LIC & LIT Listed Investment Companies (LICs) 2019

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by Nodrog, 1st Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ariyahn2011

Ariyahn2011 Well-Known Member

Thank you Zenith Chaos. I like how you explained that.

Yes, I have definitely learnt not to speculate on prices movements. In a way, I even consider holding gold to be speculating on it going up. I've actually book marked the discussion between SMA and Thornhill where he talks about deriving an income. I personally got a lot out of that interview.

My friends often tempt me into Crypto "DUDE, did you hear about **** Coin?" ... I literally have no interest anymore!

Thanks for the comment!

Cheers

Zenith Chaos, ChrisP73 and Snowball like this.
  2. ChrisP73

ChrisP73 Well-Known Member

As a ten year old I walked to and from school - about 1km each way. There was a corner store on the, well corner, at the end of the street and about once a week I would stop in with my 20c piece ready to select my 1c and 2c lollies from under the counter to be placed into a white paper bag. Of course with so many choices, at first I wanted to try everything and would carefully select out 15 or so individual lollies (I'm sure this infuriated the shop assistant/owner, although come to think of it there was never anyone else in the shop so they were probably just happy to have a customer). Overtime I figured out which ones I preferred and then would load up on just a tight selection of choices. Feels like this is the journey many LIC investors take.

..... And then there's ETF crew that stomp on into the shop and go straight for the 2kg black and gold brand suger, thump it on the counter and hand over 80c...... They might be efficient, optimal, and right, but no imagination and ohhhhh so crewd :p (checks which thread this is and then ducks for cover)

sharon, Zenith Chaos, Pleep and 11 others like this.
  3. ChrisP73

mdk, Snowball, Globetrekker and 2 others like this.
  4. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

The truth hurts sometimes. I'm facing exactly this dilemma. Will be keen to read his next post re the transition.

Snowball and ChrisP73 like this.
  5. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Further to this I had a glance at the 2018 annual reports of a couple of LICs. From the position of cross holdings in other LICs, the cleanest, for want of a better word, seem to be DUI and WHF.

mdk, Observer and Anne11 like this.
  6. SatayKing

The Good Ship ETF crewed by a crude crew? Or this mob?

ChrisP73 and Nodrog like this.
  7. ChrisP73

Haha, doh.

8. ChrisP73

Last time I checked I thought AUI was pretty clean san cross investment in DUI, might have changed.

Interesting re WHF, the relatively high MER puts me off somewhat tbh, still hold it though.

It does get to a point when you find yourself spending so much time figuring out which LICs NOT to invest in that you might as well save yourself the trouble and go straight to index funds. Personally I'm not there yet but the ETF / index force is strong!

Last edited: 21st Jul, 2019
    Globetrekker, mdk, Observer and 2 others like this.
  9. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

AB00862A-0E00-40CD-8676-1CA681C08886.jpeg

@ChrisP73

Read Gluskies investment style gibberish and you’ll bin WHF quick smart. Another one down!

Froxy, ChrisP73 and Burgs like this.
  10. Globetrekker

Globetrekker Well-Known Member

I'm also feeling the lure of ETFs after being almost exclusively in LICs so far. Lots of great analysis on this forum and a desire for simplification has got me thinking about my future investing approach. Not sure why its taken me so long to properly consider ETFs as an alternative, maybe because I've been very happy with LICs to date, I've just never found a compelling reason to change strategies so far.

I love buying the big traditional LICs when they're at a discount to NTA but when they move to premium I've tended to look for better value in other LICs. This takes a fair amount of effort though, looking at each of their holdings, performance, historical premiums/discounts, management fees etc to try to find value. I'm thinking a far simpler set-and-forget strategy is to continue buying the big LICs when they're at a discount, but then switch to buying ETFs like VAS when the big LICs move to premium. Take advantage of the LIC discounts when they're there but not get slugged with paying a premium when they're not. Basically buy the index with NTA as a maximum price but with the ability to buy it at a discount at certain times in the cycle as well. Best of both worlds right there?

11. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

The funny thing is @SatayKing was likely one of the earliest investors in index ETFs in Australia having invested in STW when it first listed in 2001 from memory. I followed suit not long after. God forbid I even invested in SLF (Areit Index) despite SK’s negative wise view on listed property at the time. I even recall the occasional Bogle quote from @SatayKing. But such was the attraction of consistent income and regular SPPs as a reminder to keep adding more LICs generally seemed a more attractive option than STW.

Of course over time since then more and more evidence has come to light in support of indexing, fees have reduced etc.

But it does go to show at least early on SK and I were investing radicals back then:D.

12. SatayKing

LOL. Not only do LICs have overlap on themes but appears to be rife with forums.

BKI Announces payment of another Special Dividend

When you find that reason it'll happen I think. While I've held one EFT for a long time, it's only in recent times I have added another.

It is always possible my approach will change. If it does, it does but only when I am ready to adopt it. Will take effort probably but as I am conservative about such a change I will bounce concepts of the FP I occasionally see. Doing such things solo now I tend to find a daunting prospect so I find having an impartial view (and this FP isn't wedded or aligned with any particular product) useful for me.

Globetrekker, ChrisP73 and mdk like this.
  13. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

One shouldn’t rush these things.

68408523-EB78-408C-9C9E-BA86E430D8D2.gif

ChrisP73 and kierank like this.
  14. Ariyahn2011

Ariyahn2011 Well-Known Member

I have personally used this resource NTA Tracker which was created by another blogger to determine discounts.

Disclaimer: Not sure of its 100% accuracy, so beware.

Redwing and ChrisP73 like this.
  15. SatayKing

I may require a more sedate mode of transport than that number after my first walk in quite a while. Boy, am I feeling it and not only in my bones.

Nodrog likes this.
  16. SatayKing

Yeah. Only did it to see if there were maybe clean skins around.

ChrisP73 likes this.
  17. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I could find the returns for just the last 3 years for VGS (inception was November 2014 and I have the InvestSmart 5, 3, 2 and 1 figures.

VGS has had more growth over the 3 years. 10.52% growth, 3.22% income - 13.72% total.

VAS has had 8.14% growth, 4.55% income - 12.69% total. Thee years may be noise, but it's the best I could do quickly.

But I'm not sure that apples and oranges are being compared. While I don't have an argument with the concept of retaining earnings to reinvest, I suspect that there would be other things coming to play in this particular comparison. Different countries have different economics; exchange rates may have affected one and not the other; directors' compensation may be different; different countries may have different company tax rates; investor sentiment may be different in different countries, driving the prices differently. For periods of 1, 2 and 3 years, VGS has outperformed. For shorter periods, VAS wins.

I still hold both, and I'm not about to sell either in a hurry. I'm just saying that there is more than one thing which would cause a difference.

18. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

It was always a decision between the cheap Rainbow Balls, or the more decadent Cobbers. And I could never pass up a Strawberry and Cream or a Jersey Caramel.......

ChrisP73 likes this.
  19. ChrisP73

Redwing likes this.
  20. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Thanks @ChrisP73. But I couldn't relate the returns from that document against those shown for VGS on investsmart, and so comparisons aren't perhaps meaningful.

However, looking at that document, I've realised that I haven't diversified as much as I thought I had. I also have IVV which is based on the S&P 500 - and VGS has 64% US shares. I hadn't realised that I was quite that much exposed to the US.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.