LIC & LIT Listed Investment Companies (LICs) 2019

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by Nodrog, 1st Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Fair enough @IrishDigger. You should take action according to your parameters and policy.

I hold no excess cash now as there are elements of market timing associated in doing so it which I have avoided in the past but actually did by holding cash waiting, waiting, waiting.

I don't recall ever reading The Motley Fool so I am not able to make a judgement one way or the other. Then I don't really read much of the financial press anyway. Way too many all shouting at once they are the one - which they are not.

Burgs, pippen and mdk like this.
  2. PKFFW

PKFFW Well-Known Member

I generally agree the future will be better than most people think. And better in ways most people haven't even thought about.

However, that article seems reminiscent of the same sorts of predictions made in the 50's and 60's of flying cars, the end of poverty, automation of everything so we all live a life of leisure, etc, etc.

Redwing, ChrisP73 and Froxy like this.
  3. Dsign

Dsign Well-Known Member

@SatayKing

I was thinking more in the idea of seeing the income pa (approx) updated daily rather then then value or portfolio

would be good to have an automated version based on trailing / current yield to see the income grow every purchase then just portfolio value

DoggaPP likes this.
  4. Dsign

Dsign Well-Known Member

I found 20 cents In the parking ticket machine yesterday and told it I’m going to put it to work for the rest of my life

unbelievably satisfying

5. SatayKing

Hadn't thought of it in that manner. Shows each have a different way of approaching the same objective.

You're on your way to building your fortune. :D

number 5 likes this.
  6. Dsign

Dsign Well-Known Member

I know @Snowball has some great charts on his LIC write ups showing dividend income growth etc etc, i like pretty little pictures, especially on the them on getting a growing income and increased dividends which is like pay rises for your LICs

Im not sure why this is the first time i felt this satisfaction. But definately an "aha" moment for me. Before i met my wife(super tight ass) 2 years ago i was unbelieveably wasteful with money especially from riding the residential construction boom which i have a small business in and made some very good cash (while it lasted).

Now im 30 and realised if i was more sensible i would be in a much better position then i am now(which isnt bad and im trying not to complain!)

Redwing likes this.
  7. SatayKing

Have a gander at sharedividends com au @Dsign. It does have "pretty" pictures or did last time I looked which was quite a while ago.

Redwing likes this.
  8. Zmfb039

Zmfb039 Member

Hi guys I've been looking through a few of the major LICs, many appear to have moved pretty well over the last 5 years but BKI seems to have been (comparatively) flat since 2014. I'm comparing to AFI, MLT, WHF etc etc. Is a specific reason for this trend?

9. ChrisP73

ChrisP73 Well-Known Member

Love it! A lifetime of slavery for the poor little twenty cent piece. You monster :p.

Isla_Nublar and Dsign like this.
  10. Dsign

Dsign Well-Known Member

I’m not sure of the performance right now, but are you looking at performance with dividends reinvested or just price chart?

11. Dsign

Dsign Well-Known Member

I’ve read thornhill and he says this already, not sure why I only have bonded to this idea just now lol

DoggaPP and ChrisP73 like this.
  12. Zmfb039

Zmfb039 Member

Hi Dsign, I was just looking at price, though most of the dividend yields appear to be close at about 4%. Was just wondering if there was any underlying reason really.

13. Dsign

Dsign Well-Known Member

You need to look at LICs(and ETF) as accumulated, meaning with dividends. The price doesn't include the dividends(and more importantly re-invested)

I dont know much about BKI so i cannot tell you why regarding the price, but you will find 99% of the people in this thread are looking for income (dividiends).

This is a link which is very useful which @Nodrog posts reguarly worth checking out who i got it off

LIC reports and updates

Screenshot below from link above, BKIappears to be lagging its peers upload_2019-12-31_21-24-46.png

i would suggest searching BKI in PC and see what you find from other posters

Zmfb039 likes this.
  14. SatayKing

I still consider this may be why @Zmfb039

15. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I'm one of the 1% concerned about price as well as dividends.

Unlike some in here, dividends alone will not provide enough income, based on my capital, to provide a comfortable - or even adequate - retirement.

Like real estate, income and growth are two important parts of the equation. For me, I can't ignore either part.

Redwing likes this.
  16. Dsign

Dsign Well-Known Member

agree, maybe 99% too generous? lol

17. Snowball

Snowball Well-Known Member

I have a spreadsheet that I manually adjust after each purchase or change in dividend per-share, it is essentially a running tally of portfolio income. Very basic.

I’m trying to make it less ugly (along with other charts I use) and will share it on the blog if ppl want it. I’m useless at this stuff tho so it’s nothing fancy lol

Froxy likes this.
  18. Dsign

Dsign Well-Known Member

if you wouldnt mind sharing would be fantastic, i tried but im hopeless and searched online but to no avail.

19. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Note from mods: 2020 thread continued here

Redwing likes this.

PFI can assist you with your investment strategies for your SMSF, Life Cover for your members and assistance with compliance. We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.