Liberal leadership challenge?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by geoffw, 20th Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

2. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

It will be interesting to see what happens in Malcolm's electorate now. While he won the seat with a very strong majority, the events of the last week may give a signal as to what the electorate thinks of the changes.

Malcolm held the seat with a 17.7% margin at the last election, but only 2.5% in 2007. ALP have never held the seat.

Tony Abbott's sister Christine Forster is nominating for Liberal preselection. There's a report that Kerryn Phelps will stand as an independent.

3. Tattler

Tattler Well-Known Member

I think his seat at Northern Beaches is a very safe Liberal seat. So unless the Liberals internally knock him out there is no way he will go. I cannot see it happening when he has support from the Right.

4. geoffw

He holds the seat with a 23% margin (2pp). While I suspect he may be punished to some extent by the electorate, I can't see him losing any time soon.

A member with a much smaller majority may not have been as vocal in the leadership battle.

TAJ likes this.
  5. geoffw

hobartchic likes this.
  6. geoffw

Here you go. Malcolm contributed $1.75m of his own money in the last election. Now the party is short of cash.
    The Liberal Party is short of cash just months out from a federal election

7. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

In addition, a signifant crash in their primary vote will see the aec giving them even less money. Further compounding it will be lack of donations from Businesses due to their tarnished brand and likely loss at next election.

Let's not even talk about the millions in volunteer time that Labor/greens/getup get (good thing to be politically engaged...those networks take a time/trust/effort to maintain)

8. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

That is no barrier really, after 3 months, they will go to Malcolm for a donation commitment for the next election - they are that arrogant :)

While I say that in jest, I have seen this type of thing over and over from people in many walks, so, I would not put it past them to expect it.

9. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

10. dabbler

A write up on Julie, but they ruined it by saying she is out Hillary Clinton.......what an insult too Julie, of course she must have some political savvy, but that is where the comparison would stop.

If it was a vote for her to be elected as PM, I suspect the public would have gone for it is it was our system.

Bit sad she will not keep working for us and the country in the same position.

AndyPandy and Perthguy like this.
  11. geoffw

Lizzie likes this.
  12. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

13. Dean Collins

Dean Collins Well-Known Member

14. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

In a public address today Julie Bishop has slammed the appalling behaviour that went on during the leadership crisis and in Canberra in general.

Julie Bishop slams 'appalling behaviour' in Canberra in first post-spill address

"It's evident that there is an acceptance of a level of behaviour in Canberra that would not be tolerated in any other workplace in Australia," she said.

"I have seen and witnessed some appalling behaviour, that in a law firm I would never have accepted but in parliament, it's the norm."

Last edited: 6th Sep, 2018
  15. dabbler

lol....no poor behavior from what is likely legions of psycho lawyers just frothing to rip someone, anyone, a new one for some $$$.....

I think our society has things ass backward when they think everything should be a level field, all nice and polite yet be effective, the very nature of politics if your even having a poor half assed go, means your going to offend and upset people.

16. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

17. geoffw

paulF, Player and inertia like this.
  18. Player

Player Well-Known Member

19. geoffw

While another country's leader has been accused of colluding with Russia, our PM openly goes around with a nickname like Mosco.

20. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Saw this thread pop again and got excited ... but alas ... no

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.