LIC & LIT Listed Investment Companies (LICs) 2020

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by RogTheBear, 1st Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isla_Nublar

Isla_Nublar Well-Known Member

Conversation starter - for those with SMSF, would you go that route again and establish a SMSF, would you use something like a member direct fund in an industry/retail fund but still chose your own shares, or would you just go an "off the shelf" fund (industry or retail) and forget about it. I find it interesting that a few here invest in LICs / ETFs as they cbf (I'm one of them), yet they can be bothered to run a SMSF.

number 5 likes this.
  2. number 5

number 5 Well-Known Member

Good question, being younger (32, wife 27) I never felt like we had enough in super to go down the SMSF route. We are now there, but I haven't done so yet. I am happy enough with our Hostplus accounts all in equities. I am waiting to see what Vanguard do with super before I make any fundamental changes.

Isla_Nublar likes this.
  3. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Probably go the Industry Fund route and stick with it. It depends what you grow into I think and if it works you're not likely to change the approach unless there is a radical change in attitude.

KayTea, Anne11 and number 5 like this.
  4. Zenith Chaos

Zenith Chaos Well-Known Member

There are industry super funds that allow for a cheap ETF equivalent portfolio. The only reasons to choose SMSF would be either:
    1. After a certain dollar invested amount a low cost SMSF with fixed fees becomes cheaper
    2. Investor believes investing outside index etfs can achieve better returns. This could be active ETFs, LICs, individual shares, gold bars, investment properties, paintings etc.

5. ChrisP73

ChrisP73 Well-Known Member

3. Invester believes the net impact of tax treatment at the entity level for pooled super funds will negatively impact total performance vs ability to better control tax outcomes in an SMSF, and don't want to get locked into a single fund's direct investments option due to lack of portability of underlying investments.

And could be a combination of all 3. Also 2 doesn't have to be just better performance but could be more suitable asset mix for optimising performance vs volitility to suit the fund members objectives eg ability to rebalance equities and gold.

Last edited: 28th Jun, 2020
    Isla_Nublar, KayTea and Zenith Chaos like this.
  6. FredBear

FredBear Well-Known Member

Avoid having an SMSF if you will ever be a non-resident. Generally there are no issues being in an industry fund while non-resident. Lots to consider if you have an SMSF and become non-resident.

7. SatayKing

SMSF: get cash the minute I want to withdraw it.

Vicki S, Redwing and Isla_Nublar like this.
  8. exp

exp Well-Known Member

Would you mind expanding on the non-resident part?

9. FredBear

FredBear Well-Known Member

exp likes this.
  10. Zenith Chaos

Zenith Chaos Well-Known Member

Totally agree with you @ChrisP73. There are tax anomalies. Did we ever resolve the difference in Sunsuper returns?

By better performance I mean in a statistical and total risk point of view. Gold for example will generally underperform as an investment but in a hyperinflation scenario it could be a lifesaver. That is, gold is only a risk informed hedge against a black swan (small talk) type scenario.

All my hedges are outside super given super's accessibility is on a much longer timeframe than money in my own name.

If I reach 1M in super I may consider SMSF. Until then I am sticking with el cheapo industry funds unless I find out there is a dodgy tax implication I am not privy to.

11. SatayKing

Definition of successful investor:

One who waits until it's the "right" time to buy, does so at the age of 75 but sadly dies the next year. The charts were spot on though.

Back to coffee and ennui of an investing nature.

12. SatayKing

Are we there yet? Wherever there is.

I'm too busy to know.

[​IMG]

13. monk

monk Well-Known Member

Ummm, yeah sure, why not? :confused:

14. SatayKing

Fabulous.

As everything is in safe hands it means I will now switch to Rip Van Winkle mode and get on with things which are important.

monk likes this.
  15. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Bored ****less with the markets but busy as outside when cooler weather makes doing so a pleasure. Other than that indoor activity in part involves improving our Asian cooking skill using much of our home grown organic produce. Helping the wife prepare countless dumplings today to freeze for future consumption.

Simplification has made investing dis-interesting but given past bad habits I see that as a good thing!

Last edited by a moderator: 3rd Jul, 2020
    KayTea, monk and APINDEX like this.
  16. RogTheBear

RogTheBear Well-Known Member

PRS seem to have lost he capacity for shame.

17. SatayKing

It's just you, your guitar, a cable, your amp and a volume knob.

The Bear Grylis of the electric guitar.

18. SatayKing

So true.

Should Qld open up on 10 July, a plan which is in place, will be implemented to relieve the boredom. Have to get the timing right, ensure a jar of Maccona is packed and install the James Bond revolving number plates on the car. That or some torx bits for the screwdriver just in case the phillips won't work.

Nodrog likes this.
  19. Isla_Nublar

Isla_Nublar Well-Known Member

I'm too fat too worry about James Bonding it, but a holiday on a QLD island somewhere right about now sounds amazing!

SatayKing likes this.
  20. SatayKing

Hmm, some who live in the area, and some who don't, consider Mossman is an island within Qld.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.