysis, volumes, cost per tonne of extraction, sovereign risk (e.g. extraction in Australia vs South American triangle), etc.)

Please feel free to share any info you think is relevant, add to the list, link to research, etc.

In addition to the lithium plays are all the related minerals and metals (graphite (there's 10x as much graphite in a battery as there is lithium), copper, etc.)

Over to you.

2. d3outguncom

Part of bigger debate is whether to invest in individual parcels of players, or ETFs like ACDC, which hold miners like Galaxy, Mineral Resources and Pilbara Minerals in the portfolio, as well as manufacturers and users of the end product. No reason can't do both.

3. DreamzUnlimited

DreamzUnlimited Well-Known Member

TheRons likes this.
  4. Millie

Millie Well-Known Member

Saw a number of new jobs listed for this operation, WA based mine and refinery.

Covalent Lithium Pty Ltd (Covalent) is the manager appointed by a joint venture between subsidiaries of Sociedad Química y Minera de Chile S.A. (SQM) and Wesfarmers Limited to develop and operate the Mount Holland Lithium Project, which will be a unique, fully integrated producer of battery quality lithium hydroxide in Western Australia.

The Mount Holland Lithium Project, when constructed, will include a mine and concentrator at Mount Holland, located south of Southern Cross, and a refinery in Kwinana that will produce approximately 50,000 tonnes per year of lithium hydroxide – a value-added lithium chemical that is a key input to electric vehicles

5. d3outguncom

I'm leaning towards Lake Resources for purity and ease of extraction. See generic research attached.

Attached Files:

6. DreamzUnlimited

DreamzUnlimited Well-Known Member

7. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Some of those stocks have had their ups and downs. They seem to be on a rebound now.

8. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

I think NVA has a huge future, is a long term 5-10yr hold but could be a massive return over that time frame.

CXO & AVZ I also really like, stayed away from PLL I think it’s overvalued as of right now. Friends have bought a lot of HWK but it’s early days.

If I’m to go heavy on something it would still be NVA personally, for the gold.

Lithium id go CXO

graphite I got TLG at 60c but it’s had a good run.

9. Onyx_OCAU

Onyx_OCAU Well-Known Member

Cobalt is an interesting resource to me - an often overlooked element used in battery production. Price has risen recently and is set to rise alongside the growth of EV and the switchover from petrol combustion engines by all the major manufactuers.

AUZ, CLQ, JRV - 3 Aust based companies in the cobalt sphere.

TheRons likes this.
  10. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I always wonder what happens when someone finds the "new technology".
    eg Hydrogen cells, a way to build a better battery that is fast charging and uses less rare earths or metals etc. If a battery can be rapid charged in 10mins then you can make it inefficiently but while squeezing range out of batteries is a issue then the composition of batteries requires costly materials. If batteries can be made cheaper and charge faster the cars are cheaper to make and run and EVs sell faster. Its the Tesla plan. Panasonic were stunned to hear that battery development is now moving inhouse.

11. Tarek Omar

Tarek Omar Active Member

as a person that's raised capital before for junior listed minors. I think its important that you look at what are the fundamentals of a company are like, especially when it comes junior explorers. It's great that a sector is hot, and prices are going up, but you need to time your exit. Most junior explorers will never reach production, so timing of when to get out is critical. You also need to time your entry.

TheRons and Mark F like this.
  12. essendonfan

essendonfan Well-Known Member

AVZ in TH pending offtake.

Bring on the bags

13. Anthony416

Anthony416 Well-Known Member

I have been watching this for a while, they get a trading halt, then the announcement, then the stock price goes down......On other days with no halts, announcements etc and the price goes up....too many unexplained actions for me at this point. That being said, that applies to a lot of the market :)

datto and TheRons like this.
  14. Tarek Omar

Tarek Omar Active Member

I am personally watching $ixr, RRE project and I've been in it since it was the old $ovl. I'm currently analysing $vml

15. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

Curious that ORE (Orecobre) is not on your list. Profitable, low cost saline producer with close ties to Toyota currently expanding production and about to complete construction of a Lithium Hydroxide plant in Japan.

I have had big gains and big losses playing with junior miners and energy technology companies. Now I seek companies that are on the verge of production with the majority of the capital raisings in the past. Looking at their development pathway can tell you a lot about the competence of the management.

TheRons, George Smiley and Anthony416 like this.
  16. Maggz

Maggz Member

I think ASN has been missed off this list. Good list thought.

ASN just updated their PEA to include Lithium production in their first stage. They also have bromine. And a recently acquired tenements around CHN.

Codie likes this.
  17. d3outguncom

Thanks everyone. Went with CXO and LTR.

Gockie and Codie like this.
  18. D&J

D&J Well-Known Member

I've been holding CXO for a very long time, like going on to 10 years :O

I could have parked the money into property and done better imo but it is now showing a lot of promise and it is one of my largest holdings and best performers!

19. d3outguncom

Thanks @D&J, it's people like you on these forums who have brought certain plays to my attention and helped me to analyse assess and jump (either in or out) :)

TheRons likes this.
  20. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

A critical discovery by US researchers could make sodium-ion batteries safer and more affordable with a greater range than lithium-ion batteries. With plans in development, Tesla could be one of the first EV makers to utilize sodium-ion batteries as their function improves. Since sodium-ion batteries are made with the exact same process as lithium, their time to market could be faster than other alternatives at a much cheaper cost.