LIC & LIT Listed Investment Companies (LICs) Q1 2018

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by The Falcon, 1st Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. L3ha7

L3ha7 Well-Known Member

Just gad a quick look and i think upto 10 stocks it is free but it only accepts csv files and some google one can't see the option for pdf.

But I can import directly from my platfirm such as commsec or nabtrade.

Question: If I direct logging in with my nabtrade/commsec username passwords to import the portfolios-will it take into consideration the date I bought my stocks automaticaly or do I have to manually adjust it? And also specify which day was the spp allocated to me etc??

2. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that, for your existing shares, you may have to manually put the dates in (but please don't quote me on that - Sharesight might do it for you, but I preferred to do it myself, just so that I was sure that all the starting values were correct).

I can't remember what happened with the SPP I participated in last year, either - but from memory, it was just treated the same as a purchase.

However, with dividend payments, it pops a little icon next to the associated share once the information has been released, and will even tell you how much you will earn (based on your existing holding), including any franking credits, and grossed-up value. Then on the ex-div or payment date (sorry, I can't remember which one, off hand), you can then go into that share holding and indicate whether the payment was taken as $ or as DRP, and it adjusts your holdings based on that information.

kierank and Parkzilla like this.
  3. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Not much of a fan of software for keeping track of share transactions especially for longer term, low turnover investors. Software Packages come and go. Seen too many things go wrong over time. In the end decided simple spreadsheet works best.

Ynot, truong, LIDM and 1 other person like this.
  4. L3ha7

L3ha7 Well-Known Member

Master has spoken ;)

5. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Yes, indeed I’m the Master. Even have a qualification to prove it:

8706E9CF-2579-4358-9B3D-DA36F15A4A1F.jpeg

:D

Serah likes this.
  6. L3ha7

L3ha7 Well-Known Member

Noooooooooo

@Nodrog your sense of humor is great and above certification validates that.

For me and I believe others -you are a master. Just started reading Peter thornhill thread and some of my current question you have answered long time ago in that thread.

7. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

I get where you're coming from. But I also believe that if a product/service does the job, it tends to last the distance. I still remember using Windows 3.1...... (just sayin' )

Ynot likes this.
  8. Ynot

Ynot Well-Known Member

Sorry this is off topic but speaking of software jogged my memory that I was seeking a cheap, easy to use programme or app to record household items for both insurance and partly family history purposes (I have a number of porcelain and ceramic items from previous generations). Any ideas?

9. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

OK enlighten me. If, as stated by many, there is no intention to sell, why do you need software to track performance? Indeed, why track the performance? I gave doing that stuff away yonks ago.

Now, I just keep the PDF's for Buy, SPPs, and, for some portfolios, DRP's. When the time comes, my Executor will hand all the gumpf to an accountant who will do their thing according to my Will. Ain't gong to be my problem then obviously.

My spreadsheets are huge - not! One to keep a running total of my income, the others the total cost base of the shares so I can ponder, sometimes, where I'll place additional funds.

Always this obsession with performance. Who are we trying to beat? Ourselves?

sharon, truong, Snowball and 10 others like this.
  10. SatayKing

Not a comment on the international exposure but I think you are caught up in the FACTA/CRS thing no matter what. Financial institutions have, or are in the process, of requiring clients to certify under this requirement and some share registry's certainly do. I assume it will filter through to all at some stage.

It's simple for individuals and SMSF's so far, In fact, for my last personal purchase (DUI) it was auto-fill when I checked to see if all details had been recorded correctly.

However, it's a PITA if you deal with deceased estates. Fortunately they didn't need a note from my late great great grandma but it was a fine run thing. Initially, certified copy of Probate, Will, etc as well as the relevant form. Once all that crap was supplied all is good but for a new addition to the holdings (not a top up of an existing one) the relevant form was required (hard copy not online.)

Only one registry so far wanted all that. Others have different requirements.

Nodrog likes this.
  11. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Yet again it’s the same for me. Perhaps it’s your influence on me a long time ago:).

I do also think for some of us it may have something to do with how long one has been investing. It’s a novelty at first tracking performance but after awhile one loses interest.

Another important reason I stopped using investing Software is that if something happened to me my wife would then need to know how to use it. She has a lot of experience in using spreadsheets. They’re simple, easily understood by most and will be around forever.

Ynot likes this.
  12. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

It's not a matter of beating anyone, or even the market - just like to check and see if what I have chosen is performing well, or am I better off disposing of the shares and picking a better performer.

