LIC & LIT Listed Investment Companies (LICs) 2022

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by RogTheBear, 1st Jan, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pippen

pippen Well-Known Member

Are you trying to leave a sour taste of poultry in my mouth ;)

2. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Sour is this:

upload_2022-5-8_12-58-13.png

Redwing and pippen like this.
  3. pippen

pippen Well-Known Member

More time to enjoy chicken and coffee beans then!

4. SatayKing

Not really. Or maybe coffee gave me inspiration to discover how to work around the issue. It was of no consequence to me but for one of my kids it was.

pippen likes this.
  5. ASXGJ1

ASXGJ1 Well-Known Member

Unless you sit on 9 figure sum like Warren Buffett it will be hard to time market in this volatile time.

I have been thinking of buying VAS for sometime but avoiding due to poor yield which is driven by highly inflated underlying stock with high P/E ratio.

pippen likes this.
  6. SatayKing

7. pippen

pippen Well-Known Member

Quick question @SatayKing, in your investing tenure have you always been fully invested or have you ever built up surplus funds as cash, knowing full well you won't get a great return but is there is a degree of sleep at night factor knowing you can either buy more or just have says 2 years income sitting there for some unknown reason???? Curious!!

8. Froxy

Froxy Well-Known Member

Vanguard has the current yield around 4.6% plus franking...

Attached Files:

Anne11 likes this.
  9. RogTheBear

RogTheBear Well-Known Member

I'm more cashed up than I want to be, but as the shares I want to buy - the LICs, VAS etc. - I want to buy in my super account, not outside, I'm patiently waiting for 1 July whence I can put another chunk of cash in and deploy appropriately. I'll still be more cashed up than I want to be after that, but I don't necessarily want to get more shares outside of super, but then there's the opportunity cost of sitting in cash while I wait for another 12 months to tick over so I can put more in ... :(

(Yes I know about the bring forward rule - ineligible due to DB pension multiplier :mad:)

At least, hopefully, the rates for cash will start to get better, although the majors are sitting on piles of the stuff, so it'll be a slow increase.

Anne11 and Froxy like this.
  10. RogTheBear

RogTheBear Well-Known Member

That's interesting - I was having trouble getting in during the week, when I was trying to change the instructions on all the staff shares I've accumulated over the decades. I got in eventually, but I was thinking "it's them, not me..."

11. SatayKing

Yes. Informed my kid to click on "Investor Centre" and not the main web-site.

So I reckon it is them!

12. SatayKing

upload_2022-5-8_19-0-41.png

Anne11 likes this.
  13. SatayKing

14. SatayKing

15. ASXGJ1

ASXGJ1 Well-Known Member

Sir, I respect amount of experience you have in investing. While I try to learn it is sometimes difficult to learn without experiencing .. !

I decided not to touch WAM after reading and understanding that for last 5 years they failed to provide any capital gain but the fact is that they provided some handsome dividend yield over the years where saving rates were below 1.3% and most if not all LIC & ETF failed to provide similar dividend yield (exception is the LIC that participate high risk investment vehicles). Even in my second time I bought WAM $2.17 and only to find price went down to $2.08 within 3 days.. :D so timing market is just too hard or impossible.

I sold and then bought WAM again for the reason that I will be sleeping on it as long as GW is around (I am not sure if he has children who are going to be manager after him) but aim to maintain dividend flow coming in while capital gain is of least important to me as I use dividend to invest further in other stocks and income resources plus some home refurbishments !

Similar to WAM I heard about banks particular someone told me that in past WBC almost gone close to bankruptcy but still I currently hold 80% of my investment in NAB, ANZ, WBC & BEN with WBC highest and if ANZ falls further then I will increase position in that one because unlike all other stocks and LIC/ETF the banks going to give dividends full franked at a yield higher then biggest LIC (AFI/ARG etc.) and going to keep giving as long as society needs bank particularly this four major banks (obviously CBA as well). so I formed of the view that Banks and WAM gives me core income which i will invest in other instruments to diversify over the time.

VAS is next after banks that I can feel that my investment remains to the extent safe but yield is just not there for me.

obviously everything is my opinion.

Last edited: 8th May, 2022
  16. ASXGJ1

ASXGJ1 Well-Known Member

I use marketindex data for all the stocks as I find it most easy to use website without any nuisance of advertisement (I am paid member with $36/year).... and the web layout is super simple but effective like google (easy to load & easy to navigate) . it gives you wat you want from stock information website.

for me VAS yield based on below image is roughly $3/$91.45 = 3.2% as I use average and bit conservative to account for any future downturn. I see VAS may benefit from BHP dividend coming out next quarter (after June I think) due to Woodside transaction but it won't be permanent.

upload_2022-5-8_19-28-11.png

Froxy likes this.
  17. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

How does that image give a yield of $3? The image itself says 6% incl franking.

18. SatayKing

@ASXGJ1 I'm not attempting to convince you one way or the other. I simply placed the views contained in a couple of opinion pieces. I'm sure if I searched I could find opinions to the contrary.

What you do is up to you an no one else. And in my opinion nor is there any need for you to justify your approach.

Redwing and Anne11 like this.
  19. ASXGJ1

ASXGJ1 Well-Known Member

I ignore the franking part because for ETF that area fluctuates lot so only look at the blue line and then what i see is mostly dividend stayed between 2.5 to 3.5 so I picked $3 being average to keep calculation conservative in my opinion.. but others can work on different approach..!

20. Silverson

Silverson Well-Known Member

I think that may be gross yield (including franking)??
    Would love if someone could clarify!
    Looking forward to an increase yield now that many companies are paying dividends close to their pre Covid levels

willair and Froxy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.