LIC & LIT Listed Investment Companies (LICs) 2019

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by Nodrog, 1st Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mistercoffee

mistercoffee Well-Known Member

No need for crystal balls. I like the advice from Will Rogers::)

Don’t gamble! Take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don’t go up, don’t buy it.

DoggaPP and jimmy like this.
  2. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Any decimal figure not ending in 0 or 5 is known to bring bad luck.

DoggaPP and Froxy like this.
  3. blob2004

blob2004 Well-Known Member

A big hole in that chart he presented is that it seems to be a price index chart, which means it does not include dividends - very misleading and only tells half the story.

Now people should be under no illusion that there will be periods of negative real returns of an index fund, and plan for it accordingly (hence the thread of SORR).

The TINA (There Is No Alternative) principle also applies here. If one could choose an investment with the returns of a stock but without the risk then everyone would. But there isn't such a thing. Therefore even heading into a lower return environment which I agree with, I still believe in buy and hold AND continue buying.

I agree with the rest of what he says apart from this one "buy low / sell high". Everyone knows about it but no one can do it consistently, and on average you will fare much worse. Of course there will be many people that claim they can do it and charge you to try though...

4. b0b555

b0b555 Well-Known Member

5. Snowball

Snowball Well-Known Member

Ive long followed PW and been a fan.

He seems to have been changing his stripes very recently in following/mentioning what would be called a ‘Dogs of the World’ strategy. That is investing in the most out of favour market ETFs from the last few years and waiting for reversion to the mean to kick in.

He’s mentioned doing this with Greece Turkey and Pakistan in recent times I believe.

While I don’t discount that it’s possible to pull this off, I just don’t buy that it’s easy and when considering the buying/selling, CGT and activity/monitoring/research involved, not to mention conviction needed to hold these ETFs, I’m not sure it’s a good idea for most people.

When I interviewed him on the blog he was all about ‘accumulating’ - buying property, LICs and index funds. Lately he’s been mentioning he has a huge cash position waiting for developed markets to fall and has been following this approach along with direct out of favour stocks like a Russian gas producer of all things.

He seems to have really ventured into a style of global value investing with his new business partner.

So it’s all a bit unusual (seemingly out of character) and even intriguing, but I won’t be changing investment style. Anyway he’s a smart cookie so I’m sure he knows what he’s doing. In the meantime I continue to enjoy his regular updates on the economy :)

Last edited: 19th Nov, 2019
  6. Froxy

Froxy Well-Known Member

Snowball i first heard of him from your interview and an interview he did on rask finance. I liked his common sense approach.

Went back to his blog for the first time in months and its like his a different person recruited into a cult. WTF!?!?

mdk, DoggaPP and The Falcon like this.
  7. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Picture of recent ARG AGM. Going by the top of their heads it doesn’t look like there were many attendees under 70:):

58D71E6A-DF2C-45C0-93CF-0B35FB4BE846.jpeg

8. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

LICs in the spotlight over returns

Burgs, Zenith Chaos, sharon and 4 others like this.
  9. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

Yeah it happens. As long as we are smart enough to understand the motives it all makes sense. He is flogging “next level” coaching, to take your wealth “to the next level” !!! There is also another book coming in 2020, stay tuned !

This is the secret sauce that you are paying for. Contrarian ETF investing yeeehaaaaaa and some EM direct stocks to keep it spicy.

Last edited: 20th Nov, 2019
    Zenith Chaos, number 5, mdk and 4 others like this.
  10. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

About bloody time!

ChrisP73, Redwing and Froxy like this.
  11. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

12. SatayKing

Only noting a fact.

Pleep likes this.
  13. SatayKing

WAM incurred expenses of $22 million for staff, rent, administration and depreciation.

AFI 2019

Rental costs: $695k
    Employee Benefit Expenses: $8,039m
    Depreciation: $0
    Other Admin: $5,575m

ARG 2019

Employment benefits: $5,297m
    Depreciation: $168k
    Other: $3,069m

Couldn't be bothered to go into that detail for others but broadly the Admin expenses of some other LICs are

MLT: $4,220m
    AUI: $1,273m
    DUI: $1,256m

Zenith Chaos, sharon, Redwing and 2 others like this.
  14. monk

monk Well-Known Member

I am so under 70 :eek:, just had a hard life that's all :(:p

Zenith Chaos and Nodrog like this.
  15. SatayKing

Not hard enough it would seem.

16. monk

monk Well-Known Member

Now,now be nice :rolleyes:

17. SatayKing

Never heard of him until now. Then I don't follow commentators or 'spurts. Maybe I need to get a life, read all these dudes have to say and then become totally confused which would be appropriate given my age bracket.

18. SatayKing

Nup. I'm a geriatric remember and we aren't known to be nice. :D

monk likes this.
  19. DoggaPP

DoggaPP Well-Known Member

I think what we were previously hearing is where he parks his money after it is accumulated (LIC's/ETFs and Property). What we are now explicitly hearing for the first time is the active side of his business/approach (and lets be quite clear, he is running several businesses that generate income). Wealth is created actively as well as passively - and whilst we all here subscribe to the get-rich-slowly mantra, I doubt the entrepreneurial side of PW would buy that as his only accumulation strategy.

With several years of blandness ahead of us (presumably) Pete is now sharing some other of his activities to entice new customers to his business. Nothing wrong with that per se. there is more to PW than great market analysis and lovely books. He's a business man first and foremost.

Burgs, sharon and Ariyahn2011 like this.
  20. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

065DFA3D-3947-45AF-954C-CD791EBD5DA8.png

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.