LIC & LIT LIC's v ETF's which is better and why

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by 2935, 3rd Oct, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. 2935

2935 Well-Known Member

Hi All,

After the VAS dividend for this quarter being fairly low because of an institutional investor withdrawing from a fund that the ETF shares with a Mutual Fund I have started to question the wisdom of this ETF.

ARGO's site list their returns on a 'dividend reinvested" basis as compared to the Indexhttp://www.argoinvestments.com.au/portfolio-performance/portfolio-performance.

VAS I assume does not include it's performance on a "dividend reinvested" basis.

Is anyone else having this ETF v LIC thought. After having evolved from investing in individual shares to an ETF Index way of investing I am now considering LIC's. Any thoughts out there on the various pros and cons of each.

Perthguy and Terry_w like this.
  2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

3. 2935

2935 Well-Known Member

Hi Simon
    Did I post in the wrong area?

I assumed "Other Asset Classes" to be ok for this type of post.

Sev

4. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

Yep here we see the difference between open end and closed end structure.

The bogleheads never mention this :)

Personally I prefer company structure, but then you are taking on manager risk as well. Very much a case of dyor

truong likes this.
  5. Simon Hampel

Yes, but I'm encouraging people to move these topics over to InvestChat since that site is designed for exactly this type of question.

6. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

He's trying to direct you to his other site. Looks a bit ordinary despite the Herculean efforts of @austing who should be getting paid for the effort he's put in!

Ynot and Anne11 like this.
  7. Simon Hampel

It's only been a couple of weeks since the site was relaunched - will take a bit of time to get back up to speed. The more people who support it by posting there, the better it will get.

8. 2935

2935 Well-Known Member

Hey......is this a thread about LIC's and ETF's or another website?

Simon I have looked at the other site and as a mainly property guy I don't feel I am in the same league as a lot of the posters over there. That's why I posted in the old Somersoft Forum (here) as I like the type of people that inhabit this place. Many of them are at my level of knowledge....or lack of it.

9. Simon Hampel

That's kind of the point - by spending time on InvestChat, you'll learn a lot more from a more diverse range of people than you find on a property site.

10. 2935

2935 Well-Known Member

Simon.
    Why not delete the "other asset classes" forum if you don't want us to post there then?

It would be a whole lot politer than killing a thread off that someone has gone to the trouble of posting.

I understand where you are coming from. I just think you are going about it the wrong way.
    Still you are the owner now so as some here say "it up to you".

Nodrog likes this.
  11. Foxdan

Foxdan Well-Known Member

Personally I think the questions about other assets should stay. I don't want to check multiple forums when there are some good responders on here.
    Let the other forum form its own community rather than spreading this one thinner.

12. Simon Hampel

At the end of the day, I'm here to encourage discussion, not stifle it. I posted a single link with the intention of encouraging people to consider the other community.

That was all I had intended to say about the matter - I only posted further to clarify some points that were raised, I didn't intend to drag the discussion off topic and I certainly wasn't trying to kill off the thread.

Anne11 and Foxdan like this.
  13. 2935

2935 Well-Known Member

Hi Simon,

Fair enough.
    I don't think the brains trust on this site will want to post here now. Why not just delete this whole thread. I don't like how its turned out either.
    Best Regards
    Sev

14. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

I've been giving it my best shot on InvestChat but I've just about run out of time, motivation and energy. Plus it's starting to become embarrassing seeing mostly my posts (an amateur) albeit all I'm trying to do is create traffic. Looking at the posts read count there seems to be people reading them but hardly anyone is contributing except mostly for one other person with some interesting views to say the least. I'll keep posting on IC albeit much less but it's up to other members there now to do their bit.

On the other hand I don't feel I can just give up on PC completely given the warm friendly and respectful nature of most members here. And to date we've successfully managed to deter the traders and crazies from taking over here. Although perhaps some here think I'm one of the crazies:confused:.

Ynot, Serah, Sonamic and 4 others like this.
  15. Simon Hampel

Like I said, it's going to take time. It's unrealistic to expect instant traffic.

16. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Hi @seven, I hope I and others here aren't coming across as being perceived as some kind of expert or part of the brains trust. We're all just amateurs here trying to help each other. It's not anyone trying to take on a brains trust role but if we don't respond to posts at times no one else might resulting in a thread going dead. Apologies if we've disappointed.

17. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

18. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Bit late for that,but's it's always a good idea to question the error rate ..

19. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

Ynot, Perthguy and Nodrog like this.
  20. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

He, and my banal questions

Nodrog likes this.