life insurance pay out.

Discussion in 'Superannuation, SMSF & Personal Insurance' started by Elives, 29th Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

so basically my gf dad has passed away and they made a deed with the stepmother and are supposed to receive money from the life insurance pay out. but it's more then 6 months and still haven't received anything. and only the stepmother is allowed to talk to the insurance company.

my question is how do you know the stepmother hasn't ran off with the money? it's written in the deed that once she receives the money she has to give some to the daughter. but what security is used?

etc in property you could have a caveat which wouldn't allow the other person from redrawing the loan / selling the property without notifying you the caveat (person).

how does it work with a deed? yes she does have a lawyer. and that lawyers idea was just make a clause like "must keep daughter updated every 2 weeks" something like that. but i mean the stepmother could just lie?

2. MRO

MRO Well-Known Member

I thought most life insurance polices had a named/defined beneficiary. If your GF is named surely she has the right to discuss with insurance company?

3. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

she doesn't only the stepmother has legal right to talk to the insurance company and the stepmother wont give my gf legal access to talk directly to the insurance company.

4. Handyandy

Handyandy Well-Known Member

Who drew up the deed and for what reason?

I suspect that it is tied up with the estate. Sounds like the gf allowed the step mother to draw up a deed of settlement and she signed without seeking independent legal advice.

Need more info.

5. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

it is to do with the estate of her late father and it was done by her lawyer.

6. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Deed of family arrangement?

This deed would be set up by the parties, who would be beneficiaries of the will or potential beneficiaries, and the purpose would be to divide things up in a way to vary the instructions in the will.

Separate to this the beneficiary of the insurance policy would be entitled to the insurance proceeds.
    No way of knowing when or if the insurance company has paid without the cooperation of the beneficiary.

7. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

that makes sense, but what actually makes the stepmother pay. i mean my gf will never know if the insurance has paid out. i mean the only person who knows is the stepmother and lets say she's lying and has got the insurance money 3 months ago. my gf could never prove this as she's not aloud to talk to the insurance company directly? what would you do in this scenario where you don't trust the beneficiary?

8. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Its like any promise. nothing to stop someone breaking it. Ask for the last correspondence from the insurance company. If in doubt you can ask their lawyers to talk to each other. Otherwise sue. Both are parties to the deed I assume?

9. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

yes they are both parties to the deed. thanks for the info i'll let my gf know cheers!

10. CU@THETOP

CU@THETOP Well-Known Member

If it is a Super death payout your GF may be a dependant. Superannuation Complaints Tribunal?

We provide our clients with the opportunity to select their own investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities. We provide the research to ensure your selections will achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.