Leveling Backyard how much does it cost?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by fullylucky, 9th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. fullylucky

fullylucky Well-Known Member

How much does it cost to level earth soil for 250 m² area (entire backyard).

The angle of the slope is about 1 to 3 degrees.

Also what kind of vehicle is needed? how wide of an access is needed? (because access from the side of the house is not enough to fit a small car through.

Also there is an existing shed on a cement slab in the backyard.

Also who should I contact to do this type of work?

2. rhinsor

rhinsor Well-Known Member

Hire a dingo or kanga and do it yourself or pay someone. Small ones can fit through a width under 1 meter.

Few hundred to hire for the day
    Few hundred to hire someone to do it
    Few hundred for the bin to load sand if you can not spead it across your land.
    Lots if you have to reconrete the shed

fullylucky likes this.
  3. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

+1 to the Kanga
    As you asked I guess you've had no experience with earthmoving equipment.
    You could waste a lot of time getting used to the controls, learning the tilt/angles of the bucket, back blading etc etc, time you could prob utilise better doing other things (like shoveling/raking away from fences and other items the Kanga can't get near, maneuver around) while someone who knows what they're doing tackles it quicker.

4. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

To hire someone with a dingo will probably cost $60 per hour, and to level a backyard will be most of a day I'd say - if you want it done pretty well.

Or; get them to do a rough level, and then you can finish it off yourself with rakes and shovels.

Dingos can fit down the side of most houses (1.5m clearway or maybe 1.8m). You can hire those mini versions yourself for a couple hundred a day most likely.

Plus removal of shed and slab break-up and removal - the dingo guy might be able to break it up with his machine, otherwise hire a jackhammer and do it yourself.

Then there's the skip to get rid of the rubble - they charge extra for concrete. You might be able to cut up the shed with an angle grinder, and call a scrap metal dude to come and take it for free.

I'd be allowing one gorilla, and hope for the best.

The Y-man likes this.
  5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Call José the backpacking landscaper. He'll come around with a few beefy blokes and knock it into shape.

• Do you need retaining walls built to stop the soil moving?
    • What is the soil like? Ie is it dirt, exposed rock, filled with rubble, clay, pristine manicured grass?
    • Do you need subsoil drainage?
    • Are you going have turf laid over the relevelled ground?

6. fullylucky

No retaining walls needed
    The dirt has 15% manicured blue couch 10% green couch and the rest buffalo grass.
    Don't need drainage.
    I'll reseed parts of it I want grass on, after it's flat.

7. fullylucky

As I have no prior experience in building any underground structures I fear I will only jeopardise the structural stability of the structure so I will not be doing that.