Cars & Motorbikes Let's talk cars... 2022

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Serveman, 1st Jan, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

Haha. Too funny. We have to get in a drive day before I move anything. Only considering it because in the current market I could probably flip the lambo for exactly what it cost me 2 years ago. I mean its pretty much brand new with only 2000km on the clock.

Then after we settle down in the new location I can pick up a new toy. Funny thing is the Lambo came from Lamborghini Brisbane. It would be returning home.

2. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

Yes the market is madness! Some of the EVOs on market are 20% above list price. Curious as to why you bought it from Brisbane instead of Sydney?

We should get a drive day into the calendar. Maybe head down your part of the world!

Big A likes this.
  3. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

When I started looking at the Performante, they were at the end of the production run. They were released as a limited period production.

I went and had a look at a near new one that was at Ferrari North Shore. Stunning car with only a few thou kms. But it had the full carbon race seats. Those things should be a torture tool and not a seat. I then found another one at Ferrari Brisbane. Fully optioned and a great spec with only 800km on the clock. Also had the torture seats. It was pretty much brand new and they got it on a trade. They had it at a sharp price for the spec. I thought for the right price I could do something about the seats.

I then went into Lambroghini Sydney. They had a few options but not the colour I was after, being the black. At this point you couldn't custom spec up a new one. It was either what they had in stock or what was already locked in for production. I also contacted Brisbane Lamborghini and said they had an option to get me a new one in the black that was one of the last few still in production. At this point I was leaning towards the one at Ferrari Brisbane as I could get it for a $60k discount to new and it only had 800km and was the current year model.

Placed a deposit over the phone pending inspection and booked a flight to brissie to go have a look. In the mean time my friend at the Sydney dealership was on the phone trying every trick in the book to get me to buy from her. Coincidently she mentions that the car in brisbane was purchased from them earlier in the year. Then she also gives me a subtle warning. She says " Be careful when buying these sort of cars on the second hand market, people tend to modify them." I thought what a strange comment to make. The car was at a ferrari dealership and only a few months old with 800km on it.

At this point im flying over the next day to finalise the deal. I decided to call the dealership and ask the question. Has this car been modified in any way or shape? The salesman hums and hars and tells me I dont think so but I will check for you. Calls me back a few minutes later and tells me that it had been lowered but has been put back to standard height. Alarm bells started ringing. I'm well aware that once you have messed with car like that, it could raise warranty issues. Mr salesman assures me that it has no warranty consequences and will even speak to Lamborghini to assure me.

Mr salesman then calls me back and tells me that actually it has not been returned to factory setting and is still lowered but they will fix it back to factory set up for me. By this point I am super annoyed and already booked to fly over the next morning. So fly over I did. Nice of them to collect me from the airport and take me to the dealership I look at the car and take it for a drive. Beautiful car and still as new. While being lowered looked fantastic its not like Lamborghinis need to sit any lower. We sit at the negotiating table and I say look, unless you can get me in writing from Lamborghini that they will honor any and all warranty claims with relation to the suspension having had been modified then we are done negotiating. Of course he was unable to provide me such thing, so off I went.

Since I was already here and had a few hours till my flight back I went down the road to Lamborghini Brisbane. Sat with Mr Salesman and said look, you told me on the phone you have one in production that was assigned to a customer that has pulled out. He pulled up the specs and it was exactly what I was after. Colour, seat option and wheels combination. Only thing was the center cap on the wheel was red, which he said he can change that for me to all black.

I put on my negotiating hat and said I am still considering the one down the road or even one in Sydney. I dont expect you to match the price on the used one even though it only had 800km on it, but if you can meet me half way then we can do a deal. Met me half way he did. Car was still in production so had to wait a few months for arrival. They got the car and shipped it to the Sydney dealership and that where I picked it up from.
    Sydney dealership was dirty that I bought from Brisbane and not them , but unfortunately they couldn't deliver what I wanted.

