LIC & LIT Listed Investment Companies (LICs) in 2016

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by The Falcon, 1st Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BingoMaster

BingoMaster Well-Known Member

Im pretty sure his time frame was longer than 15 years right? I think he said in the interview he started using microsoft money in 1988 or something. So more like 28 years

pippen likes this.
  2. johnpendlebury

johnpendlebury Well-Known Member

Yeh, I now realise that.

3. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

"STICK TO WHAT YOU KNOW AND UNDERSTAND"

Seeing I went to the trouble of typing this up in a email reply to someone I thought I might as well post it here. It sums up my simple approach and highlights that I'm not all that clever when it comes to investing. An amateur investor is all I am.

The discussion was initially about HHV's current drama where Peter Hall has quit and sold 20% of his holding to SOL. And importantly the risks associated with external management. That is, other Mgrs often through activism don't have to buy anything, they can just make an offer to the Funds "investors" to change the LIC's current investment mgr! If successful the new mgr has paid nothing but gets all future fees or can wind up the LIC particularly if it was trading at a sizable discount to realise the market value of the portfolio.

Don't panic when you read my view on WHF and BKI. Despite external management I still consider these low risk due to a loyal and conservative shareholder base etc. I continue to hold these and add to them but less so than to the others. They will be relatively smaller holdings overtime compared to the older internally managed LICs:
    NOT ADVICE:)

{Note - thread continues here: Listed Investment Companies (LICs) in 2017}

Last edited by a moderator: 20th Nov, 2017
    Anne11, orangestreet and pippen like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.