LIC & LIT Listed Investment Companies (LICs) in 2017

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by The Falcon, 1st Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick65

Rick65 Well-Known Member

Many thanks Monk and I get this.... An observation which seems to support your comments.
    Even though there are 14 million options being sought by buyers this morning and only half a million on offer: The vast majority of buyers are at prices well below the current price.
    Good stuff and much appreciated.

2. monk

monk Well-Known Member

Hi Rick65,orice of options will always be below the share price,if I take your meaning correctly here,this morning is 0.27c down from yesterday.You could sell them for a small gain,then hope share price drops way down then you can buy then if you wanted more,alternately if share price jumps then you can exercise your options still at $1.18 if you hold the option.

Rick65 likes this.
  3. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

Yes spot on.

4. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Seems like a reasonable rule of thumb for direct shares dividend suspension but for quality LICs I see a missed dividend(s) as a buying opportunity. PMC got hammered at that time and gee I’m glad I took advantage of the buying opportunity.

Satayking, like you, I’d love a repeat of a similar buying opportunity again.

Anne11 and Globetrekker like this.
  5. Globetrekker

Globetrekker Well-Known Member

Any love on here for AMCIL (AMH)? Seems to be a hybrid between AFI and MIR (and run by the same people) investing in both large and small companies, with the smaller companies looking quite similar to those in MIR’s portfolio. But whilst MIR and AFI both trade at a premium, AMH is currently at an 8% discount. Relatively low MER and no performance fees. I guess people don’t rate their stock picking ability for the larger companies?

6. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

From memory it’s pretty much the same stock pickers used by AFI / MIR / DJW. In theory AMH is the best ideas from AFI and MIR. However it’s more active and growth focused. Dividend reliability / consistency is not the main focus.

@ErYan I think may own (or did own) AMH. Care to comment please mate based on your experience with it?

Globetrekker likes this.
  7. monk

monk Well-Known Member

Actually bought a parcel of these earlier this week for all the above reasons plus one of the directors recently bought a swag of them.

Globetrekker likes this.
  8. Rick65

Rick65 Well-Known Member

Sold at 0.029 and happy with that.

monk likes this.
  9. D&J

D&J Well-Known Member

I've only recently discovered LICs so need to do a lot of reading but just a quick (probably silly) question..

Do people invest in LICs in a SMSF or do the additional fees make it less beneficial ??

My wife and I are going to set up a SMSF shortly, we were originally going to buy a property but are now thinking of sitting tight to assess options.. and I guess we good start buying some LICs in the meantime or even consider this as a LT option

10. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with LICs in a SMSF, a good investment is a good investment after all. Low tax environment will see you get an added bonus as in general LICs divs are fully franked.

11. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

And the more popular ones have dirt cheap fees. Around 0.12 to 0.16%.

12. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Whatever one may say about LICs, they are not necessarily staid and boring - although SOL isn't classed as an LIC but is considered boring.

Acorn to acquire via share issues to SOL some of Sol's assets. Sol will have around 13% of Acorn. Announced on ASX this morning.

13. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Yes. SOL has been very eager to increase it’s exposure to Funds Management and Technology Sector in recent times.

14. monk

monk Well-Known Member

Me too but at a lowly 0.028,I must get some trading tips from you.

Rick65 likes this.
  15. D&J

D&J Well-Known Member

Thanks Nodrog and Hodor, will def do more reading to try and learn more about them!

16. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

17. Rick65

Rick65 Well-Known Member

That I would not advise.................... :)

monk likes this.
  18. pippen

pippen Well-Known Member

I have been stalking the old Somersoft forums of late reading up on ppls buying behaviours in down turns and their emotions and behavioural aspects of investing and came across a few nuggets of wisdom from the falcon!

"I know a couple of ppl with very large stock portfolios that simply bought and kept buying a reasonably diversified portfolio of industrials over the long term, and never sold during the downturns but bought more stock. It's not rocket science."

Also "dollar cost averaging combined with some dry powder and the confidence to buy in major corrections will provide out performance, the second bit is difficult to achieve when the talking heads are claiming the sky is falling, so step 1 set up a dca program and never ever mess with it, and step 2 educate yourself as to how markets work and a history of financial market cycles as this will help you on the second part".

Quality posts right there people's!

trinity168, sharon, Snowball and 5 others like this.
  19. Martin73

Martin73 Well-Known Member

Page 7 of today's AFR has an advertisement by Wilson Asset Management looking for a Global Equities Analyst to help in the search for 'undervalued international growth companies'.. Sounds like an interesting gig for someone with the right skill set.

20. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

https://dpsi7pmz5b6vt.cloudfront.ne.../2907/Monthly_LIC_Report_14_December_2017.pdf

As if Wilson isn’t already getting high enough fees:

Last edited: 16th Dec, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.