LIC & LIT Listed Investment Companies (LICs) 2021

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by Ross36, 1st Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

And as an adjunct

pippen likes this.
  2. pippen

pippen Well-Known Member

Seems about right, wouldn't mind it to hit 6 dollars again, get more shares for my pesos, 50,000 to 60,000 argo shares as a goal at this price is taking its toll on me!!!

3. SatayKing

I understand but as you know there is nothing you can personally do about the price. You either buy or you don't or place the funds elsewhere. As far as I am concerned as long as the funds are placed does it matter?

Of course, there are different views on that and many, some of whom are involved in the funds and associated industries, get so tied up in the numbers they tend to forget part of investing isn't about numbers or performance or sectors. It can be about a person's contentment on where they are situated.

mdk likes this.
  4. pippen

pippen Well-Known Member

Getting to the point where I snoop around the discount aisles at woolies looking for a reduced item especially of the chicken variety ;)

SatayKing likes this.
  5. Froxy

Froxy Well-Known Member

MIR is hard to get into around NTA or below but opportunity does occasionally come up, but not great for regular contributions.

Been discussed here before by others but AMH appears to be abit of a hybrid between MIR and AFI. Trades around 5% discount. Has outperformed asx200 mostly. Downside is dividend is not a priority when compared to other Aussie LICs.

DanW and SatayKing like this.
  6. SatayKing

Move to Tasmania (???) and apply for a job here. They may give staff discounts.

Marion Bay Free Range Skinless Chicken Breasts - Ziggys

7. pippen

pippen Well-Known Member

nofriends likes this.
  8. monk

monk Well-Known Member

Thanks for that, watched a little bit on the VAS vs 4 Old. Sch. Lic's one, will watch more later just out of interest.

pippen likes this.
  9. DanW

DanW Well-Known Member

Thanks! I didn't know about the Wilson marketing as I'm not really following any channels that marketing comes through on, I just dig into earnings histories etc and they keep coming up. They have quite a few options but yes it seems always trading at a premium. Possibly due to some of the yield coming from trading profits not just from appreciation of the underlying shares.

I'll keep looking into LICs into next week, just have to figure out my tax bill for last year so I know how much I have left to spend after paying ATO.

As for return on tennis balls I can only agree.. if it was golf balls though - my return on them is zero..

Thanks, AMH never came up in my hunt for some reason but I'll add it to my list to check out. At first glance it looks like it leans to larger caps than MIR does.. but a discount is always nice

Last edited: 16th Oct, 2021
    Froxy likes this.
  10. DanW

DanW Well-Known Member

Also starting looking at SOL - didn't expect such volatility. I noticed it mentioned a few times in the past but what are opinions now?

Attached Files:

• SOL.jpg
      SOL.jpg
      File size:
      38.4 KB
      Views:
  11. monk

monk Well-Known Member

From that youtube channel tyought this was an interesting & unbiased comparison between VAS & the 4 Lic's.( Bit of babble at the beginning though )

DanW and pippen like this.
  12. pippen

pippen Well-Known Member

Haven't seen that one yet, I was having a snoop of Oz finance tv a while ago, does a pretty good job of disecting balance sheet and P/L statements and shows where companies pay divs from as well as borrowings and fees for managers/directors.

monk likes this.
  13. monk

monk Well-Known Member

Hope after watching it doesn't leave you crying into your chicken marinade :oops:, I hate diluted marinade :mad::D.

pippen likes this.
  14. SatayKing

@DanW

Further to MIR you may like to go through this thread.

Why the love for Mirrabooka Investments? [LIC & LIT]

Also of possible interest is the presentation to the annual general meeting. It shows it has held a number of companies for over 10 years. I cannot recall the last time it was required to dispose of a holding because it was included in the Top 50. It has but I cannot remember which company.

https://www.asx.com.au/asx/statistics/displayAnnouncement.do?display=pdf&idsId=02431367

Only comment I can make on SOL is I held it at one stage but as I now only hold ETFs/LIC and not directly in companies it is no longer part of my holdings.

DanW likes this.
  15. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

FB_IMG_1634422034751.jpg

16. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

To be on the safe side I like my water filtered through a brewery:cool:

17. SatayKing

One can only hope that the LICs I hold have dumped a number of energy providers.

Wholesale prices of electricity dropped below $0 (you read that right) in South Australia at one point and in Victoria over a couple of months, it went from $30 per megawatt hour to $0.01.

As for ETF's, well, those bloody speculators don't do it right by me sometimes.

mvsim, j.m.blah and monk like this.
  18. monk

monk Well-Known Member

Wonder if there is any flow through to the consumer?

19. SatayKing

There could be but probably not the way you think there will be. The power companies want to charge households for providing solar despite not spending one cent of capital on constructing power generators on the roofs of those households.

It's what happens when you gold plate the poles and wires for the 10% mandated return, give it to shareholders and not invest a portion of those funds in stabilising the grid to accommodate renewable energy.

Do a search on integrated mini grids. CSIRO, and others, have done extensive studies on this.

And I might add if you search the Australian Parliamentary Library you will find many report, some going back almost 20 years, on renewable energy replacing coal-fired base load generators. And there are a number of studies on redeploying disused wells for hydro instead of Snowy Hydro 2.

Last edited: 22nd Oct, 2021
    Froxy likes this.
  20. monk

monk Well-Known Member

Oh yes. My comment was tongue in cheek by the way, more pie-in-the-sky thinking.

SatayKing likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.