Likes given

Discussion in 'PropertyChat Community & Website' started by skyfall, 15th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

I know where you are coming from and if you want to give a private Kudos message just email them. I know its an extra step but always nice to receive a compliment.

MTR likes this.
  2. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

People can accumulate likes and trophies, in SS people were accumulating little green sqaures
    Ba humbug

No idea how these things happen I just post what I want, people like it or hate it, it is what it is.

I was once active in a network marketing company (too busy in my own company now), they kept sending me certificates, pins and all sorts of gift wrapped things with a new label - premium member, regional director or whatever it was, care factor zero! All those things to me were clutter, they went in the bin. The only thing I cared about was $$$$ in my bank account not labels and stripes and stars and likes and trophies and kudos and little green dots.

MTR likes this.
  3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I believe the "like" feature will be gone, but when not sure, at least this is what Simon posted.

I think it adds no value to the forum and have seen it on many occasions being used in the wrong way to attack rather than what it was intended for.

Kudos system was a much better IMO.

4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

No, it is the trophy system that will disappear when I find the time to upgrade the forums to the next version. Nobody really pays attention to trophies and they are rather arbitrary in what they indicate - so has absolutely no value.

While I did think that the Kudos system we used on Somersoft worked pretty well for what it was - especially with the ability to leave a message along with it ... the biggest problem was that many people simply did not know it existed - even if they had received Kudos themselves.

The design goal with XenForo was to make the interface as simple as possible - and a simple "Like" mechanism was deemed a good compromise for allowing people to express their like or support of a post without resorting to all the "+1" or "me too" posts that you get otherwise.

It's not perfect - and it doesn't mean much beyond the fact that someone else liked or appreciated that post. It certainly does not indicate authority or quality or importance.

Corey Batt, D.T. and geoffw like this.
  5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

OK, I see, got mixed up.

I did not know anything about the kudos system on SS for years, I am technically challenged, but even I got it eventually. I think the great thing about this system is no one else views the comments, or gets to see who gave kudos.

At the end of the day if "like" is here to stay then so be it, just expressing my opinion, I "don't like" the "like" system.

MTR:)

Last edited: 2nd Nov, 2015
  6. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Can you replace the trophies with " a number of followers " .

At least I'd have a chance on that one , though I might need to elbow rixter a bit . Interesting how sometimes rixter sometimes autocorrects to rooster , or maybe it was just a spelling mistake by me .

Not that it really means anything at all ...:(

Does it ...:rolleyes:

Cliff

MTR likes this.
  7. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

I noticed something interesting with the Trophy system. The other day I reached 500x likes and was awarded a trophy. Then today I had a post deleted that had 6 or 7 likes (sad trombone :( ) so I dropped back below 500x likes but I still kept my trophy!!!!!

It's akin to being over the salary cap the whole year, winning the title but still being able to keep the spoils.

I like it!

8. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

I think lots of people (myself included) would like to think that they don't care how many likes they're receiving, however I think that often, whether you like it or not, you do care (at least somewhat).
    People like praise and acknowledgement, or in psychological terms: the positive feedback loop.

WattleIdo and bob shovel like this.
  9. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Question is , do you get the points again when you break that Barrier ....

Cliff

10. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

What about number of people ignoring me?

neK likes this.
  11. skater

skater Well-Known Member

This forum differs to other forums, as there were a whole heap of us that migrated from SS at the same time, so we were already prolific posters and some had a number of 'followers' as well, so the trophies, as such came a lot quicker than they would to a normal newbie registering with a forum.

D.T. likes this.