Cars & Motorbikes Let's talk cars...

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Barny, 8th May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Thats interesting. Bummer they didnt give you what they said they would. But sounds consistent with life in general lol.

To be honest I probably wouldnt mind if they didnt go crazy with the tune. I dont want the thing to be breaking constantly.

Did you have any issues with your 2010 jcw? That would have been the infamous n14 motor wouldnt it. Did it give you much grief?

Mines the n18 and apparently it doesnt chug oil and have timing chain issues...

2. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Had a tiny oil leak but was an easy fix under warranty. Then trouble free for 2 years. My understanding was the 2009 models and under had the issues with the n14 engine. Recitified for 2010 which is why I didn't buy an earlier model. That's what I was told, but not 100% sure. Did you get it back yet, how is it?

3. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Thats good to hear it didnt give you any grief. They used those n18s up until last year in the jcw countrymans. So you would think they would have had to rectify the issues at some stage.

Nah havent got it back yet. I dropped it off at the tuner this morning and then they brought it over to the mechanic to fit the dump pipe. But even at 2pm they hadnt started work on it and the woman on the phone gave me a mouthfull for asking. I spoke to the tuner afterward and they said thats just the way she is to everyone...

The tuner needs it back by 4:30 to get it ready for the dms blokes in the uk to flash it overnight. Then I should get it back tomorrow.

But we shall see. I think the mechanic is going to stuff me around and delay things.

4. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Keep us posted, would be good to hear how it feels.

5. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

So the dog is in the tail of the wag?

Dan Donoghue and Westminster like this.
  6. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Getting tuned now. Only took 2.5hr to install the dump pipe so thats good.

Will pick up car tomorrow morning :D

Barny likes this.
  7. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

It never ceases to amaze me when companies employ people like this, it's bad for business. If I ran a business and any of my employees were like that with any customer (unless they knew the customer and it was just accepted by both parties as humour) they would be disciplined.

Tim86 likes this.
  8. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Yeah she was a major b word. Yelling at me for asking when they would be done. "Look its taking so long because the tuners took it back and then brought it back again. So talk to them about it sweetheart!" She yelled a fair few other similar things to me as well before wrapping up the call. There is already a google review from someone for them mentioning this woman lol.

When I had spoken to them they had had the car for 6hrs at that point and the tuners said they took it for 20 mins to start the tuning process because the mechanic was taking so long to get it back to them.

Anyway now Im waiting on the tuners still. Meant to be done this morning but they screwed up the file download from the uk and need to wait until the blokes in the uk wake up and re send it.

9. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Car is done. Will pick up at 830pm after my shift :D

10. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

The mini is even more fun now. You can definitely feel the power increase. And the dump pipe with high flow cat gives the exhaust a throatier sound. It pops and bangs even more now when the sport button is pressed in so I like that :) My wife is giving me lots of eye rolls and head shakes...

Roads are damp tonight so I didnt push it super hard. Car still feels well balanced. I can still keep traction if I want and Im not getting uncontrollable amounts of torque steer.

Cant wait to take it on some twisty mountain roads.

Barny likes this.
  11. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Stock is 7 seconds. That was I dont know... 6 seconds or something. Wasnt my best work. Had some tyre spin.

Its for the corners and not for straight line speed in any case.

Last edited: 7th Oct, 2017
  12. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

Yes - vinyl wrapped the Lotus. Was Black now gloss bright orange with black highlights. Love it. Saves a lot from stone chips too so I'd say go for it!

13. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

59D8A749-EC20-44DE-B2F3-98E8EF82996B.jpeg 83698A76-E08C-414B-909A-85681883CF92.jpeg Need a new rear windscreen.... damn baseball kids broke mine.

14. neK

neK Well-Known Member

That sucks!
    Hope it was kids playing baseball and it was an accident....
    Do the parents cover it in that case?

15. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Yep, was an accident.
    I was parked in a parking area in between the Athletics track and baseball field.
    Parked close to a very high fence for as much protection as possible, but the ball must have gone straight up and then down onto my rear windscreen.
    When I parked there I assessed the risk and had 2nd thoughts about moving it, but the risk was very low...
    Super glad my insurance policy had an inclusion of glass breakage as an excess free claim, and it can’t be claimed under a comprehensive policy if not included as far as I know.
    I was stressing for a while hoping it was listed on the policy as I usually don’t opt for add one.
    Would have been some ridiculous amount to fix if not insured.

Rugrat and neK like this.
  16. private_number

private_number Well-Known Member

Well, what do we have here. Didn't know PC had a car thread!

Over the last few months I acquired a current model Jeep SRT. Though I love the large spacious SUV, I do miss driving a zippy 2 door.

With that being said, as soon as I receive my tax return, it's time to replace the exhaust.

Tim86 and Tom Rivera like this.
  17. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

for a dedicated track car. personally, i would start at a mx5 or gt 86 (a lotus baby like elise or exige will be epic but expensive). personally i go with miata because its lighter, drive both and see what you like. both cheap enough to buy mod and maintain. depends how deep you wanna go. both are comfortable enough to drive to the track and back.

if u really like them ez to convert in to race cars and even join plenty of races under 2.0 categories. 86 even have their own dedicated racing series.

as you know at the tracks, power is only useful if you can put the power down. with a supercharger kit. at $40k you have 200 + bhp at the wheels with a tad over 1000kg with supporting mods.. 86 is around 150kg heavier.

if your more hard core. maybe a lotus 7 kit car ?? hard to sell tho.

sigh.. if only i have 1 more parking space.

18. neK

neK Well-Known Member

19. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

20. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

i would not stop for sure.