LIC & LIT Listed Investment Companies (LICs) 2021

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by Ross36, 1st Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

Those sorts of analogies usually end up with rapidly bubbling water and well cooked frogs called "mum and dad" investors.

j.m.blah likes this.
  2. Baker

Baker Well-Known Member

Drafted Under the Influence. Should've waited until the morning to hit send.

We've all been there.

Last edited: 14th Oct, 2021
    APINDEX and Silverson like this.
  3. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

And now back to Caffeine

[​IMG]

4. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

I always look for the positives. My coffee will never get cold in Hell.

Froxy, Redwing and pippen like this.
  5. pippen

pippen Well-Known Member

Spicy flame grilled chicken wings anyone :cool:

6. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

But it's probably home brand instant powdered.

willair likes this.
  7. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

upload_2021-10-15_8-50-26.png

[​IMG]

Never giveup likes this.
  8. SatayKing

It's either that or Starbucks. Choose.

Hell, Michigan

number 5 likes this.
  9. DanW

DanW Well-Known Member

I'm looking for something outside of the ASX top 50.. was considering:
    -WMI WAM Micro Cap - looks to be a massive premium over NTA though.. is this usually the case?
    -MIR - A bit of a premium, but has Ex-50 shares I want - might have to wait for it to reduce
    -MFF Capital - International/US shares in a LIC - Seems to be at a discount

Looking at Firstlinks LIC reports and updates they should provide a weekly estimate on Monday of NTAs.
    Do you guys use this and think its accurate enough to buy LICs middle of the month?

10. SatayKing

First off, I have held MIR for quite a few years. Still buy them to round up DRP allocation and sometimes if a SPP is on offer. At one stage I was looking at Ex-20 but didn't feel it was sufficiently Ex for me. Plus I do like MIR can chose to get into IPOs and it can dispose of or reduce certain holdings. Not that the managers get it right all the time.

I'm pretty sure the management fee of MIR is a lot lower than WMI or MFF - I haven't looked at them very much as they do not interest me.

I cannot help you with the NTA thing. Not something I follow now. As for waiting for the price to reduce it probably will at some stage. I don't know when though.

The 5G vaccine communication with Bill G appears to be on the blink. Just bloody knew these vaccines don't work.

DanW likes this.
  11. DanW

DanW Well-Known Member

Thanks I'll keep an eye on MIR next week once the cash goes in. Not so much waiting for the price, just watching the ebb and flow of the NTA premium. If premium is too high I might get something else with a larger margin of safety builtin. I learnt from watching the property market that waiting for absolute prices to reduce is mostly a waste of time (and money).

MFF doesn't have the franking advantage of LICs, and an ETF may be better for overseas stuff. However the discount is quite large at the moment which has my arbitrage senses tingling..

Looking at NTA, I also noticed CIN has a huge discount below NTA (something like 20%). It seems EVT (event hospitality/cinemas) is their major holding and the price has surged recently probably due to the excitement about COVID re-opening. Possibly CIN hasn't caught up to the EVT price or the investors in CIN aren't as exciting about the re-opening as those who buy EVT directly.

SatayKing likes this.
  12. SatayKing

I know very little about CIN apart from it and EVT having a cross holding with Alan Rydge being chair of both. I do know AUI has EVT. Not sure where it sits though.

DanW likes this.
  13. SatayKing

By the way @DanW I do very little now in regard to looking at various shares or even what I hold. I'm out of touch to be honest. All the LICs I have are in partial DRP and each payment I round up (OCD - Obsessive Coffee Disorder.) That's basically the extent of my investing activity. Been that way for a bit.

Mind you I may invest in tennis balls. They have a high rate of return. Reduces stress too.

DanW likes this.
  14. monk

monk Well-Known Member

Read somewhere that MFF had bad year last year so likely a reason for discount but then checking the Firstlinks report it's mostly at a discount anyway. Reckon Firstlinks is a good indicator for checking performance across the years.
    MIR I've never held but I probably should.
    WMI I've held since it was released & Lic's in the Wilson stable always seem to trade at a premium, their usually high dividend is a bit addictive when looking for income & Wilson's do a great job of marketing thus they have a good following, whether this is a good thing or not going forward is up to the individual, though looking back at long term performance of some of these funds have learnt this is not necessarily a good thing going forward.
    When making a purchase I do check premium/disc to NTA as don't want to pay too high a price ie. $1.20 for a $1.00 worth of value. this was a rule many follow. Then I buy index ETF if funds must be deployed.
    I've learnt a lot from the many more experienced posters here especially @SatayKing , though I'd ignore his hot tip re: investing in tennis balls, he obviously hasn't had his full dose of caffiene as yet.

15. SatayKing

Buy them when they are dropping, wait for the bounce then an overhead lob to someone else.

Fully caffeinated.

monk likes this.
  16. monk

monk Well-Known Member

Ummm, well yes, I can see the logic there, right you are then, tennis balls it is o_O.
    (HEEELP :eek:)

17. pippen

pippen Well-Known Member

YouTube : Oz finance tv channel is a eye opener, has a crack at all lics as well as other managed funds.

18. SatayKing

Aren't you well? If so:

Gett better.png

19. pippen

pippen Well-Known Member

Chicken breast price rises are doing a number on my mental health and Argo is around $9.30, double whammy :(

20. SatayKing

Sorry to learn that.

apk and pippen like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.