VIC Light bulbs changing? Tenants or landlord?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Drekko, 7th Jun, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Drekko

Drekko Well-Known Member

Hi
    Just got back from changing 2 LED downlights and now the tenant is saying the garage light has blown

I dont mind getting them and changing them for the tenant as the landlord but its just a real pain to drive all the way there and change one light

I just googled, that its the generally the tenants responsibility to change light bulbs but then again rules have changed in VIC:
    Who's still responsible for changing a light?

Last edited: 7th Jun, 2021
  2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Did you just change the bulb, or swap the downlight out for a new one? There is a difference between those two scenarios.

3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Also whether a ladder is needed to change - eg cathedral ceilings, top of stairwells etc

The Y-man

4. jaydee

jaydee Well-Known Member

If it is simply a globe, then tenant's responsibility. (My leases clearly state this.)
    However, you have probably set a precedent for your current tenants.

jared7825 likes this.
  5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Precedent nothing. Tell them changing bulbs is their issue.

PinkPanther, datto, qak and 1 other person like this.
  6. Drekko

Drekko Well-Known Member

The first 2 lights I changed but they were LED downlight lights, They can still do this themselves but I did it because they are new tenants I am a nice guy
    Now just got back and an outside flood light is gone and agent has asked me to get one.. This one is a globe type, which they can still do themselves
    Just a pain to drive around

7. Cynthia Chow

Cynthia Chow Member

If it’s normal light bulbs and easy to reach, then it’s the tenant’s responsibility.
    If it’s too high or dangerous to reach, you don’t want the tenant to get hurt, it’s better you do so or arrange someone to do so.

8. Danielt25

Danielt25 Well-Known Member

Hi I am also curious to know whose responsibility this is to change a downlight. This needs to be replaced - downlight plugs into GPO in ceiling. Is it the tenant or landlord?

IMG20210620173948.jpg

9. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I can't possibly see how tenants would be expected to do this one. Leaves the LL open to too many litigation risks....

The Y-man

wylie and Michael Mitchell like this.
  10. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

Assuming that the power point etc is already there.. I can not see a reason why the tenant can’t do this. I am a female and this is pretty easy.
    If for some reason they cant, I don’t see why the PM can’t do it for them.

jared7825 and Michael Mitchell like this.
  11. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Seriously?

12. jaydee

jaydee Well-Known Member

Plug in downlight is landlord responsibility. It is no different to an exhaust fan which also plugs into a ceiling socket. Globes are a different matter unless they are hard to access.

Downlights also supposedly are meant to last 5+ years, so just on this basis it is not reasonable to expect a tenant to replace.

13. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

If I had this problem I would buy 3 globes not one, replace the one and leave a couple there for the tenant and perhaps the name of the shop.

I think everyone would appreciate that and would understand that doing this repeatedly is a pain. A pain for everyone.

It isn't really about globes it is about settling new tenant in and getting them comfortable with their minor maintenance.

PinkPanther likes this.
  14. standtall

standtall Well-Known Member

Only one tenant, but the bulb has got to really WANT to change.

Joynz likes this.
  15. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Many years ago we had a tenant who could not change light bulbs. Every time he tried, he broke the fitting. EVERY.SINGLE.TIME. His lease was not renewed.

16. Danielt25

Danielt25 Well-Known Member

I have some downlights which need replacement. (Cord and plug type). I have offered to the tenant (a new tenant - old tenant had no problems) that I will come and replace them (from above discussion: landlord responsibility). Tenant doesn't want me to come in (got very angry at Agent for even doing a routine inspection and taking photos for the report ( citing breach of privacy) and threatened to report him to RTA.

Agent suggested I drop some bulbs off to him and he will take them to tenant so she can install them herself. ( She had trouble changing battery in the remote and I ended up doing it for her - else I would have had to order new remotes as tenant said "remotes are faulty" - remotes worked with battery change!)

So I don't have great faith that tenant will be able to change the downlights herself - what if she fell off her ladder and injured herself? Even though I offered and she refused my offer to install, by taking bulbs to agent I could be seen as encouraging her to replace them.

So I was going to say to the agent - I will replace them faulty downlights but of course I will need access. I'm don't want the tenant trying to install them herself (ceiling can be easily damaged as those springs are fiddly). And then if it comes back like before 'I don't want the landlord to come inside" ... What should I do? (Electrician will be at least $200 for a call out and downlight change)

17. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I would get your PM to issue an entry notice, and have an electrician replace any downlight that need replacing. If there is any other electrical work required, get that done at the same time.

craigc and Heinz57 like this.
  18. datto

datto Well-Known Member

If you need a sparky to change a globe then you’ll need one to pull a plug from a socket (and vice versa).

It will end up costing a fortune. The sparky will just park his van outside the house and wait to get called in 10 times a day lol

19. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Organise to change them yourself, send an entry notice. The tenant cannot pick and choose who they want to access the house.

PinkPanther, craigc, skater and 2 others like this.
  20. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

I have elderly tenants and the handyman or sparky usually does this. It’s expensive but they aren’t up to stepladders and they do try to save up a few jobs.

SeafordSunshine likes this.