LIC & LIT Listed Investment Companies (LICs) Q1 2018

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by The Falcon, 1st Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. @FruitCake@

@FruitCake@ Well-Known Member

I also forgot to add that the rules I created for myself are more to make this a process and help me form a habit now that my previous habit of just blindly putting everything into our mortgage on auto pilot has drawn to a close. This portfolio will be my new “mortgage”.

pippen, oracle and KayTea like this.
  2. @FruitCake@

Yea definitely going the DCA route regardless of what the market is doing. And yes that’s what I was thinking of using NTA for in that regard. It’s why I didn’t buy Argo first even though I very much would like to buy some Argo in the future. If all of them were at a premium, I’ll just buy the one with the lowest premium, either way the rule is I have to buy something.

I was thinking about VAS but I don’t think they are 100% franked and with something as concentrated as the ASX I felt it could use the active management hence why I haven’t considered VAS at this point or any of the other ETFs for the ASX.

3. L3ha7

L3ha7 Well-Known Member

Much appreciated @@FruitCake@

Not sure if you read tge below but I came across this afternoon as I have started to read the new (for me) thread:-

Last edited: 17th Feb, 2018
  4. @FruitCake@

I haven’t come across Nodrog’s post above but it sounds like a pretty similar conclusion I ended up coming to after spending the last couple of years reading on people’s different approaches to investing from Bogleheads (that’s where I started when I first heard of ETFs) to LICs, direct shares etc which is how I eventually ended up here.

After that, the biggest question I asked myself and my husband was at the end of the day, for the next 20 years, what are we willing to live with? Getting our face ripped off in this journey is not a matter of if but when, I presented the scenario to my husband that there will be times that we will see our portfolio halve, and it is what we do in that event that will have the biggest impact on our success I think. My view is that hopefully when that time comes, we will have the stones to hold, and refer to our cash wedge to ride out the storm but like I said, it’s easy for me to say that now that I don’t have too much skin in the game yet :D

As I learn more, our portfolio will evolve and adjust and mistakes are guaranteed but I think to do nothing in the pursuit of the perfect plan and putting everything into the bank is worse.

5. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

Have you thought of using something like Sharesight? I used to do my own spreadsheet, too, but I've found that Sharesight makes it so much easier - I attach copies of buy/sell/div notifications etc to every trade, and it charts/tracks everything for me. It's definitely worth the subscription cost (which can be written off as an expense, anyway).

6. turk

turk Well-Known Member

Glad you're back.

Perhaps a few of us should have our own exclusive LIC GOP thread.

#GOP Grumpy old people, need to include the ladies, hate to make them grumpier:p

SatayKing and KayTea like this.
  7. jprops

jprops Well-Known Member

I assume this means you are now debt free on your home. If not, you may like to consider debt recycling.

8. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Fantastic. Exactly the same for me.

SatayKing likes this.
  9. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

@SatayKing I can’t understand why any of your posts would be deleted. You’re one of the most well behaved members around. All very strange.

Anyhow glad you posted again. I was in mourning for around 13 years when you left the Shares Guru forum around 2004 till not that long ago when you reappeared on PC in 2017.

@SatayKing and Me in a happy mood:

EA876F4F-B214-4A6D-9E74-904A75F3F326.jpeg

sharon, Ynot, Redwing and 3 others like this.
  10. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Vote 1 @turk forum leader for LIC GOP - but don't let The Trumpet know about it.

Nah, the Mods made a call as is their right.

Sometimes I feel we try and get things right, end up in knots of indecision and do naught. Not unreasonable and I'm as guilty of this as the next person. My observation, as it applies to me, is I'll never know if I'm right or wrong until well after the event.

Take my purchase of DUI as a case in point. Not great yield but it's dividend is consistent. NTA is and was so so. However, I purchased as I wanted more International exposure alongside PMC and PIC. So it fitted my aim. Didn't throw everything I had at it of course. That's not the way I operate.

11. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

LIC GOP Club sounds like a good idea.

Perhaps our mascot could be:

3A139B48-C904-4B75-8AC6-02A967DD925D.jpeg

sharon, @FruitCake@ and KayTea like this.
  12. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

13. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

Just out of interest - do any of you look at gaining international exposure through Australian domiciled ETFs like BetaShares GGUS/NDQ/WRLD funds?

I understand the need for spreading the risk and diversifying between local and foreign markets, but can't stand the idea of the whole FATCA and W8 forms etc when investing directly in overseas exchanges/funds etc.

These ETFs seem like a great option (for CG, more than divs, as far as I can see), but I haven't heard anyone talk about them (either positively or negatively), so I'd be interested to hear the viewpoint of the gurus in this thread.

14. L3ha7

L3ha7 Well-Known Member

Thanks @KayTea , will check it out. Do we have to upload on the same day we buy/sell?

15. Coota9

Coota9 Well-Known Member

@L3ha7 No can be uploaded anytime

16. L3ha7

L3ha7 Well-Known Member

Thanks @Coota9 , much appreciated.

Some of my purchases are going back couple of years, would like to see how the hraph shows all the ups and downs.

17. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Yep, I use CMC (to buy and sell) linked to Sharesight which does all my tracking.

I have a Sharesight Expert subscription which cost me $429 this year.

Cripes, I can lose a lot more than that in an hour when the ASX is open :eek:.

KayTea likes this.
  18. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Why not simply Vanguard’s VGS and VGE / VAE? Domiciled locally, cheap, great diversification and extremely likely to be around long term.

All these other smart beta / niche ETFs are unlikely to outperform the Standard cap weighted index ETFs such as VGS long term and have higher fees.

My other concern is that a lot of these niche ETFs are in my mind too small. Hence there’s the risk they might not be around long term.

I’m personally not a fan of smart beta product.

Ynot and KayTea like this.
  19. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

If you set it up correctly, the buy/sell transactions will automatically be added to/subtracted from your portfolio. But you can get copies of any buy/sell/div paperwork from your personal records (or download them from the various holders), and add them to your Sharesight records at any time.

20. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

Thanks @Nodrog - always love getting other people's opinions (forces me to justify my own, or do a bit more research, or both.......)

Nodrog likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.