Cars & Motorbikes Let's talk cars...

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Barny, 8th May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. BarneyRubble

BarneyRubble Well-Known Member

Into my conservative days now, or so I get told. However have these still taking up space in the garage (read not being used nearly enough):

Ducati 851
    Honda SP1 (purchased new, still only done 12,000km)

Barny likes this.
  2. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Love my RC F which I bought myself last Christmas. Seriously enjoy driving it every single time I get in it. Until I got this car, I only ever considered a car to be a method of transport, but this is so much more than that.

IMG_7571.JPG
    IMG_7603.JPG

Recently added an exhaust:

datto, Toon, Tim86 and 12 others like this.
  3. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

Back in the UK I worked my up up through a Nissan 200sx, (may be called a 180 or Sylvia over here?), then to a Mitsubishi FTO (heaps of fun) and settled on a Nissan Skyline GTS-T Spec 2, man, I loved that car. A clean, understated one but wickedly fast. They're pretty rare in the UK so it was a bit of a head turner.

[​IMG]

In 17 years of driving in the UK I got ZERO points, no fixed camera fines and never got pulled over, not a single time. We got here and bought an old bomb of a Pajero and in one 4 day road trip I got 12 points (well, I got 9, Emma "got" 3), $2k in fines and a months ban!!! So, that put pay to any thoughts of getting a fast car again, instead I got a Navara, such a versatile machine and can take 5 mates and 5 bikes wherever we need to go:-

[​IMG]

Emma was ready to trad up her Subaru XV last year. She wanted something with more grunt but also practical. She was set on a new Liberty, I kept trying to convince her to get a WRX. As luck would have it, Subaru went and brought out the Levorg just at the right time. Man, this is a seriously fun car and ridiculously practical. Heaps of luggage space, (actually more than the Liberty), fast, fun and returns 8 liters to 100k. I daren't drive it too much, don't wt to lose my license again!

[​IMG]

Phantom, dan_89, Barny and 1 other person like this.
  4. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Love the e30 bmw's, wish I had an m3 version sitting there for weekend duties. Do you still do any track work? I remember years ago coming onto the main straight at Phillip island the arse end gave way and I was heading straight for the concrete wall, last second correction saved my life. Most adrenaline I ever had, had to change my jocks afterwards.

5. BKRinvesting

BKRinvesting Well-Known Member

Great choice of cars :)
    And another FTO owner.
    As they were only ever grey imports here - they are much rarer and no one really knows what they are.

6. Propagate

Same in the UK, the FTO were all grey's I believe. The Skyline's had limited official release but very rare you saw a non-grey import. When the FTO oxygen sensor went I had to source a used one from New Zealand!

The Skyline was mental, rear wheel drive only with no electronic gadgets to aid. A straight 6 2.5 litre with a hulking great turbo and a full straight through stainless exhaust with a cat bypass. It was de-limited but the limiter alarm would still go off at 150mph (240kph).

BKRinvesting likes this.
  7. Propagate

@BKRinvesting

Found a photo of the old FTO, had this around 2005-2006. It was the non-MIVEC one, there were so few around that I got fed up waiting for a suitable MIVEC to come along and got the GR? (If I remember the moniker correctly). Still fun though, just not particularity fast.

[​IMG]

Toon and BKRinvesting like this.
  8. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Had one years ago, as a daily which was fun only at certain times, as in not the most comfortable car as the suspension was set up for track.
    Yeah I have missed the boat a little. Anything low km and original is sky high. The evo I still have a chance though, or a slightly abussed gtr's that needs some love. Just can't decide if I should spend the cash on something with a warranty and reliable or a weekend project car that won't loose money on. Sick of loosing money on depreciation all the time.

9. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

Holy **** that sounds (and looks) amazing :)

Phantom and Ace in the Hole like this.
  10. Dan Donoghue

My cars have been:

1978 Mini Clubman GT Replica (Worked the engine heaps on this thing)
    2001 Daewoo Lanos Sport (OK, We all get to make one car mistake in our lives!!!)
    2003 Toyota Corolla Sportivo
    2010 Subaru Liberty GT
    2016 Mazda MX5 GT (2L)

Next I will probably go for something like an Evoque convertible (Combine my missus SUV and my Convertible for the best of both worlds) in about 10 years

For a Toy (although if I am honest my MX5 is my toy), I would love to get an old MG B or a Mini Moke to work on, simpler times when we didn't have ECU's :)

Barny likes this.
  11. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

I'd never heard of an RC F before. ...Just went and looked it up......wholly moly! That thing is a BEAST!!!!

I can see why you love it!

Ace in the Hole likes this.
  12. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

IMG_4791.PNG
    How bout a Mini Cooper s?

Toon and Dan Donoghue like this.
  13. Propagate

@Barny @Dan Donoghue only two cars ever saw my Skyline off, a highly modded MR2 and a Mini!! The Mini was the new shape one, some sort of super charged beast. I used to see him regularly, the thing was insane, he'd have me from zero to 120-130mph and I'd slowly real him back it but would take us all the way to 150 to get back on level terms. A proper sleeper that thing, no idea what he'd done to it.

If you're into Mini's, check out this series, the amount of work they have put in to this thing is insane. Warning, I got hooked and binge watched 13 episodes in one sitting! Second warning, they haven't finished so don't get too excited to see the final product at the end, they are still working on it. Well worth a watch though.

Bad Obsession Motorsport

Dan Donoghue and Barny like this.
  14. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

IMG_4792.JPG

Yeah love the minis, r53 superchargered are unreal. Almost bought one, but decided on this at a few years ago instead. Sold long time ago. It wasn't the fastest car or mini I've ever had, but for the most joy ever, this was it. My favourite car that I still look through carsales on a regular basis trying to find one. Only 10 examples were ever brought to Australia.
    Mini John Cooper works world championship 50 edition....longest name in history lol. Tuned it, sports suspension upgrade and was sorted. Miss it. Only car I've bought and driven for a couple years, then sold it for more than I paid for it. Very collectable now days if you can get find one.

Propagate and The Y-man like this.
  15. Dan Donoghue

Too new, has an ECU once Rover started building them :).

I would love another flat nosed one (Clubman instead of Cooper). Here are some pics of my old one :).

1930775_86602305303_2037_n.jpg 1930775_86602310303_2251_n.jpg 1930775_86602315303_2496_n.jpg

Tim86, Barny and Propagate like this.
  16. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Nah... had to retire after getting married.... :p Started spending on houses.....

Oddly enough, I want to take the Maz 2 onto the island (complete with aforementioned Kmart tyres). It's got some oddball handling characteristic I want to test out at limit. There was a right corner I took a tad too fast, and fully expected the front to wash out (we are talking no ABS, no electronic anything here), but it was as if the whole left side dug in and it raised the rear RH wheel. :confused:

The Y-man

Barny likes this.
  17. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

Daily driver: 2014 BMW 428i Gran Coupe
    Decent car but not great; doesn't drive much better than a Holden Cruze. Being replaced later this year by the new Range Rover Velar.

[​IMG]

Fun car: 2016 Lotus Evora 400
    Mods:
    harness bar, 4-point harness, R-compound track tyres
    Sensational car that feels special even when you're just pootling around town. Goes to the track every 2 months or so, although I have 2 trackdays coming up this month. Costs about $200 a year to service. Can still fit me + wife + puppy + future child despite being mid-engined.

[​IMG]

Toon, Tim86, Phantom and 7 others like this.
  18. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Top speed 120 on the main straight? Lol

The Y-man likes this.
  19. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Do you take any extra wheels/tyres for the track?

20. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

Nope the track tyres (Dunlop Sport Maxx Race) are street-legal so I drive them to the track, do some laps, then drive home :) Although I am getting a second set of wheels for the OEM tyres so I do have a backup (which the Lotus dealer takes to the track for me in their support van for most events.)

The Y-man and Barny like this.