Lets talk Income

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by MTR, 21st Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

You cant buy this one "good health".

2. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Enough to survive getting sacked by a number of 20-something managers in a given year, who might think that staff constantly checking Facebook updates and texts every 5 minutes at work is acceptable behaviour, and not appreciating that it isn't.

HUGH72 and Sonamic like this.
  3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

I only need about $30-40k pa. And this would include one or 2 overseas trips.

Don't forget the more you need the longer it takes to get there. Be content with little.

4. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

@Terry_w Wow I reckon two (decent, in my future version) overseas trips would take at least half of the max range of your budget! :eek:

5. Terry_w

I spent $5000 on the last 3 week trip

hobo likes this.
  6. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

Is that with no mortgage and living in South America? I could do it with no mortgage and $50k pa but can't imagine managing with much less.

7. Terry_w

No loan (not mortgage) and living in Sydney.

Adele and ellejay like this.
  8. ellejay

Are you actually planning to retire on up to $40k pa though, or is that a hypothetical amount? Just being nosey :)

9. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Multiply x 4 when adding wife and kids.

Biz and ellejay like this.
  10. Terry_w

I could 'retire' any moment, but I like to work (casually though). I don't really plan to retire as I am not in the rat race.

ellejay, Adele and MTR like this.
  11. Terry_w

That includes 1 wife, but no kids. kids don't hang around forever (though some try to delay it forever).

ellejay likes this.
  12. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Please keep posting, your knowledge is valuable on this forum, so don't retire just yet:)

ellejay and Sonamic like this.
  13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

My kids seem to hang around, that's OK though, I enjoy their company:)

sanj likes this.
  14. ellejay

I was just curious as to how you'd do it, but sounds as though you're a bit like me using passive income topped up with salary from casual work when it suits.

15. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Its an interesting conundrum. How much is enough.
    I have seen too many people bust their ass so they have enough. By the time they got there, they realised they would never have time to use it all anyway.

I have a target of the magic $100k/pa mark. No idea why, it just sounds like a nice number. However, I am going to stop having a job well before I get there. On the understanding that I will need to, from time to time, top up the coffers so to speak.
    If I can walk away at $50k/pa passive and own my own home, I think 'it will do'. Wont be hard to do a few odd jobs here and there to get to the $100k and keep doing things to get to that $100k mark.

If it all goes bad, well, Ill be back shinning my arse as a desk jockey again.

I know the $100k is often the magic number, however, I would question how many people have actually ever made that figure (after tax) in a year. $100k is a pretty decent number to be spending in a year (esspecially if you own your own home and have no debt to service).

Blacky

ellejay and MTR like this.
  16. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Slightly off topic, the way we 'save' money on holidays - apart from snaring flights and hotels at low prices, is to ensure the holiday is as long as possible. That way, you'll:

- see more of the destination/region you're travelling in, and be able to take your time doing it
    - be obviously more relaxed. The 3 week point is when you truly start to get used to winding down, only to simultaneously dread going back to work.
    - save on food and accommodation - by default due to the length of your stay, you'll err towards airbnb type places and thus be cooking more and paying less than hotels
    - get more bang for buck from your flights ie 6 weeks compared to 3 weeks for example
    - typically, the longer you stay the better the hotel/airbnb rate

Going against my own rules as we're going to the US in April for 3 weeks, but if work is willing to let me take the leave, we'll do Bali/Japan for six weeks at the end of next yr.

Angel, MTR and ellejay like this.
  17. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

How much if you have more than one wife (very open and harmonious relationships). ;)

18. ellejay

Those are my thoughts. I can choose to use $50k pa and be comfortable or do a few extra shifts to be able to splash the cash more, imagine I'd be spending money for the sake of it though. That's why I'm not striving for $100k.

19. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

There are many countries where people report having a very comfortable lifestyle for under $2k pm.

Many people also report that they become a lot healthier. They tend to eat a lot better as there is such a good range of fresh produce available, and good quality food is available in restaurants. Often they walk a lot more. I found this in Medellin. Even though I worked full time I walked about 15 minutes to work, and I'd use my lunch hour to walk to find new places to eat. I lost about 6kg in four months.

20. ellejay

Are you planning to go back there for long period Geoff? I'm going to google Medellin :)