Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

Like my work. Hate my workplace.

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Tim86, 7th Mar, 2016.

1. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Does anyone else experience this? A workplace turns into a witch hunt where people are lodging complaints about each other left right and centre because they are "offended" by something someone has said.

Ive had a few recent incidences of this at my workplace.

The most recent case was when someone overheard my conversation in the lunch room when I was talking about nightshifts and I said "the last thing I want to do at 4am in the f"ing morning is answer another phone call".

Someone overheard and of course was offended and now I get to have a meeting with my manager about it.

Arrrghh its doing my head in.

Another time I set off the fire alarm at work because someone when setting out the kitchen put the toaster directly underneath the smoke detector. Im talking smack bang underneath it. So when my toast got slightly brown it set it off.

Everyone had a good laugh about it at my expense. Which is fine. And then at the end the shift I sent out a message saying "Im off now so no more impromptu breaks tonight. Sorry for any inconvenience. But remember what happens on a sunday shift stays on a sunday shift."

That joke landed me in hot water with 3 managers.

My workplace is becoming somewhere that I absolutely dread going to. Its burning me out. Which is crazy because the work itself I like. Its just the rest of it thats driving me nuts.

2. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

I can relate. The environment in my last job wasn't great.

So I started on a plan B.

Rest is history.

3. Kinnon Bell

Kinnon Bell Finance Broker

Weren't you doing counselling on the side? Can that be full time instead?

4. vtt

vtt Well-Known Member

Tim86 perhaps you need to make a change your behaviour. Swearing in the workplace is generally considered unacceptable and your joke was also not appropriate. Play by the rules and you won't get burnt.

If you love your job then you're probably also good at it but don't let silly quips ruin something you enjoy.

Bran likes this.
  5. catsteve

catsteve Active Member

too many managers by the sound of it. Tell the next one to shove it. somethings got to break.

legallyblonde likes this.
  6. Waldo

Waldo Well-Known Member

Man glad I don't work at your workplace!

Don't give up mate, I'm sure it will improve!

Last edited: 7th Mar, 2016
  7. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Sounds like you work with a bunch of women!

jim1964, mrdobalina and Doncossack like this.
  8. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Govt office?

Even big business gets a little too precious. I got pinged for offering one of my rentals to some 457s I managed. Someone thought I would have too much control over them and it was reported up to the Corruption team. After a meeting or 2 it was decided my genuine offer was ok. Geez

legallyblonde and Tim86 like this.
  9. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

PropertyChat??? :D:D:D

Perthguy, Vultures, Waldo and 9 others like this.
  10. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I was warned twice in my previous job in tech support. One was for using a very mild word in an email- I think it was "damn". The other was for a cartoon about tech support users. Very funny, but apparently one isn't allowed to have fun.

11. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

That's the way the world is heading. It will just be people walking around saying everything is offending them eventually.

I think that's funny enough. You should just have fun with it, take the piss out of them while deadpanning like you don't know what they're talking about. What's the worst that could happen, you get fired from a job you don't want to go to? ;) F em.

Tim86 likes this.
  12. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

I'm offended when others take offence to things I say.

Just take a small job bag of cement and put it on the lunchroom bench and cross out the word cement and replace it with "Coffee Whitener" and watch what happens. :p

13. Nemo30

Nemo30 Well-Known Member

The environment you work in makes a massive difference. I worked in a role I absolutely loved for 8 years - couldn't imagine ever leaving. 1 staff member changed the dynamic significantly and I ended up leaving. I have moments where I miss the job, but I definitely made the right decision.
    If you're feeling that way, I would find something else.

I know the field you work in and there are lots of other opportunities out there. I'd look for something else.

14. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

I did say to my manager that if we have a policy that doesnt allow us to swear in the lunch room then that is fine Ill take it on board while I work here.

But honestly... a swear word upsetting people....these days? We are in australia arent we?

It just seems really really petty. Especially considering its acceptable in our workplace to swear in our counselling sessions when the client is swearing and we are summarising or reflecting what they are experiencing.

Given the context I feel the joke I made about the fire alarm was appropriate. When everyone else is joking about it at your expense and you lean in to it to take the sting out. Is that really such a bad thing. Especially at 10pm on valentine's day when everyone was stuck at work instead of being at home and everyone was joking around taking silly pictures and dressing up to make missing out on valentine's day that little more bearable. But then a manager that wasnt there comes in the next day and sees what you wrote in the message history and then berates you for it...

It just all strikes me as a bit petty. As just an all round critical place to be. And Im not the only one. People are constantly getting pulled up for petty things. Its really getting on my nerves.

I think everyone just needs to get over themselves a bit and actually give their co-workers the benefit of the doubt.

WattleIdo and Ambit like this.
  15. Joshwaaaa

Joshwaaaa Well-Known Member

So happy to be a blue collar worker when i hear stuff like this, wouldnt last 2 seconds in an office place i dont reckon

moyjos and legallyblonde like this.
  16. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Give me a construction site over this **** any day mate.

17. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I would say I don't know what you're talking about...
    ...but if you tell me the name of the ****** who told you that I swore I will ***** the **** of a *******.

jim1964 and Tim86 like this.
  18. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

I dont think Id get fired. You have to be pretty bad to get fired here.

Im going to drop to 3 shifts a week. So hopefully hardly being there will help.

19. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Lol I know who complained too. Shes the resident workplace bully that for some strange reason had never gotten the can.

Shes the only person I have ever complained about in any workplace ever. And thats because we work with vulernable kids and while an inspiring story on the tv was talking about a disabled woman overcoming her set backs this workmate says "I hate disabled people". I thought that attitude was probably worth looking into considering our job.

Perthguy likes this.
  20. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Sounds the are people that are
    1. Little bees with an itch
    B. Bored. Lack of constructive work is a big thing, you either get on you tube or you make things out of nothing
    3. Looking to promote themselves by ****ting on others
    F likely to hold a uni degree :p
    9. Workplace politics and pc is on the rise. And it will get worse.being in brissy your 10 years behind Nanny South Wales,it's only going to get worse!

HUGH72, Tim86 and Leo2413 like this.