Likes given

Discussion in 'PropertyChat Community & Website' started by skyfall, 15th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. skyfall

skyfall Well-Known Member

When you click on someone's profile it shows the amount of likes received but not given. Would it be possible to also show how many likes someone has given to balance it out. Most boards have this feature so I'm not sure why it's not activated on this platform?

Perp, Terry_w and bob shovel like this.
  2. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

I don't really think it's necessary to have an indicator of how many likes someone has given. It could just be that they believe that it's a bit narcissistic and that they don't want to be part of that, however to another person it could appear that this person is being stingy and only taking and not giving.
    So I see it as something that could create resentment and little benefit for users.

Perp likes this.
  3. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

I personally wouldn't see any value in displaying likes given.

Last edited by a moderator: 16th Jul, 2015
    Perp and MTR like this.
  4. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    X2!

Perp likes this.
  5. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

From a statistical curiosity point of view, it would be interesting to see a likes given / likes received ratio ... but that data isn't exposed by default.

Making this data visible isn't terribly high on my priority list.

Perp likes this.
  6. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Perp likes this.
  7. 158

158 Well-Known Member

Every time I see this thread come to the top all I can think of is:

Zero ****s given! :eek:

pinkboy

neK and moyjos like this.
  8. Jamie_

Jamie_ Well-Known Member

Would actually be interesting to see figures on who's like particular users posts more i.e. people helping to peddle someones service

9. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

+1

10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Its interesting that out of top 5 with highest like votes, only 1 is a business member.

This person is up there because of the quality of his posts IMO.

I don't care either way, I don't really see any benefit to view likes given. There are too many variables, ie how regularly does someone post, and we don't need PC police, geez it's just a forum

Mtr

Jacque likes this.
  11. Jamie_

Jamie_ Well-Known Member

I still think it would be interesting to see where peoples likes have come from, i.e. if you could see where @DaveM s likes came from and they were 99% DT and 1% waldo :p
    <3

OC1 and MTR like this.
  12. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

but you can, just track it if you could be bothered and then what?

Not at all interested in this stuff, I have better things to do with my time, like make money.

Last edited: 18th Jul, 2015
    Perthguy and Jacque like this.
  13. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Someone can give you a like just because they like your post - similar mentality and agreement on a topic....a big "back-slap" fest.:cool:

It doesn't mean that post had any meaningful content, even though it was liked.

I mean; 99% of my posts are just useless rubbish, but I still get likes.

Go figure.

I'm pretty sure that for every like I get, there are 50 PM's flying around about what a dick I am.;)

Conversely, I often like someone elses' posts because they have given someone else a bit of a serve - I have a sick sense of humour no doubt. :p

So, the likes aspect is pretty irrelevant.

Having said that, I like getting likes - it makes me feel good - and I'm sure everyone who gets them feels the same - a bit of recognition without having to go on FB and/or Twit and say; "Hey world...LOOK AT ME!!" :rolleyes:

{mod: deleted solicitation of likes} It was a joke, Sim.

Ta.

Last edited: 20th Jul, 2015
    neK, Jamie_ and 158 like this.
  14. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I think the 'likes' function is valuable because it gives useful feedback. It would be better if the opportunity to leave a comment was included as well.

I question how much value there is in automatically diplaying the number of likes received, given, or even the number of posts. People tend to place value on how often someone posts, even though it's not always deserved. Given a choice, I'd have these in people's profiles but not displayed in a thread. Let peoples reputation stand on what they say, not how often they say something.

hobo, MTR and Jacque like this.
  15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Peter great post.

I only looked at the forum rules today for the first time, cos I stuffed up with copyright stuff, now sorted, wont be doing that again:)

This is from the forum rule book on likes
    Soliciting of "Likes" - requesting or suggesting that people like your content, or colluding with others to like each other's content will result in likes being removed in bulk and potentially being banned from the site

I prefer the kudo system on SS, but I don't make the rules around here and happy to go along with what Sim is doing as I think in general its working well.

We all have our own opinion on what is a meaningful post, I will leave it at that. I am enjoying Steve's posts, nothing to do with property, but learning a lot, no wonder he has so many likes:)

The only issue I have is when people use the like button as a way of attacking someone in a passive/aggressive approach. If it happens to you, report it.

MTR:)

Last edited: 20th Jul, 2015
    Perthguy likes this.
  16. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

There is an opportunity to leave a comment - it's called replying to the post :D

Like = I liked your post, but have nothing more to add
    Reply = an opportunity to express just how good your post really was

MTR and hobo like this.
  17. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I 'like' the likes, but I liked the kudos better. The comments you received with the kudos were private, and sometimes not really suitable as a public reply, but sometimes with giving kudos you really only want to say 'I agree", in which case, 'like' is all that's needed.

MTR likes this.
  18. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Me too. I like that you like what I like... kudos system.

Perp likes this.
  19. skyfall

skyfall Well-Known Member

I personally don't see any value in displaying likes received which is what you described.

20. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Imagine if you just had a score/rating on post - 1 to 10, that would be nasty, but perhaps nice.....oops that is naughty;) ....