Entertainment & Music LION - The Movie

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Property Twins, 29th Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

All,

Don't usually post in this section (don't really watch many movies either!). Watched 'LION' the other evening. Bitter sweet ending. Couldn't help but make one all teary. Loved the acting from the little 'Saroo'...

Read the book I think around 5 years ago and couldn't put it down till I finished. Amazing story. Makes you wonder how many kids in particular in South Asia get lost every year and can never find a way home.

Was it destiny ? Saroo got a life he would have never considered. Really sad to see how his brother 'Guddu' has died eons ago and Saroo lived 25 years hoping to unite with his family once again...

Cheers,
    S

turk, The Y-man and MTR like this.
  2. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Loved the movie, mentioned on here a number of times.

Did not read the book, perhaps I should

Saroo got $12M for his story, he can help many people in India with this money

MTR:)

Property Twins likes this.
  3. Property Twins

The book had more detail I thought...movie was fairly close to the book however...

Would have liked to see more of how he connects with his family finally. They don't show his brother "Kallu" at the end

4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I did a little snooping and I don't think they did connect too well, different culture, language barrier, time, expectations, are possibly some reasons why

5. twobobsworth

twobobsworth Well-Known Member

I want to see this one but my wife is more into aliens, explosions and car chases.

There was a doco a number of years ago Daughter from Denang. Child sent to the USA at the end of the Vietnam War returns looking for her family. She couldn't cope with the life style, culture, poverty or the expectations the family had to get them out of poverty.

6. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Lol its normally the other way round.

7. twobobsworth

twobobsworth Well-Known Member

I know, we saw Passengers and I loved it , she hated there was no action.

Redwing likes this.
  8. Property Twins

That was the news - due to cultural challenges. Though what a relief on both ends. Especially for the mum. Who would have thought one could do that....when he did come to Australia.

MTR likes this.
  9. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Have not seen the movie.
    Loved the book and the story (with the real people) shown on tv - 60 Minutes??
    Marg

10. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Lol..I agree.

11. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Cannot see this movie... too emotionally draining for me.

12. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

The book was good- and of course, many things were in much more detail than the film.

Something I don't think was mentioned in the film. His mother had had the chance to move to a nicer life in another city with her married son. She chose to stay there just in case Saroo came home- and wouldn't be able to find her if she had moved to another city.

But the film covers more of the problems and struggles of his brother. Although it wasn't covered in a lot of detail in the film, his problems were only just hinted at in the book.

And a reminder. Only $4.99 at Amazon and Kobo

luckyone and Property Twins like this.
  13. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I only watched a brief bit of that documentary on YouTube just now but I think that may be the one they made us sit down and watch when we went to our first adoption seminar at DoCS (seminar was mandatory attendance before they even let you apply to adopt).

There was a lot of discussion afterwards about all aspects of the story - they made us really think hard about it from everyone's perspective - not just the adoptive parent, but from the perspective of the adoptee and especially from the perspective of the birth mother and birth family. When you start to try and empathise with the circumstances and decisions they have to make, it really gives you a completely different understanding of what it means to give up a child and about what our responsibilities are as adoptive parents - but especially about understanding the expectations that can come along with having a relationship with the birth family.

My wife went and saw LION on the weekend - took a big box of tissues with her. She said she really enjoyed the movie and is reading the book now too.

The only movies I'll watch where there are likely to be tears are Terminator 2 when the Terminator asks to be lowered into the molten metal or The Lord of the Rings when Frodo and Gandalf say goodbye to Sam, Merry and Pippin. Oh, and Serenity when Wash dies and Top Gun when Goose dies.

14. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

The book was fantastic- I thought it was so cute that he learnt he had been pronouncing his name incorrectly his whole life.
    Overall a sad story for all involved though

15. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

A wonderful movie and what a story- I had the tissues on tap too :)

Never giveup likes this.
  16. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Movie was fantastic . Really emotional story , more so for the fact that you know it's true .

Thought tassie looked nice esp the scene up the top of Mount Wellington and the shack on the beach . Might have to buy some property there .....

Cliff

MTR likes this.
  17. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

The movie will be coming to Netflix April 1.