Leverage - Do you use it?

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by Alex McDonald, 8th Nov, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Alex McDonald

Alex McDonald Active Member

I am doing a bit of research into leverage and was wondering if people use it maximise returns. If they do, how do they lose leverage (i.e. use it during a massive dip like last years election, GFC, etc)? People use leverage to buy property but it appears riskier in shares. With NABs Equity builder and no chance of a margin call, this may minimise risk??

I read this article and it got me thinking about potentially borrowing to invest. I am 33, have a family have already a large sum in super so am willing to accept high level of risk in our vanguard wholesale fund/share trading account outside of super. We have 20% Cash, 40% Aus LICs, 40% Vang Wholesale fund split.

I read Benjamin Graham;s book and he highly recommends a very conservative split of 50% Bonds/50% Shares and zero leverage. Over time though, this does;t provide the most returns.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Leverage? Never heard of it!

Seriously though, it magnifies returns on the money you've invested ie your cash but also amplifies the risk too. Should the shares fall in value at often happens, your LVR will increase and the lender will want more cash from you to lower their exposure.

Last edited: 9th Nov, 2017
    SatayKing and Sackie like this.
  3. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Or, if you don't have the funds, sell sufficient shareholdings to cover the margin. Seen it happen many, many times and, in some extreme cases, even that may not be enough to clear the debt so the "investor" is in hock for a few thousand (if you can call $150k or more a few.)

Dangerous stuff can be gearing it can.

4. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Imho the more volatile the investment instrument the more dangerous leverage is.

5. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Maybe, maybe not. It's a question of properly managing the debt and not over committing, in my view.

I recall reading on this forum and elsewhere about a number of people (one being a real estate agent) who invested in property and went to the wall owing heaps. It was a slow burn to some extent.

In the case of margin loans, yes, it can happen rapidly but, ideally, one should not gear excessively, unless them low, dangly bits are made of steel, and should always have a cash buffer put aside for a "just in case" situation, which effectively means the gearing is not as great as first appears.

Nodrog and Sackie like this.
  6. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

NAB Equity Builder could solve the margin loan issue but sensibly restricts investment choice. However the choice offered includes a number of my favourite diversified investments being the major old LICs:

NAB Equity Builder

7. sharon

sharon Well-Known Member

I was thinking this is why people take out investment loans against the equity in their PPOR. Then the laon is secured against the PPOR - and not the shares. Hence no margin call???

Interestingly - I have done this. I have an investment loan IO against the equity of my PPOR (I also have an I&P normal home loan). I haven't actually used the IO loan yet to do anything as I still haven't worked out if I would be better off buying shares (and having the interest as tax deductible) or just pushing all my funds into the Home Loan first (the non-deductible part).

8. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Looks like the Nodrog reverse naming convention is gaining popularity. P&I —> I&P:D. The forum’s definately going backward:).

Snowball and sharon like this.
  9. sharon

sharon Well-Known Member

Yeah - lack of coffee is my excuse. :p

Sackie and Nodrog like this.
  10. Alex Straker

Alex Straker Financial Life Coach Business Member

@Nodrog, sent your alter ego a PM a little while back not sure if you are checking them...pls get in touch :)