Liability in apartments

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by ATANG, 29th Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. ATANG

ATANG Well-Known Member

Have neighbour below filing an insurance claim on a leaking issue from our apartment, which was a lot higher that what we think. Is there anyway to dispute it or just have to suck it up? Has anyone come across these kind of issues?

2. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

had a leak a few times though it was against my apartment to myself. shouldn't really matter - since owners corporation insurance should be paying for it - if the leak leaks into flooring and it is damaged (if the floorboard is no longer manufactured - the whole flooring would even have to be changed).

what was the source of the leak and was it noticeable ?

3. ATANG

ATANG Well-Known Member

Source was confirmed to come from my apartment shower, and we already paid $1k to fix it in their void ceiling. But months later now, we got this insurance excess claim of $4k with original bill of $11K. Seriously, i saw the damage before, it was just a few water mark in the ceiling and wall, just need to paint over. Have no idea why it would cost $11k to fix it. Wasn't been shown the original bill at all, just an invoice from the builder with insuranc excess figure.

4. melbournian

that is pretty expensive excess claim of 4K.

I think you can ask the owners corp manager or maybe ask the builder what the breakdown is.
    leaking can cost a lot - you can't just repaint over it - you would have to cut out the plaster, work out if there is mould (as it is not healthy). have to ascertain what he damage is and what works is done. I would say did you look at your waterproofing? did they give you a certificate when they fixed your leak? is your a tiled shower or shower base?

5. ATANG

ATANG Well-Known Member

Oh well, it is a very old apartment, so piping can be aged. I will ask for what the break down is.

So for apartment living, there's just no way to protect yourself againsts these kind of things? As in, is there any kind of insurance that you can get? The fix wasn't done in my apartment, it was done in their void ceiling, which has pipe connected to my shower base.

6. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Wouldn't this be a matter for the insurer?

Ted Varrick likes this.
  7. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Your first point of call is the building insurers (through your body corp), and next your LL insurance.

The Y-man

8. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Are you in a strata block?

And if so, why isnt the Strata Manager and Committee dealing with it, assuming SA operates similarly to NSW?

9. melbournian

I had many many many insurance claims before but if it is to do with the building (piping flooring) it is under the owners corporation insurance - I would be questioning what kind of operation they are running (4k excess is heaps) to be honest. My last claim was air con leak (which was professionally installed however as they were using zinc studs that had been cut out, during the operation of pulling the pipe for the excess water out it shredded a hole in it. and hence was leaking into the skirting boards and flooring. they paid me out for replacement with excess of $800.

if it is in the ceiling and piping - that is considered the owners corporation responsibility.i would be asking definitiely what the problem is. at 4K I would getting a legal opinion. if it is $800 forget it.