LIC & LIT Listed Investment Companies (LICs) Q3 2018

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by dunno, 2nd Jul, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

For us this is what investing is all about. Who gives a stuff about capital when the income is doing this! No decisions needed about what to sell to rebalance etc etc. Just forget about it, let others manage the portfolio for bugger all fee, watch the income grow, nothing to do but enjoy life.

As @SatayKing would say, “bliss on a stick”. Uummm I think that’s it:confused:.

sharon, Ynot, orangestreet and 11 others like this.
  2. MarkW

MarkW Well-Known Member

I made my first LIC/ETF investment today, buying Milton. I'm planning to also buy Argo, VGS and possibly VAS in the next couple of months.

Thanks to everyone for all the great information posted on this forum.

Julian, Ynot, BigWillieStyle and 10 others like this.
  3. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Yup. While I recognise the advantages of superannuation, I really like holding shares outside that structure as well since capital gains becomes even less relevant to me.

No laws requiring me to price the bloody things. One less worry. Simply collect the dividends!

mdk and Anne11 like this.
  4. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

SK it’s funny you say that. Lately I look at the SMSF as if it’s of lesser importance to personal assets and almost like it’s a temporary thing. I think it’s because I know I will be forced to sell assets more and more as we age. And as you say that means having to be aware of bloody capital value which I don’t like at all.

The only way I can be at peace with it Capital value wise is knowing that whatever assets I have to sell in the SMSF I will simply rebuy in own names. Transactions costs are incurred of course and CGT on the accumulation component.

It just goes against my nature of accumulating income producing assets with no intention of selling.

sharon, Ynot, DoggaPP and 1 other person like this.
  5. oracle

oracle Well-Known Member

Vanguard has released its 17th annual index chart recently. Link here

Screen Shot 2018-08-14 at 9.45.12 pm.png

Those figures don't look very nice for international shares. $10,000 grows to $85,000 in 30 odd years. While for US it has grown to $206,000 which is more than twice.

No one knows the future but if International shares are going to catchup to US then they would need to outperform US market by several percentage points over the coming decades.

Cheers,
    Oracle.

Tink, Ynot, orangestreet and 3 others like this.
  6. blob2004

blob2004 Well-Known Member

Really interesting.
    I would be interested to know whether this trend stays the same over an even longer time frame - say 50 years. Couldn't really find much info. on this around. Does anyone have a chart or some sort for aus vs US vs Int over 50 years+ or longer?

7. SatayKing

Nothing to to with LICs but as a result of being some what at a loss to do this morning before heading off for some afternoon activities, I looked at the ASX announcements and had the pleasant surprise that a couple of my personal direct share holdings are going to pay me some money.

Nice, especially as one has substantially increased the dividend compared with previous corresponding period by over 30%.

Last edited: 15th Aug, 2018
    Tink, mdk, sharon and 3 others like this.
  8. oracle

oracle Well-Known Member

Does the name start with a C and end with a L?

Cheers,
    Oracle.

9. SatayKing

I assume you know it's illegal to hack into someones share registry account? :D

jimmy likes this.
  10. oracle

oracle Well-Known Member

I thought I was looking at my share registry account :D

Cheers,
    Oracle

Ynot likes this.
  11. pippen

pippen Well-Known Member

Collerina cobalt (CLL) must be booming then?!! :p

Ynot, orangestreet and oracle like this.
  12. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

13. RayO

RayO Well-Known Member

Zenith Chaos and Anne11 like this.
  14. Snowball

Snowball Well-Known Member

Another pleasant result with QVE increasing the dividend by 5% to 4.2 cents for the year.

And as a bonus, a special dividend of 1 cent to be paid along with the final dividend of 2.1 cps. (Presumably because of the Tox Free takeover by Cleanaway, for which I received a juicy special div in my personal account too :D)

https://www.asx.com.au/asxpdf/20180815/pdf/43xc736td36727.pdf

15. blob2004

blob2004 Well-Known Member

Found more data on US vs Int.
    1075623_14469242201034_rId12.png
    To me it really seems like a draw and the USA is getting all the hype now due to the recent strong bull, whereas international did quite well in other periods.
    US-Foreign-Return.gif

Snowball, sharon and Anne11 like this.
  16. b0b555

b0b555 Well-Known Member

Results for GC1:
    upload_2018-8-16_17-32-9.png
    Of course it speaks more abut last year than this year.

17. b0b555

b0b555 Well-Known Member

Interesting comment from Geoff Wilson in an AMP article (What two investing insights would you give your 20-year-old self?):

"Put as much money as you can into the share market
    For simple and effective exposure to a diversified investment portfolio, I would buy the four largest listed investment companies (LICs) – AFIC (ASX:AFI), Argo Investments (ASX:ARG), Milton Corporation (ASX:MLT) and WAM Capital (ASX:WAM). I would also participate in their dividend reinvestment plans (DRP) as the benefits of compounding are significant."

What two investing insights would you give your 20-year-old self? | AMP Capital

18. Snowball

Snowball Well-Known Member

That was posted a while back with some other veterans advice.

Wonder if he’d now have a slightly different answer...WAM Global for extra diversification ;)

jimmy likes this.
  19. SatayKing

PIC 1 for 4 Entitlement Offer @ $1.12 per share will probably be taken up. Not going to go for the shortfall or general offer.

Anne11 and Zenith Chaos like this.
  20. Zenith Chaos

Zenith Chaos Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up @SatayKing. On your "not advice" I researched PIC and purchased a nice parcel which has performed well.

With regards to the offer: general offer shares at 1.12 to new shareholders and entitlement offer shares at 1 for 4 for existing shareholders at the same price. So what is the advantage to the existing shareholder? Is this not diluting existing shareholder value?

Interested in your thoughts.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.