LIC & LIT Leveraging to buy shares

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by Realist35, 14th Feb, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. PandS

PandS Well-Known Member

You can but you face time decay and it is not free it has a cost which is far too complicated for someone who just want to buy shares on leverage

SatayKing likes this.
  2. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Yep. Always turn a simple question into a complicated answer.

3. MangoMadness

MangoMadness Well-Known Member

I have thought about using a small amount of leveraging but less than my emergency fund.

So emergency fund sits in offset against PPOR loan, investment loan is deductable and if the poo hits the fan then the emergency fund can be used to wipe out most/all of the loan.

I feel that having that emergency cash gives me flexibility rather than investing directly. I be paying a small % for that privilege but I think it worth it.

Kevvy7, ShireBoy, Niche and 1 other person like this.
  4. UncleDrew

UncleDrew Well-Known Member

There is probably a lesson in leverage to be taken from this week.

Simon Hampel likes this.
  5. ShireBoy

ShireBoy Well-Known Member

Buy more?

Danyool, Observer, sharon and 5 others like this.
  6. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

I have funds available in redraw ~$190k Facility setup under family trust.
    Thinking of leveraging this into something simple like VAS.
    Interest rate on the facility will be 3.38% at the end of this month.
    Issue is that it's P&I once drawn down, can't be switched w/out assessment which probably won't happen due to changes.

Thought is drawing down $100-160k of this ideally with return of ~5%+ gross up return.

Love to point out pro/cos what I might be missing.

$160,000 @ 3.38% P&I (29 years) = $722p/m x 12 = $8,664 p.a

$160,000 @ 4% = $6,400 p.a
    $160,000 @ 5% = $8,000 p.a
    $160,000 @ 6% = $9,600 p.a

Potentially capitalising interest (by using available redraw), thoughts from accountants regarding issues here.

Observer likes this.
  7. Zenith Chaos

Zenith Chaos Well-Known Member

Use the maxima as the benchmark. Leverage the percentage drop from the benchmark.

E.g. recent VAS maxima is $90. Drops 10%, then leverage 10% of your available $190k = $19k. buy $19k around $80-$81.

If it drops 50% to $45 then leverage $95k.

Only for diversified index funds like VAS or VGS.

Not advice, thought experiment only.

Lacrim, Sticky, Redwing and 3 others like this.
  8. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

Sounds pretty logical, I originally thought of larger parcels.

Using GFC being last major drop, which was ~60% so at each 10% drop putting in $30k
    That would get $180k if it went all the way to 60% which I don’t think it will, but who knows.

9. DoggaPP

DoggaPP Well-Known Member

OK, so finishing our application for LOC on PPOR today to buy up more Vanguard Wholesale units whilst they are cheap. Feeling calm and rational about this approach.

Snowball, sharon, Mooser and 2 others like this.
  10. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

@DoggaPP are you going to use the full limit of the LOC straight away as lump or DCA?

number 5 likes this.
  11. DoggaPP

DCA

Brady and number 5 like this.
  12. ShireBoy

ShireBoy Well-Known Member

Which lender and product did you go with? Was the application process quick? Can PM me if you'd rather.

13. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Margin loans? Yes

Investment loans secured by residential property? No (IMO)

Not advice

Greedo and ChrisP73 like this.
  14. UncleDrew

UncleDrew Well-Known Member

Of course this assumes you have residential property to leverage against.

ChrisP73 and Perthguy like this.
  15. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Naturally. The reason I raise it is that every time anyone mentions leverage with shares, everyone jumps in to say how risky margin loans are. And margin loans are risky. If you bought shares 3 weeks ago using a margin loan, you would be at risk for having the margin called now.

However, margin lending is not the only way to leverage into shares and people need to understand this. Previously, I took out a $300,000 investment loan secured by a residential property. It was supposed to be for a build but I ended up using it to buy another property. I could have used it for shares, or traded funds or an overseas holiday. The point is the purpose of the loan was "for investment purposes" so the bank didn't really care what I used it for (so long as I made the repayments).

In terms of repayment it's kind of triple protected too. The loan was secured against a rental property, so I had rent to cover the repayments. Then if I had used the loan funds to buy VAS (for argument's sake), the dividends are another income stream to cover repayments. As a final check, I have a job, so if push came to shove I could use my salary to cover repayments. I see that as low risk. Not at all like a margin loan.

Ok, so let's say I buy VAS at $90. That would net me about 3,333 shares. If the price of VAS dropped to $50, I would still have my 3,333 shares, so from that point of view I haven't lost anything real. The bank can't margin call my loan because it's secured by real property. I can ride out the downturn and it should not affect my income from the shares too much.

The other side is when the markets are going well. The rental property is increasing in value and the shares are increasing in value, so it's kind of like getting double growth in some ways.

I see a lot of upside in this strategy.

16. ChrisP73

ChrisP73 Well-Known Member

Roof over your head, tax free capital gain, no land tax and source of low cost funding to leverage equities. Ah, home sweet home :)

17. DoggaPP

State Custodians. Very easy process thus far. Loan approved and funds will be available early next week. We own our house outright and have no other debt and both have good jobs so there were no real hurdles. LOC is for 25 years.
    edit-typo

number 5, Burgs and ShireBoy like this.
  18. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Safe and leverage don't really go together.

Leverage increases risk, which is the opposite of safety.

It can be done - but needs to be done very carefully. You need a strategy to manage the risk and you need to strictly follow that strategy - especially during volatile markets.

My chart of CFS Wholesale Geared Share fund over the last 12 months or so (dividends reinvested) ...

upload_2020-3-14_8-40-11.png

If you picked the Dec 2018 bottom you would have doubled your money by the Feb 2020 top ... 100% gain.

But see how fast the fund drops when the market goes south? Nearly 50% drop in the value of the fund so far (up to Thurdsay) - even with dividends reinvested!, and so you'd be back to where you started (or worse if you didn't pick the bottom).

Volatility works in both directions and these geared funds can be extremely volatile.

19. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

Make sure you really understand how these geared ETFs manage their debt ratio. In an environment like the one we are in now they are forced to constantly maintain their ratio by selling shares as the market falls. Say you bought at the start of the week before the heavy falls, if by some miracle the asx were to bounce back next week you would find that geared ETFs would not recover by the same amount.

fritzsticker and Simon Hampel like this.
  20. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Exactly - I've been invested in the CFS W/S Geared Australian share fund for many years now and I've observed that there is a threshold beyond which the fund value drops dramatically - much more than you might expect. I believe this is the fund doing a self margin call, selling down to maintain its gearing ratio.

There's really not much difference between using a margin loan and using an internally geared fund - the internally geared fund can't arbitrarily allow gearing ratios to go beyond a certain level (they undoubtedly have a mandate for max geared ratio permitted), so they have to manage the risk in largely the same way that a margin lender would by making margin calls.

The main benefit of an internally geared fund is that you don't have to manage it yourself - you can leave it up to the professionals (at the cost of their management fee).

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia