Line of credit - What would I qualify for?

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by SimonJackson, 2nd Oct, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. SimonJackson

SimonJackson Member

Hi

I'm looking to get a line of credit so I can live off my equity. Currently have 4 properties worth 4 mil with a mortgage balance of 300,000.

Me and my wife are currently earning $120k and $100k before tax per year. I'm 51 and mrs is 48
    Would like to know what sort of max limit most lenders would allow me to borrow against a line of credit.

We are aiming to get line of credit of upto 1.5 mil and then slow draw down on it over 10-15 years by which time our super money would be freed up.

Cheers Simon

2. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Sorry to say, but living off equity not a strategy that residential lenders will be willing to fund.

sumterrence likes this.
  3. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Aaah, this is something I was looking to do before the doors slammed shut.

Why don't you cashout as much as you can get and plonk 1/2 in the stock market for dividends and 1/2 in your offset to pay for any shortfall?

You can't say you want the money for LOE, but am guessing you can say it's for investment purposes or renovations to your IPs to increase rent.

Last edited: 2nd Oct, 2020
    punti likes this.
  4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

It could be possible to do, and at around $1.5mil roughly. But you would have to carefully structure things.

5. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

and manage concentration risk

ta
    rolf

6. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Why a Line of Credit?

Hetty and The Y-man like this.
  7. SimonJackson

SimonJackson Member

What’s an alternative strategy you can suggest?

8. SimonJackson

SimonJackson Member

That’s what i read about some years ago and is all that i know about. Are u able to suggest something else?

9. SimonJackson

SimonJackson Member

Sorry by cash out you mean sell one or more assets or take money out all my redraw? Latter is not an option since i had paid off some loans and closed the accounts

10. Rolf Latham

Cash out for future personal investment purposes.

The suggestion of seeking some financial advice and perhaps deploy some of the release into a combo of growth and retun equity assets is likley going to provide a better outcome and a longer halflife of the equity released.

Suggest NOT to use a LOC for hard/resilient debt - tempting due to the evergreen IO nature of many of these.............but there is a sting in the tail with most of them - repayable on demand :(

IO loan with 100 % offset can achieve similar at lower rate and risk, but if rolling to PI at 5 or 10 years, one need to manage that process

In a lot of ways, what you describe is part of a well managed and risk mitigated "transtition to retirement strategy"

ta
    rolf

BunnyXiao likes this.
  11. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Is there a precedent for this? If so, how common is it?

12. Rolf Latham

I have had clients with limit reductions forced on them during the GFC

Its never a problem......until its a problem..

When a lender ends in a funding squeeze, that type of facility will be the first to be cut back or even pulled in.

LOCs are expensive to fund since the capital needs to be provided for at limit

ta
    rolf

13. jaybean

What sort of reductions are we talking about? 10%? 50%? 90%? Just how bad does it usually get?

14. Rolf Latham

To current used limits ..............

Its the same issue faced by peops with a term loan and redraw.............look at the recent ME fun

ADI offset is your money, redraw and LOC limits are the lenders money

ta
    rolf

15. Terry_w

LOC will be harder to qualify for too

16. jaybean

Gotcha thanks.

17. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Paying down debt and living of the rental income.

Selling a property periodically to give you funds for lifestyle purposes.

Cashing out your properties over time to realise the capital gains, then reinvesting into assets with better ongoing cash flow.

You can get an equity loan for 'future investment' as suggested. Years ago Living Off Equity was a strategy option, but it never really seemed to work on its own. Everyone I know who simply got a huge LOC and tried to live off it found the funds didn't last very long and they were back in the workforce when they should have been retiring.

The few cases where LOE has been successfully applied are those where it supplemented another strategy, it wasn't the main strategy in itself.

BunnyXiao likes this.
  18. Terry_w

If you want to borrow and live off the loan you can simply borrow to buy an asset and last sell that without paying the loan off. The loan could then be recycled

19. Baker

Baker Well-Known Member

Do you have children? Would you like to adopt me?

20. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    220K gross income. 300K debt. 4 Million resi portfolio.

You didn't mention whether its 3 investment properties + 1 Owner Occ, or 4 investments ?
    You didn't mention what rental income the current portfolio generates at the moment and whether it forms part of the 220K gross income earned by you and your wife or whether that income is salary and the rental is additional to that?
    You didn't mention whether the 300K mortgage was O/Occ debt or investment debt?

I will assume the rental is additional income to the salaries you both earn...
    I will assume the debt is investment debt, as O/Occ debt would ordinarily be the first to be repaid not the last to be repaid.
    If so, and assuming you have @ 2 Million borrowing capacity , you could consider

1. drawing down 420K against one or more of the existing properties in your portfolio . This would be broken into 3 x 140K tranches. Each 140K tranche would represent 20% + stamp duty + legals for the purchase of a dual occ to the value of 660K in NSW

2. Borrow 528K ( 80% LVR) construction loan for each of the 3 x dual occ in NSW. That equates to $1,584,000

This would give you new debt of $2,004,000.00, in addition to the 300K you already hold. @ 2.3 Million total debt . @ 6 Million portfolio value.

Each of the Dual Occ's produces over 41K of rental income per year, which results in a surplus of @ 16.5K CF+ if you run them IO. But if you run them P&I they produce @ 3-4K CF+
    If the 300K you currently owe is non income producing non deductible O/occ debt, set the Dual Occ's to P&I initially and use the almost 50K of surplus CF they produce per annum to pay that 300K debt off as quickly as possible. When that 300K is paid off, switch the Dual Occ's to P&I and use all the rental incomes from the 3 Dual Occ's PLUS all the rental incomes from your existing portfolio PLUS the monthly repayment you were previously contributing towards the 300K debt, and start paying off the Dual Occ's . You should be able to pay all the debt off in @ 15 years, right in time for retirement . If during that 15 year period the rents on the Dual Occ's grow by just 50% you will have over 60K of income being produced by each of them. That's over 180K combined, plus whatever your other properties are also generating by then. Allowing for running costs and tax, you should comfortably be netting well over 100K per annum plus whatever your superannuation is producing for you... and because the land tax thresholds in NSW allow for you to easily hold 3 of my dual occ's and stay well under the thresholds, all the money stays with you ....