LIC & LIT Listed Investment Companies (LICs) 2022

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by RogTheBear, 1st Jan, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Given the amount of chatter on shares in other threads, it will be interesting to see if some will embrace a 10.25c dividend certainty over possible CG for the present. Or maybe for a number there will be a disenchantment with shares in general

The past does not repeat but we surely do I think.

AzzA_ and Islay like this.
  2. Isla_Nublar

Isla_Nublar Well-Known Member

I didn't even know that the US market had dropped 20% (nor do I care), but just shows just disinterested I am in my shareholdings that I hadn't even noticed. Does that mean I'm disenchanted and should pay more attention to the media? Some would suggest that's the case...

AzzA_ likes this.
  3. monk

monk Well-Known Member

Happy to embrace a 10.25c dividend next month from WHF along with a .012 from QVE. With market currently in decline a stable dividend will suffice.
    Went to a WAM conference in Brisbane yesterday, the first since covid, big decline in numbers due to covid I presume. Lots of re-assurance for the nervous nellys around current volatility & potential 'losses' over the next while. Still think it's odd that some long term investors are concerned by CG/loss over the income aspect. A good presentation overall along with a free lunch, notebook & pen :).

ASXGJ1, DJC and AzzA_ like this.
  4. Isla_Nublar

Isla_Nublar Well-Known Member

Surely you could have argued for more notebooks and pens - one for your holding, one for a partners holding, a joint holding, SMSF holding, family trust holding, deceased estate holding. Could then save up money you would normally spend on stationary to spend on chicken breast - a favourite of this crowd (or so it seems)

Redwing and AzzA_ like this.
  5. monk

monk Well-Known Member

That would have taken too long & I might have missed out on pigging out on the smoked salmon focaccia :D.

Isla_Nublar likes this.
  6. RogTheBear

RogTheBear Well-Known Member

I'm quite happy with the WHF and QVE dividends. Having retired, sort of against my will, into the tail end of a pandemic, Russia v Ukraine, rising inflation for the first time in a generation, and a (presumed - it's only 7pm) change of government, I'm all for dividend stability from my LICs.

Buzzman81, Heinz57, Redwing and 2 others like this.
  7. Realist35

Realist35 Well-Known Member

I sold the other day all my individual shares (cba, wes, qve, wbc) and bought VGS with the proceeds. I sleep much better now knowing that I'm well diversified. The remaining shares are aui, whf, arg and Sol. I'll keep those, but going forward everything goes into VGS. I aim for vas (lics) :vgs = 50:50.

sharon, Froxy, pippen and 5 others like this.
  8. Zmfb039

Zmfb039 Member

Hi guys, some interesting discussion about WAM. Got me thinking about compounding dividends vs growth. Since it's inception in about 2000 WAM looks to have grown 162.8%. over the same timestamp AFI has grown about 185.2% and ARG 193.3%. whilst the growth has been better in the older LICs; my back of the envelope calcs suggest the compounding higher dividend for WAM puts its infront. Even using bearish dividends for WAM (4% annual dividend for AFI & ARG and a 6% yield for WAM) it's ahead.

Wondering what I have missed. Appreciate the fees are higher but it paid through 2008-2009 and payout ratios are currently less than AFI and ARG.

Last edited: 27th May, 2022
  9. monk

monk Well-Known Member

Past performance etc.etc. the big unknown.
    I'd held WAM for quite a number of years & sold last batch a few months ago. My reason was that it consistently trades well over NTA & while this could be justified with the high dividends,my feelings were if they had a bad trot & had to drop this amount, how badly would the market react? Think they only have enough reserves for 12 mths of divs, whereas WLE which I hold has around 2.5 yrs of reserves, yes their div is less than WAM. AFI & ARG hold many years of reserves (someone here would know exactly, I'm too lazy to check).
    I am far from an expert & I know people still happy to hold WAM & to add in current times, but just not for me. At a recent investor day conference I attended there were many happy holders there, I enjoyed the talkfest & free lunch :).

sharon, nofriends and Zmfb039 like this.
  10. SatayKing

I shall wait upon @Redwing to present a number of those charts he posts.

Redwing and Zmfb039 like this.
  11. monk

monk Well-Known Member

Yep, always a reality check.

12. Zmfb039

Zmfb039 Member

Great info, thanks for the response.

monk likes this.
  13. Realist35

Guys, anyone knows why such a terrible performance from SOL? It's more than 30% off the peak.

14. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

You know me too well, I did check but didn't post :D
    upload_2022-5-27_20-36-39.png

upload_2022-5-27_20-39-20.png

upload_2022-5-27_20-37-53.png

upload_2022-5-27_20-37-9.png

upload_2022-5-27_20-38-23.png
    upload_2022-5-27_20-41-13.png

Attached Files:

Zmfb039, monk, Islay and 4 others like this.
  15. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

There was a 10-for-1 share split in Washington H. Soul Pattinson (reminds me of my FMG days)

16. Realist35

And this is why the share price dropped so much?

17. SatayKing

No. The split occurred 20 years ago if you look at the chart.

Realist35 and Redwing like this.
  18. pippen

pippen Well-Known Member

Inghams is floundering, a reminder for me to go shopping today for chicken breast

Islay likes this.
  19. Islay

Islay Well-Known Member

pippen likes this.
  20. RogTheBear

RogTheBear Well-Known Member

One other reason for holding / not holding a particular (LIC or other) stock, where the intention is for dividends paid out as cash, ie. retired, want the money, no longer compounding, is when it pays its dividends - especially if you are structuring a portfolio to make it easy for someone else to live on in the future.

The Wilson funds pay dividends way later than the other LICs - not sure why exactly - but they do lob money into the account from April through May on a standard 6 month reporting date of 31 December - depending upon which LICs you hold.

That can be quite useful in "smoothing" :D cash flow, although if that's the only reason you hold them, then it's probably not a good enough one. I have small amounts in a few of them - at the moment I'm liking the larger dividends, but I'm aware of the price performance. I may never buy any more, but probably won't sell these, and what happens happens, in terms of dividends.

WHF is also pretty useful in this regard, as also are the non-CBA big four banks, if you feel like holding them.

Zmfb039 and SatayKing like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.