Light switches for queenslander?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Whitecat, 11th Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

What sort of light switches would go in a Queenslander that would look classy
    At the moment it has bakelite light switches that kind of 1920/30s style but I actually think that makes the place look dated.and even if they are classic to some degree they are still plastic.

I would like something with a bit more bling or something with a bit more class and refinement but that still suits a quernslander.
    I may not be able to change to those round ones I would have to check size of wall cutout.
    Thanks

2. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Sounds nice! But I love my pull cord light switches in my 100+ year old home. Such a satisfying feeling that's gained by pulling a cord and causing a light to turn on....

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

You can get the same with brass covers from HPM or Clipsal or independent manufacturers.

Linky
    Linky1
    Linky2

Whitecat likes this.
  4. bashworth

bashworth Well-Known Member

Schots (Lighting) is a great source of period fittings.

Whitecat and Scott No Mates like this.
  5. WallyB66

WallyB66 Well-Known Member

I usually go with the flush white switches from clipsal etc even for qlders as some people make the association that old fitting = house needs a rewire/ new switchboard etc- silly I know.......

6. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

Interestingly the bakelite switches are quite expensive?

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Plastic is cheap. When they developed a material which was electrically inert, did not conduct heat, was durable & cheap, manufacturers embraced the new material and went away from the more expensive bakelite.

8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

The problem with new switches on queenslanders with VJs is that you need the clunky box to back the flat switch, so it ends up being a big, ugly white box. I'd stick with the bakelite or a newer version, but in my opinion, sometimes the shiny new versions don't look right.

It depends on the level of finish you are going for. I'd always stick with the original bakelite or a replacement.

9. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

I have some of those clipsal ones in the link. They lasted about 6 months before the plastic inside broke. And Im talking 5 different switches all breaking the same way.

Complete garbage.

They may look like the old school ones but they are not made like they use to be.