Listing property for rent question

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Lenny, 3rd Jun, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lenny

Lenny Well-Known Member

Hi all. Sorry for the silly question but we have tenants moving out of one of our IPs in 4 weeks and our agent has recommended to advertise 2 weeks prior to the property becoming vacant using the reasoning that the listing gets bumped down the list and by the time it becomes vacant the listing isn’t at the top.

I would have assumed 4 weeks prior to the vacancy date would be normal? Is what they’re telling me normal?

2. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Depends on area and when tenants leaving and why, if PM doing a decent job, just pose questions to them, I think 2 weeks is fine.

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't advertise four weeks out. I'd look at three weeks out at the very earliest, and if it is going to be easy to rent, then two weeks should be enough as most tenants will need to give two weeks' notice.

And agents will likely allow a tenant to come back to do any final cleaning, which could mean another few days tacked on, ie. your tenants might move out one Saturday and might need to come back in if things need cleaning, which would mean new tenant cannot go straight in.

4. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

Two week is too short...generally tenants need 2 weeks to give notice themselves. Is your PM doing opens? Are they doing inspections everyday? The chance of having zero vacant days goes lower by the day....

I would say minumum 3 weeks, and can’t see what you’ve got to lose by doing 4. Unless maybe the current tenant is untidy or unpresentable?

5. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

I would do 4 weeks prior.
    However work with the agencies systems

6. Lenny

Lenny Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback. The house should be in good condition - touch wood. While I think it should be 4 weeks I want to work with them and their recommendations. I agree that tenants need to give 2weeks themselves so 2weeks seems unusual. I’ll touch base again with the agent. Thanks again.