Cars & Motorbikes Let's talk cars...

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Barny, 8th May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

@Robert Petty , that's a very good looking CBR! I did Melbourne to Sydney and back last January on my 2004 yamaha R1 and i commute on a KLR650 these days!

2. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

@random It's generally silly to label an entire manufacturer, because the cars are all so different. That said... much of Jeep isn't great. I have a tenant with a 2008 Wrangler and it's given him some pretty serious issues. My brother-in-law also owns an early 2000's TJ Wrangler and although he loves it to bits- he doesn't trust it (wheel fell off on highway, blew diff, blew headgasket, 250km to 70L tank, etc.)!. My understanding is the newer Wranglers are much better cars, though I can't comment on little quality items.

I would hazard though that if you could keep a stunning '83 XJ on the road, a Wrangler will be a walk in the park. Almost anything would be a walk in the park! Have you got photos of it?

Tim86 likes this.
  3. random

random Well-Known Member

Yeah right , seems to be my car mates opinion of Jeeps too.
    Funny thing given Jags rep though , mate mine never missed a beat, my everyday ride , it was fantastic. Did Melbourne and back in her all the time too, 3hrs each way plus running all over down there, no problemo.
    Although just starting that thing in the morning and you'd forgive it for just about anything anyway but nope , she was great.
    Yeah got pics , l'll look around for them one day , just moved , **** everywhere.

Last edited: 5th Aug, 2017
  4. Dylan33

Dylan33 Well-Known Member

image.jpg

Barny and paulF like this.
  5. MichaelMik

MichaelMik Well-Known Member

IMG_0198.JPG IMG_0141.PNG

These are my babies. Proud to say I'm also part of the BMW team with an E34 535i, with the rare manual 5 speed. But it's in a sorry state at the moment. Sitting in a paddock with a blown head gasket... One day I'll bring it back to former glory.

C'mon CF and CG from property investing! Haha ;)

paulF and Barny like this.
  6. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

How's the merc treating you? Love it

7. MichaelMik

Oh I love! It's an absolute beast! You'd be hard pressed to get a car with as much grunt, and all the sumptuous fruit, as an E55 for the dosh.

When it comes time to fill her up at the bowser, or a big service, or tyres though. You feel it lol

But cars are a big passion of mine, and I always dreamed of owning a supercharged V8, so it's worth it. Unless you're filthy rich, you need a crumby Holden or ford on the side though! ;)

Barny likes this.
  8. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Big fan of the e55, fantastic car and so much grunt with some mods. Even standard it's a beast, would love one sitting for weekend cruising. It's a future classic so hold onto it.

MichaelMik likes this.
  9. MichaelMik

Thanks mate! She's a beautiful garage queen, so I shall be holding onto her. Stock as a rock at this stage though, only because I can't afford any mods haha! :p

Spent 3.5k last service getting a few things adhered to, mainly getting the supercharger rebuilt and a nasty oil leak and tyres lol but it's going heaps better then before. So I'm content with the power. For now..

Unbeatable for long trips, and a good image. I do recommend haha :D

10. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

How many km? Do you think they are reliable after 150k?
    I drive my mates e55 amg when ever I catch up in perth, really want one. It's a comfortable car with so much torque. His is tuned/supercharger pulley and making incredible power. Almost bought one over the m240i I just purchased for my daily.

11. MichaelMik

IMG_0258.PNG Was just glossing over the last few pages in this thread, and came across your post about E55s lol

Good to see you actually are genuinely interested! :p I'll attach a pic to help you make up your mind on colour haha. ;)

I bought mine with 111k for 32 grand, around 2 years ago. It's now got 135xxx on the clock, and has been pretty much trouble free motoring. It was my daily up until recently, when she got a massive oil leak. I had barely spent a cent on her up until this point. Except for standard things like intercooler pump (very common, but fortunately cheap thing to replace.) 0w-40 Mobil1 oil, and filter and all that.

They have absolutely bullet proof engines and transmissions. Same transmission as a Mclaren SLR :cool:

On YouTube there is a few videos of high mileage examples, for you to peruse. One with 400xxx Miles on it, still going reasonably strong lol. Kms are not an issue as long as they have been pampered and showered with money, throughout their lives. But the most costly parts of the car are indestructible.

To watch out for, are the engine and transmission mounts, the air suspension still operates smoothly, and obviously brake rotors on these 8 pot front brakes aren't cheap.

I'd do those exact same mods as your mates done. GIDDYUP!

That's my 2c. Anything else just ask.

Those 2 series BMWs would probably wipe the floor with it around a tight cornered track though. Just sayin lol

Maybe we should swap for a week? ;)

Barny likes this.
  12. MichaelMik

Oh make sure that it's fully loaded with options. I was looking for a few months till I found one with everything. Except for a panoramic sunroof (adds heaps of weight, so meh) and cooled seats (as well as heated, this would've been a cool feature.)

Keyless entry and start is a must though. Pressing the start button on the gear lever, makes me feel like a fighter jet pilot every time haha.

Last edited: 6th Aug, 2017
  13. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

I prefer original classics too... one of my toys... 1969 SS396 Chevrolet Chevelle FB_IMG_1476606750096.jpg

Serveman, Toon, josh123 and 9 others like this.
  14. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Around corners yes, the BMW is great and much lighter and better feedback, straight line unmodified I'd say similar times. We timed his merc (tuned) manual stop watch, 0-100 3.9 sec, needs larger rear wheels/tyres to stop the traction control kicking in. It's still on my list of cars to own, I would like one before prices sky rocket, they're slowly increasing now.

15. jim1964

jim1964 1941

One of my restos, XX7 Brisbane Built, rare as Rockin Horse Poo. 003.JPG

Chivaun.Shortis, Toon, Barny and 5 others like this.
  16. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

i always love cars but can never justify them because no.1 depreciating asset.
    and no.2 if i drop 60k on car i can also use it as a deposit to buy a unit or stock market
    but this year i am turning 30 thought i'll drive something that i dream of for a while as a reward for my patience through all this year.

cars in the workshop for some upgrades. will post when i get it back on wednesday.

here is a teaser.
    FORD-MUSTANG-S550-GT-in-Magnetic-20160516123831.jpg

17. Truly Exotic

Truly Exotic Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

this is my toy,
    only had it for a little while, the biggest car ive ever owned is a 1.8L 4 Cylinder

big jump in everything esepciall fuel and maintenance,

to a point that Im reconsidering keeping it

however I love it to bits

would love to have a 5.5/6.3L model, but cannot afford it

18. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

same before this is my biggest capacity was a 2.0 honda

19. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

I am looking to buy a compass, low km late year model, wife has threatened to divorce me if I brought that **** home

20. random

random Well-Known Member

What years the merc , looks a lot nicer than some of them lately.
    Does any one ever notice merc has been stealing the Jag head light and semi front look for years now, but still , it's nice.
    But they seem to have totally ucked their look this last few years`and they all seem much smaller too.
    Baby motor in that one though yep, you gotta get somem decent under the hood