Lighting in your rental property

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by SaberX, 19th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. SaberX

SaberX Well-Known Member

@Westminster - i thought it would be contingent on your wattage than product? I.e. with the LED ceiling lights for myself they'd be 10w or 15w for hillstone. One 15w would probably make do in a bedroom for now.

With the fluoro oysters what sort of wattage are they? And correct me if I'm wrong but there are fluoro and led oysters aren't they? Isn't LED longer lasting, or is there a reason so many have stuck to fluoros?

@bob shovel no standard package for lighting. I think you can add in LED downlights for the usual 100+, but haven't costed it up. I'm sticking with standard redicote doors and grey'ish style tiles.

Is it easier or cheaper from everyone's experiences leaving a standard bayonet in versus a junction box when it comes to calling in the electrician costs wise? i'm abit unsure with the bedrooms given the discussions above,whether if I leave a bayonet in the middle of say a bedroom will it be cheaper down the track for an electrician to pop the bayonet out and lump on an oyster light, the ceiling LED if i go for that, or so forth? Any advice - given I'm trying to finalise an electrical plan now to keep things rolling without having fully made up my mind what to put in?

It costs $9 extra for the JB and ofc you lose the bayonet as a result.... I doubt a normal bedroom would need two lights but the positive is a JB allows you that flexibility. On the other hand maybe people here have experienced cheaper costs calling out the electrician to replace a bayonet already setup than an untouched ceiling? Having a bayonet does leave the option to go cheap and not change the light after handover I guess?

I've been viewing many rental listings lighting this afternoon and i can't get over how ugly the one bayonet/light fixture is just sticking out of the ceiling. Like something is too bare or wrong with the look? Somehow it looks way too cheap or draggy for me, even as tight as I am with money and worried about overcapitalizing? Am i the only one who feels that way? Perhaps renters dont care and just want a roof over their heads...happy to be corrected from those who have rented, or are experienced landlords themselves.

Last edited: 19th Oct, 2015
  2. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Just be wary of going dowb the absolute basic route. The first properties to struggle in areas with heaps of development/construction are the really low spec ugly ones. Think no skirting, usually terribld colour selections, cheap lights and carpets and tiles, dark/hot.

I understand the appeal in wanting to spend the minimum required to get the desired result, just make sure u dont shoot yourself in the foot. This is esp true at the moment when tenants have their pick of properties

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We have older houses (Queenslanders) and they come with one central light. We've generally not altered that but left them as they were built 80 years ago. If we had a new build, we would go LED (and we've done that in our own house - older house too).

I cannot stay too long in a room with one central light, especially if it is dim, so if I lived in one of our IPs we would have standard lamps, table lamps. We rarely turn on our overhead lights (except kitchen LEDs). We use standard lamps and table lamps to shine pools of light. Mood lighting all the way ;).

4. sandyfeet

sandyfeet Well-Known Member

I put LEDs in my last one but will go back to fluros in the next. Cheaper outlay and easier for tenants

5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I don't like the single bayonet bare bulb look and agree it looks cheap (says she looking at her own ceilings! :oops:)

Hence why I use oyster. To be honest I have never considered using junction boxes or really worried about the wattage for an IP but I do care that it looks good. It doesn't have to be super dooper but some times the little things attract - that might be 3 pendants over the island bench, some LEDs in the theatre and some normal budget friendly like covering like an oyster for the other area

6. sanj

There is simply no reason for those horrible bayonets to be used. None

Westminster likes this.
  7. SaberX

SaberX Well-Known Member

@sanj good points. My worry too is going too 'basic' also has its disadvantages which one may overlook int he quest to avoid overcapitalising or spending on anything...

I would add one possible area "maybe" those horrible bayonets could be left in as standard lighting: your pantry, or even WIR. small enough and out of sight that I think it could be forgiven? THe pictures of rental listings on Domain with the single bayonet in the middle of the family room and one in the adjoining open living dining make me cringe. And I can't quantify it but I would hope tenants pay abit more if not consider another property based on the 'better' lighting, rather than worrying it may cost more to run more lights. That said I've been told by the lighting retailer that the LEDs are extremely efficient. I'm assuming the fluoros are all LED's that everyone above is running.Correct me if i'm wrong (@Westminster ? )

@sandyfeet cheaper outlay and easier for tenants - how? You mean to physiclaly buy the fluro led's vs LED ceiling lights? and why are these easier for tenants?

