Cars & Motorbikes Let's talk cars...

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Barny, 8th May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Hi guys, just seeing if anyone knows a good panel beater in Sydney. Just calling around and seeing if I can get a good repairer who is going to do it at a fair price. The best so far is at Ring Smash Repair who quoted me $250 per panel but this was done over the phone and will go see them in person to obtain a more accurate quote.

Attached are the pictures of the damage made by the scumbag.

Attached Files:

2. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Its already got snorkel, uhf radio, tow kit, electric brake controller etc, so just some better lights and the rear diff lock for now. They became standard on the NT's but hard to find factory ones on the NS, and an NT at the price point of the NS + ARB locker was very high km in comparison (300+ vs the 190 on the one I bought)

Mechanically I will do the dpf delete pipe and egr blocker to prevent manifold sooting up more than it is. And probably diff breather extensions

Last edited: 19th Dec, 2017
  3. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

While u still live there and the person who scratched your car is still around. Would it make sense to just touch up the scratches so they arent super obvious and then get them to fix properly later so that the repaired panels dont just get scratched again?

jins13 likes this.
  4. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

Tony @ Cullen Smash Repair at Auburn is obsessive and will do a great job, but I'm not sure if he would be the cheapest out there.

Agree with @Tim86 I wouldn't repair until you know what or why it happened in the complex first in case it happens again....

jins13 and Tom Rivera like this.
  5. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Looks like you've really done your research! I'd also recommend also looking at a 2" lift kit to keep that long wheelbase clear on trails and avoid belly dragging on soft sand. I don't think they're too expensive for a Paj and you'll probably find the original factory shocks are tired by now anyway.

6. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Its on the cards as a maybe... there were some with a 2" lift already but thats generally a sign of being used to tow really big vans and I wasnt keen on that. A lift via smaller rims and bigger rubber can be just as effective

Tom Rivera likes this.
  7. Tom Rivera

The wheel arches aren't huge so I wasn't sure how much bigger you could go on the tyres at stock height. You'd need to massively increase the tyre size by 4" (i.e. 31's to 35's) to equal a 2" lift, though realistically you'd probably only go to a 32 or 33" tyre which would be fine. Bigger tyres throw out the speedo, increase fuel consumption, slow the car down, put more strain on the drivetrain and are usually more expensive to buy than smaller equivalents. Because you've got independent suspension all around you also don't need to worry about using bigger tyres to get the diff housings out of harms way like everyone else does (my favourite part of the Paj).

I guess it also depends what you do with it. You can probably get around for a while to see if you need more height. I scraped constantly on my first outing in the Freelander so I found out pretty quickly that it needed a good lift! Unfortunately no one makes a lift kit for my car so I've had to fabricate spacer plates and find some BIG tyres.

Tim86 likes this.
  8. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Refer exhibit A, the other pajero with a small lift and 33" aggressive AT's.. economy isnt ab big concern as I plan to swap the wheels for offroading

http://i.imgur.com/sfuKeie.jpg

9. Tom Rivera

Ah, I've done the same thing with my car. Factory tyres are 29" in diameter. I've got a slightly bigger set of 30" tyres for driving around every day and a very big aggressive set of 33" tyres for rough stuff.

Last edited: 20th Dec, 2017
  10. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

if its a manual please pm me if u ever decide to sell

Tom Rivera likes this.
  11. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Well I got my Ford Ranger Wildtrak a couple of weeks ago and I love it. My Christmas wishlist was:
    - gas struts for the tailgate (easier for me to open/close one handed and the kids can now do it too)
    - dashmats
    - new grille for the front
    - seat covers

I miss the vroom of the Cayenne but I don't miss filling it up with petrol all the time :( . Cayenne was 16ltr/100km and the Wildtrak is around 10ltr/100km turbo diesel.

Tom Rivera, Barny and DaveM like this.
  12. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

Was the Cayenne turbo diesel also? That fuel consumption seems high. Perhaps it was the V8 Turbo. That thing is a guzzler.

13. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Yeah it's the petrol V8 turbo. Beautiful car - but spendy on petrol.

{Note from mods - this thread continues here: Let's talk cars... 2018 [Cars & Motorbikes]}

Last edited by a moderator: 20th Jul, 2020