Leveling a sloped backyard

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by ashalim, 13th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ashalim

ashalim Member

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me what is involved in leveling a sloped backyard and also the approximate cost and time to complete the work for a 100sqm backyard?

Note: the property is in Kingston, QLD

Thanks in advance

2. Francesco

Francesco Well-Known Member

You need one or more retaining walls and steps. If the retaining wall is not higher than one metre, it can be a DIY job, using retaining wall blocks. Another popular option is to use treated pine sleepers. I suggest you decide the quality and type of retaining wall you think would look best for the property and ask the local landscaper for the quote.

WattleIdo likes this.
  3. Big Red

Big Red Well-Known Member

Hi Ashalim,

It can be expensive depending on what you want to do with it. Like Francesco said, depends on your council but you can go up to 1m with a retaining wall. It is cheap to do yourself, or you can do it properly via a landscaper.

Be prepared for the cost if using someone.

Also depends on how much of a slope you want to level.

Best tip get some quotes and come back here and share.

WattleIdo likes this.
  4. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Yes, please do that. Am very interested to see how you go. I'll be doing a retaining wall too and probably by myself. No idea where to start. By getting fit and rejoining a yoga group, I suppose. :confused:o_O:p I didn't want to put in all those emoticons but couldn't delete them ! :eek:

380 likes this.
  5. Pistonbroke

Pistonbroke Well-Known Member

I had some built last year: 1.8-2.4 m high. Approx 20 m including underpinning a slab, drainage, footings, core-filled reinforced blockwork, backfilling with imported crushed concrete (not rubble and spoil). Over $60k invested and little to show for it.

6. 380

380 Well-Known Member

@ashalim

Depends on slope..

You may need retaining wall, fill and sediment control.

You may be able to find a free fill/soil if you have construction site around you...just make sure there are no building material mixed in(potentially asbestos)

If it is more then certain height, you will need retaining wall with engineers certificate.

7. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

Could I also suggest you consider drainage? Who downhill would it affect? Can you link it to water ?
    I hope this helps

8. HD_ACE

HD_ACE Game-Changer

Have you got a photo?

Whats the purpose for the area? Just a grassed area or something like paving/alfresco etc?

bob shovel likes this.
  9. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

10. Francesco

Francesco Well-Known Member

You are emoticon funny!
    I have done a few DIY retaining walls and consider myself suitably at your service!

Define the problem - slope, what soil, how high retaining wall required, how long
    Assume retaining wall required is up to 1 metre high, so most engineered retaining wall block systems are adequate without a customised engineering design.
    Plan where water will drain to and how the steps will be designed.
    Plan how the two elevations will be finished - mulched, grassed or paving.
    Where to start - the local landscape yard to see the range of retaining wall blocks available. They generally look better than sleepers and can require less tools/skill to achieve a great outcome.

Blocks supplier have design handouts for DIY to ensure structural integrity.
    In addition to blocks you need bedding (blue metal dust), in fill drainage provision (pebbles and agi pipe).
    The top row of blocks can be affixed more firmly with external grade construction glue to minimise vandalism or petty pilfering
    Main tools required: shovel, level gauge, measuring tape and rubber mallet

Pick a day when the soil has been softened by rain to start breaking ground.
    I hope you make steady progress on the retaining wall. :)

WattleIdo likes this.
  11. ashalim

ashalim Member

Can't do DIY, I'm in Sydney and property is in QLD...it's just a grassed area but it's steep enough to discourage some potential tenants with small kids....60k would be way too much...I was thinking 10k...maybe it's not necessary for now :)