LIC & LIT Listed Investment Companies (LICs) 2019

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by Nodrog, 1st Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Mate what’s your current view on China? Still somewhat negative similar to the views of Swenson / Bernstein? To be honest I’m feeling increasingly negative as time goes on given the path they’re taking. Maybe I’m being too suspicious / pessimistic?

But it does have me agreeing with you that holding EM as opposed to Asia only might be preferable. Although cap weighting would likely see China increasingly dominate the EM index over time. That is provided they don’t get booted out of it depending on the path they take.

2. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

Negative personally. However things change, and that can happen quickly.

Part of accepting indexing is putting aside hunches, stories and opinions regarding the unknowable future and saying “I don’t know” and relying on the market to set the price.
    Events of the last year have further cemented that idea for me.

3. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Beautifully stated oh wise one:).

Ross Forrester, apk and kierank like this.
  4. dunno

dunno Well-Known Member

VGE and VAE have similar emerging Asia exposure @ around 55%.

The difference is with VAE you get 45% developed Asia whilst VGE has only 15%. The remainder of VGE is rest of the world emerging.

I like VAE in combination with VGS. The developed Asia you pick up (Samsung – Sth Korea etc) is absent from VGS.

I don’t mind missing out on the non-Asian emerging by not holding VGE.

All just personal preferences. VGS gets most of the diversification benefits under the belt, the rest is fiddling around the edges.

VGE already has more China exposure than VAE.

5. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

@dunno, thanks for the insight. I admit to being out of touch with EM / Asia given I don’t hold or follow them much. Should have checked the facts rather than trusting my memory. EM / Asia is a bit too much excitement for this boring old retiree.

I assume you still have VVLU in your international portfolio? Are you finding the rebalancing opportunities you hoped for? I’m still surprised how low this Fund’s FUM is here and in the US. All indications are it’s a well designed index.

6. dunno

dunno Well-Known Member

Yes still have VVLU.

It continues to underperform. (reletive strength {price} vs VGS below)

upload_2019-1-8_13-31-40.png

Accumulating more of it than VGS accordingly.

The first criteria of being a suitable rebalancing candidate is being met. Periods of underperformance – Only time will tell if it has future periods of out-performance and becomes a good rebalancing asset or it just stays an inferior investment.

As far as size of Fund goes - it might pick up some more interest once growth has run its course and historical return followers finally have something to like about value once again. Or maybe it will become a failed product befor that happens - that is a real risk.

Last edited: 8th Jan, 2019
    Nodrog and Froxy like this.
  7. oracle

oracle Well-Known Member

VGE - Top 10 holdings

China - 34.7%
    Taiwan - 14.1%
    India - 11.7%
    Brazil - 8.5%
    South Africa - 6.8%

Thailand - 4.0%
    Russia - 3.8%
    Malaysia - 3.2%
    Mexico - 3.0%
    Indonesia - 2.4%
    ----------------------
    Total - 92.2%

VAE - Top 10 Holdings

China - 33.3%
    Korea - 15.4%
    Taiwan - 12.8%
    Hong Kong - 12.1%
    India - 11.7%
    Singapore - 4.0%
    Thailand - 3.7%
    Malaysia - 3.2%
    Indonesia - 2.4%
    Philippines - 1.3%
    -----------------------------
    Total - 99.9%

Like you I like VAE composition more than VGE.

Cheers,
    Oracle.

Anne11, sharon, dunno and 2 others like this.
  8. Pleep

Pleep Well-Known Member

Obviously past performance no indicator etc. but the HK version of VAE gives you a slightly longer performance history than the ASX listed one. This is a chart from a few months ago, goes back to 2014 I believe.
    Don’t have a distribution history unfortunately.
    7A1F51DB-FBF7-46FA-A7BA-83E5256332FC.png

Julian likes this.
  9. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

What on earth are you doing sullying this thread with ETF chat? Be off with you.

SK scurries away quietly knowing, probably much to the angst of the forums owner, conversations oft go astray - and there's not a thing which can really be done about it.

Now back to LIC's - the proper investors product choice - the darn things seem to be going up lately dang it. Easier decisions when they go the other way.

10. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Oops, yes I just realised this is a LIC thread. It’s all @Julian ’s fault, go stand in the corner for an hour you naughty boy. Shame, shame, shame.

29A8F60F-4FDF-48DE-8273-614911DE575D.jpeg

Julian likes this.
  11. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

@SatayKing rather than trying to decide what LICs to buy I thought you’d be busy trying to decide on which pair of these to buy:cool::

455D23B2-33D0-4B83-B9CD-794BD1E68C11.jpeg

Anne11 and SatayKing like this.
  12. SatayKing

:p

Plus I'm set with the number holdings I now have so the question isn't which LIC to buy but when. My attitude is now one which wants increasing income (the why I don't know really as I have plenty) as opposed to CG - although that is good too I suppose - I don't feel I have the FOMO when prices increase. More one of Damn it's getting expensive to buy at the yield on offer.

Still, I do admit I ain't an automaton so it's difficult at times.

Snowball and sharon like this.
  13. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Speaking of income the way DJW is headed I was starting to think around $3 might be a possibility yet again as has happened throughout it’s history. SK would that entice you back into it?
    Trouble is given the income is strongly reliant on options trading one can never be too confident about the dividend.

Updated price chart with a sinister looking downtrend still in place? Crystal balls out please. Turning point at around $3 or before? Or perhaps worse? Then again you never know, the board might announce a surprise increase in dividends??

7BEF13B9-DFD3-40F6-AB2D-F9B44DFA3030.jpeg

SatayKing likes this.
  14. SatayKing

I haven't looked at DJW since it went from the portfolio. There are the negatives to which you have referred @Nodrog and I think it should also be in the back of a potential investor's mind the higher the yield is generally associated with higher risk. In my view I wouldn't be waiting for capital growth if I were to invest.

However, certainly tempting from an income perspective but, but, but it would require me to stray from my unwritten decision on the number of holdings. With that in mind it's a No for me.

15. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

And with a higher than average franking component plus a possible Labor Gov’t threat to same it’s a NO from me also. Although the main reason is it’s not part of our written plan. And there is steadfast determination to stick with the plan to avoid mistakes of the past.

Like you with more income than required I don’t see the need to chase the more volatile income streams. And although income is more important to us than capital I’m not enthused at putting capital at risk unecessarily given the history of DJW. That said the risk of that happening at these levels is much lower now historically. But a growing dividend stream is typically accompanied by capital growth over time NOT with the price chart back where it was a couple of decades ago! Stating the obvious so nothing new to most here of course.

Waiting for Brouhaha Craft Brewery courtesy bus to pick us up at midday for lunch and beer. Make that plural tense:

Brouhaha Brewery - Sunshine Coast Hinterland Independent Craft Brewery

Incredible venue, food and beer. So fortunate to have this less than 5 mins drive from our home. Although the courtesy bus is much preferred:).

Last edited: 9th Jan, 2019
    Anne11 likes this.
  16. oddshapes

oddshapes Well-Known Member

I'm proud to announce that after an excruciating two month process of getting a trust and bank account set-up, I've started my path to financial Independence with the purchase of Whitefield this morning.

[​IMG]

sharon, Snowball, Anne11 and 10 others like this.
  17. oddshapes

OK I'll admit, I did take a look to see where WHF finished today. :p I never plan on selling (as per my investment plan) but couldn't help myself. Hmm up 1 cent, maybe I should cash in...... :confused:

SatayKing and DoggaPP like this.
  18. SatayKing

Normal. I've found it is very difficult not to look but I'm getting better at the task. However, I did look today and am most disgruntled. They are going in the wrong direction presently. Where are you Oh God Of Bears?

19. Speede

Speede Well-Known Member

So many dislike....WAM...reason?

20. oddshapes

Haha, glad its normal, it really is different when you have your hard earned 'on the line' as opposed to a beautifully formatted investment plan document.

As a seasoned investor with 1.5 weeks experience, I too am disgruntled. I have a lot more buying to do. Where is all this Brexit and US/China trade wars effect on our market?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.