@wylie nice touch to ambience, but I'm afriad you are probably the exception rather than the rule. :) I don't think I've ever seen anyone use non ceiling mounted lights (lamps etc) apart from the odd candle or table lamp, but it was always a supplement to ceiling lights...

8. SaberX

SaberX Well-Known Member

So my question still stands: while one doesn't need Junction Boxes usually as Westminster mentioned, provided I'm still running conduits (C25) to the light switch, so anything can be added, would I be better off running a standard bayonet in the centre ceiling and having that outfitted after handover? Or running a JB instead ($9 e/o)

Is there any cheaper difference in retrofitting a bayonet by an electrician over leaving a junction box and an empty ceiling for them to work/cut their magic?

The third alternative would be leaving a JB out altogether (and bayonet). But then I assume you'd have to pay more to an electrician as no light switch would exist or be wired up? Unless the charge per light is a flat rate regardless of setting up wiring or not?

9. sandyfeet

sandyfeet Well-Known Member

from memory, i think i was roughly charged an extra $40 per LED installed. i had 2 villas with about 25 in each = $2000. tenants with a bit of common sense can easily change a fluro globe/oyster, for some reason the LEDs confuse some

10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Unless bayonets or lights are installed the NOEW can't be submitted to the energy authority. So leaving the job half done is impractical - better to install once rather than have a second sparky come out later - it may also require patching and painting the ceiling.

11. SaberX

SaberX Well-Known Member

NOEW? Sorry can you enlighten?

Having the bayonet in there would require patching. Hence I figured why not get someone out to install the lights fresh from a clean roof, to get it centred/right the first time around?My main query was I wasn't sure if electricians charged more or less depending on whether they were amending an existing bayonet to another light versus cutting and installing a brand new light on an untouched ceiling...

I'd then assume the most expensive (if there is an extra charge usually when it comes to installation of lights) is where you don't even have a switch plate to junction box wired up, and the guy has to come in and hook that up as well as the physical installation of the new light as per norm.

12. Scott No Mates

Notification of electrical works

13. Scott No Mates

Retrofitting of a wallplate for a switch is more difficult than when there's no plasterboard.

If the house is double brick where's the conduit & walkbox for power and switching?

Either let the builder build or pay through the nose for variations and reworking.

Do yourself a favour and complete an owner building course to get some basic knowledge.

14. SaberX

SaberX Well-Known Member

Required for issuing relevant suitable for occupancy permits? Should be able to get an electrician in and lights within the first week or two of keys handover if that's the case.

For access to grant for FHB i'm not sure if that NOEW is a requirement as they may go from key handover as being able to 'live' in there technically? ABit murky these things.

15. SaberX

SaberX Well-Known Member

Not sure what you mean by conduit and wallbox by power and switching, i assume you're referring to physical installation of the lightswitch and hooking up the power, rather than a DGPO power.

In this case yes I have been putting C25s to most light switches that are still in place at the moment (as I substituted Junction Boxes for Bayonets under the impression the $9 e/o was smarter. GIven the talk about 'lighting' here my question was removing the JB and leaving a standard bayonet in the middle of minor bedrooms, given you're unlikely to neeed a JB to hook two LED ceiling lights I'd imagine? Hence my question of maybe it was cheaper leaving the one bayonet in and having that retrofitted by an electrician than how i've gone about filling in JB's instead? As i'm putting C25 conduits to the light switch plates I'd assume one could retrospectively fit in additional light switches or a JB if the need for more than one light in those bedrooms becomes apparent? I.e. move into house)?

I figured the C25's to light switches also left conduits for fan installation should I change my mind about ducted RC aircond. Probably not given most rental listings offer it.

Will do an owner building course before my next reno, outfit or if I ever build again methinks... abit late now! :)

16. sanj

I really think youre overcomplicating a simple exercise. Find out how much oysters are vs down lights vs those disgusting bayonets, make a simple and easy commercial decision.

Let the builder worry about what sparkys charge more or less for.

wylie and larrylarry like this.
  17. SaberX

SaberX Well-Known Member

@sanj sparky would be my cost (as installation of lightd post handover) not the builders hence my question from others experience on prices.

18. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I would install what you want now. Secondary bedrooms could be a single LED (or two). Living areas to suit the style of house and demographic of renter.

Ugly bayonets can have Bunnings DIY fittings which are much nicer than the choice ten years ago. Are people saying some rentals have unadorned bayonets? I've never noticed any bare bayonets when I look on the net.

19. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Will depend on who your marketing too.

larrylarry likes this.