Liability for bathroom roof in unit

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by kairos, 9th Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. kairos

kairos New Member

hi guys, I am desperately seeking any advice before my contract expires on Tuesday next week on a unit I am looking to buy in Morningside, Brizzie.

The issue is that the owners have done some work ( a block of about 20cmx20cm with some patching over it) in the ceiling of the bathroom directly above the bath.
    The building inspector flagged it and mentioned that I should get details of what work was done and whether done by registered plumber/ builder. He said that if the ceiling was found to have any concrete cancer or other defects that may have arisen as a result of the work, I may be liable for any future costs.

Failing that, he said I should check body Corp if they would cover if any work would need to be done if things like concrete cancer or moisture I'd found in the future.

The sellers say they have no record of the work as it was done over 20 years ago ( even although the plastering looks white and reasonably fresh). The body Corp says that any leaks from the upstairs apartment would mean I am not liable, but are unclear on whether I will be liable for any other ceiling defects considering the lack of details on the work that was carried out.

The sellers agent is pushing me to go ahead and my solicitors have warned against it, but I think they have less of an idea on the situation than I do to be honest.

Help!!

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Is it a single or multi story unit? What floor is your unit on, if the latter?

Is the ceiling concrete?

3. kairos

kairos New Member

2 story block, with garages on ground floor. The unit is on first floor with one floor above. The ceiling is concrete