Cars & Motorbikes Let's talk cars...

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Barny, 8th May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

So silly to stop and add another hazard to an already growing collection of hazards...

2. Timmyd02

Timmyd02 Active Member

My daily work/play car... 2016 land cruiser 79 dual cab
    Great work car, tows 4tonne easily and can take a tonne of timber on the racks. I have it set up for work and touring. Allows us to literally go anywhere in the country and be pretty self sufficient. Expensive outlay but great tax deductions even though i could sell it for more than i paid for it:D. although it won't be getting sold. I bought it for the long term and will happily put a million kms on it and just keep maintaining it!

On another note, I also own a 1996 80 series land cruiser that has 400,000kms and runs like a dream. But will hopefully upgrading that to a nicer run around car soon. Golf R or S3 (until i can afford (justify) a C63)

IMG_2856.JPG

3. Timmyd02

Timmyd02 Active Member

Recent pic from long weekend up in Rubicon

65BE2DD6-1996-49FA-8F05-BC7F51EDCA00.jpeg

Tim86 likes this.
  4. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

New intercooler time. Qld summer with that tiny stock intercooler... no thanks.

Attached Files:

chylld likes this.
  5. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Nice rig.
    I’m tossing between one of these and a LC200.
    I like the Ute but they are very ‘truckish’ for the price. Especially compared to the 200 which is more like a car with excessive grunt for towing.

Blacky

6. jim1964

jim1964 1941

Barny likes this.
  7. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

8. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

So this was announced last Friday: 0-60mph (97kph) in 1.9seconds, 1000km range, US$200k

4671CE2400000578-5092047-image-a-3_1510925676950.jpg

Thought long and hard about joining the preorder list, then decided against it because:
    • Will Tesla survive until then? They are relying on these deposits for the cash needed to get Model 3 production up and running
    • Tesla new models have historically been 1.5-2 years late, so this car won't arrive until 2022
    • Will the car be able to do sustained laps of a racetrack without overheating? As a novice trackday enthusiast, I need at least 3 laps to warm myself up before I'm comfortable attacking each corner a bit harder. Will an electric car go into a reduced power mode by then?
    • AU$66k deposit to join the list... that's a lot of money to let Tesla hold onto without any interest or insurance against loss
    • Teslas have never held their value particularly well; they have historically depreciated just like most ordinary cars. Hypercars tend to command a price premium if well looked after (even used) but no one knows which way Roadster residuals will head

9. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

I have watched many youtube clips on the LC 200 SERIES. Very impressive vehicle!!

10. jim1964

jim1964 1941

One of Many Aussie Muscle Cars,this one is 1982, so not that long ago :) Charger wedding car.jpg

Barny and Blacky like this.
  11. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Yeah.
    The LC79 is also very impressive with the added benefit of being available in manual (200 is only available as an auto). It’s a very practical vehicle. However the 79 is very much a work horse and lacks many of the ‘luxury’ features we have all come to expect in a car.
    I have no doubt a 79 will still be around and going strong in 30-40 years. I’m not so convinced I can say the same about the 200 simply due to the electronic components.

All this is why it’s such a hard toss up.

Blacky

12. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Keep driving what you have till then. 2022 battery life and prices should improve, buy used if they ever make it.

Last edited: 22nd Nov, 2017
    chylld likes this.
  13. Rugrat

Rugrat Well-Known Member

You should check out the Patrol Y62. More perks as standard then the 200 series, massive beast with plenty of power and a much skinnier price tag.
    It does only come in petrol, which I know puts people off. But you can buy a lot of petrol for the 50k price difference. Plus you don't have to deal with the issues deisel engines often have.
    Ours is fully kitted out with the works (kaymar, auxillary tank, underbody armour, bullbar and side rails, etc, etc.) And is extremely heavy due to that (still waiting on the engineers to sign off on a gvm upgrade here in Australia). Which means our fuel consumption is a lot higher then average. And factory stock is a lot better. But we typically average somewhere between 22 - 25 around town (lots of hills, stop / starts, and idling). Get around 16 on the highway travelling interstate. And somewhere between 22 - 25 again when towing our 2.5 ton camper.

We also looked at the 200series LC when we were buy 2 years ago. It was my preference originally because I wanted diesel. But it was the room and comfort levels that swayed me more then anything else. So if you are looking at a LC just make sure you find a dealer that has a Y62 in stock that you can take for a test drive first. You might be surprised.

14. Rugrat

Rugrat Well-Known Member

15. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

16. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

What’s wrong with it?

You can book into a roadworthy centre pay the amount quoted and they will detail things that are required to pass. Or pay a mechanic to do an inspection for you. I just paid a mechanic for my new-old car.

17. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

You will need a Blue slip, like a pink slip but a little more involved. Depending on how modded it is, some things may not meet regulation but they will details exactly what needs to be done to meet the regs. I don't think it is particularly expensive, maybe a few hungie?

18. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

EPA testing as well? If it was a normal stock standard car, not an issue I'm thinking but it's had some work done to it. Will probably commence the process in the new year.

Going to be a good project to work on.

19. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

What's done to it? If it's just the usual CAI, CES, turbo upgrade and ECU remap it shouldn't be too much of an issue, if there is work to the internals it could be a bit more involved.

Was it registered with it's current mode previously? If so then it wouldn't be too much of an issue to blue slip I wouldn't have thought (but I am no mechanic so this is not advice, just general thoughts).

20. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

problem with tesla is your basically committing $250k (unless deposit is refundable) to a car that you get in 2020 earliest. at this price you have plenty of option and your not gonna get to see what other manufacturer do. selling your self short..

oh btw. if your thinking of track or anything like that.. tesla .... seriously. if they wanna be fast on track ie circuit and not a drag strip, they will be shouting numbers from a ring in germany. just so you know. formula E needs 2 car to finish a race.

also their specs are highly speculative. top speed is not about sheer power is lightweight + aero + power and then there is question of tyre which the power house of VW still cant figure out. the chiron hasnt reach its top speed yet because the tyre cant handle it...

wanna be fast on a track.. get a miata/brz clear them out and learn how to drive.. got $250k to blow.. get a cayman gt4....