Do you ever dispose of any of your holdings (even a partial sell-off) of any of the big LICs (MLT, WHF etc) as part of a trailing loss, so you can buy back in when the prices are lower? Or do you never sell a single share, and just keep adding (via DRP, DCA etc). Wouldn't you have to keep records of any ins and outs, for tax purposes. I'm interested in learning more from some of the longer-term players.

13. SatayKing

1. Nope except when I dumped WAM and WIL.

2. Nope to first part; Yep to second.

3. Yep to the extent of Buy, SPP or any DRP.

Wasn't criticising those who wish to keep track of such things. People can do what they wish to. Simply was curious as to the why when some state an intention never to sell. In that regard, there is no legislation passed by Parliament to say I have to, so I don't. I'm lazy in that way.

sharon, pippen, KayTea and 2 others like this.
  14. L3ha7

L3ha7 Well-Known Member

I understand @SatayKing and @Nodrog points but I do know from where @KayTea is coming from. I think it is more like personal satisfaction to see the graphs of building wealth (sometimes may go down).

Some experienced investors with large portfolios do mor have to worry about graphs because they just happy getting big fat divis lol

kierank likes this.
  15. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

With LICs I’ve only ever sold a couple of LICs because I wanted to simplify and reduce the number of holdings. Pretty much a one off event some time ago. Or if I’ve been an idiot and purchased something in a moment of stupidity then got rid of it soon after eg ALF. Hopefully this will never happen again.

But I don’t intend to sell any LIC holdings. Why would I. The aim is to to build an ever increasing income stream. No one has put it better than @SatayKing who posted this quote on another forum around 15 years ago:

488EE7DC-BB54-4608-B839-A15614D6762A.jpeg

sharon and Anne11 like this.
  16. orangestreet

orangestreet Well-Known Member

I use Sharesight and like it very much too. I am no tech wizard, but my understanding is that it is cloud based, so maybe it is better than an app (even though there is an app if you want)? But I have pondered over the fact that a company like Sharesight can quite easily be bought by some other company or they change their interface to an extent that it becomes unusable. Also worrying is that there appears to be little or no competition to a service like Sharesight.

But as it stands, I have found it to be excellent. To me, tracking performance is a secondary benefit. Where it shines for me is the ability to record all purchases and save the electronic confirmations (PDF) from Commsec. I also record all dividend payments and upload dividend statements. For safety and my own sanity, I maintain spreadsheets and save the statements electronically offline too. I am in front of a computer for in excess of 40 hours a week, and at my life stage, I have the time and energy to maintain these activities.

Sharesight uses all the information that is input and presents it in a way that makes sense to me. It also confirms if I am on target and gives me visible motivation whenever I need it. At $250 for both my DT and SMSF, (or thereabouts) it is cheap as chips. In between buying both in my family trust and SMSF, the chances of missing something is pretty high. Sharesight automates almost everything and structures the way I record transactions and keeps me disciplined in maintaining my books.

I also find it useful to print out neat reports out and use it when discussing it with my wife. I also use an EOFY report that Sharesight prints out that can be handed in to my accountant. I have at times found that my spreadsheets and Sharesight have slight discrepancies and when I go over them, 9 times out of 10, it is my miscalculation by missing a formula or two in excel or I have simply forgotten to update a dividend payment in my spreadsheet. Almost each time, Sharesight, through automation gets it right.

Assuming Sharesight remains usable and continues to provide value for money, if I get hit by a bus, it will be an excellent source of historical information for my wife to access. Everything she will need – from purchase dates, timing of dividends and SPP purchases; it is all there.

Last edited: 19th Feb, 2018
    sharon, truong, Anne11 and 6 others like this.
  17. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Given we’re rarely selling there’s very few outs to record. It takes a couple of minutes to simply record the cost base info for a transaction in a spreadsheet eg date, number of shares, purchase price, total cost. It’s taken straight from the contract note.

Besides how often do most long term investors buy more LICs? I might only buy more shares around a dozen times a year. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

Same with dividends which are recorded for annual tax purposes. There’s only two dividends per LIC to record each year. Bugger all work. Or you could just give the accountant the Statements. Other than by law (tax returns kept for 5 years generally) there’s no need for dividend information to be kept for long term purposes.

18. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

There’s only one figure of interest to me, gross dividend income for the year.

Looking at graphs and portfolio value tends to have you focusing excessively on capital growth. Good when the market’s going up but might depress you when it’s going in the opposite direction. Maintaining focus purely on income removes a lot of the stress most experience with shares, ie capital volatility.

truong, Snowball, @FruitCake@ and 5 others like this.
  19. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

20. monk

monk Well-Known Member

PIC just announced an increased dividend of .03c,up from .02.5 prev.,.02.2 and .02 before that.Thanks for the hot tip from SK & Nodrog!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.