Wow that's a long story. Hopefully I didn't send anyone to sleep. Lol.

But yes super keen on a drive day / catch up.

Last edited: 10th Jan, 2022
    Observer, Westminster, craigc and 3 others like this.
  4. Morgs

Wow, that is quite the story! Glad it worked out for you in a roundabout way. I could imagine your friend at Sydney (Yvonne?) wouldn't have been thrilled to miss out on the sale. Interesting they couldn't have got the cancelled allocation as I would have thought it'd be the same pool of available cars. Granted I don't really know how they work there, I have heard variances on delivery ETA Sydney vs. Melbourne recently for example!

Big A likes this.
  5. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

Haha yes good old Yvonne. She delivered the car to me begrudgingly. She doesn’t like me. That was the second time she missed out on selling me a car. First time was when the huracan was first released and I almost signed up for one but ended up picking up a 458 from the guys at Waterloo. She badgered me for days and I had to tell her to back off and staff calling and messaging me.
    She is lovely, but a full on sales person.

JCD and Morgs like this.
  6. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

Generally speaking how it works in the background:
    Depends if the dealership is willing to release the cancelled car/allocation back to factory/distributor stock or ‘dealer swap’ with the other dealer.
    If it is an in demand car and confident they’ll sell it and make good money - they’ll keep it and sell to another customer (as in example above).

Morgs likes this.
  7. Morgs

I'm not sure if she likes us either if that counts for anything :)

@craigc makes sense, I know that you need to leave a sizeable non-refundable deposit with these sort of cars too so little wonder @Big A was able to get a good deal!

Big A and craigc like this.
  8. alexm

alexm Well-Known Member

@Big A , congratulations on the purchase. They're a fantastic car!
    A friend supercharged his Performante and wow, what a weapon for a street car!

Big A likes this.
  9. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

Thank you Sir. I have had it for 2 years. Still feels like I just got it though, since I barely drive it. :D

alexm likes this.
  10. Morgs

For those playing at home we had another drive day last Sunday. Good mix of cars and a great drive down south to Scarborough hotel (thanks Big A for arranging a table) to chat about cars and investing.

Will arrange another one in a month or so I reckon. Anyone keen to come along just shout out!

Photo from our initial meet point...

meet.JPG

craigc, Lindsay_W and Westminster like this.
  11. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

You forgot about the Bird stories we shared. :p

Morgs likes this.
  12. Car tart

Car tart Well-Known Member

Speaking of high end motor vehicles, I just added the green one to my fleet. 1983B94E-F2E4-45B4-8B61-BC816BD828C8.jpeg

craigc, Baker and Lindsay_W like this.
  13. Observer

Observer Well-Known Member

Looks gorgeous, never seen it before. If I’m not mistaken that’s Aston Martin DB11. Eye watering price tag (from $375,000) but looks fantastic. I can imagine myself driving it… one day :D

Attached Files:

inertia likes this.
  14. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Tell me it's name is Kermit. Please!!!!

Car tart likes this.
  15. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

Of all the amazing cars I saw when I lived in the dodgy end of Notting Hill, the Aston Martins were definitely my favourite. Would definitely get one if I was able.

Observer likes this.
  16. Car tart

Car tart Well-Known Member

1366126A-1998-449D-8C15-CE5AFCA54BCF.jpeg
    Yes

Last edited by a moderator: 6th Feb, 2022
    Lindsay_W, inertia and Westminster like this.
  17. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Can anyone in Sydney recommend a good mecedes dealership? Or a contact who goes the extra mile to get you the best deal?

I'm going car shopping this morning.

Thanks.

Big A likes this.
  18. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

Tynan Miranda for customer service is the best I have dealt with. I have a contact there Sal. He sells the AMG brand but should be able to assist on any model your interested in. Price wise Mercedes have gone to a fixed price model. The dealer no longer can set or negotiate new car prices. It’s set by head office.
    If Sal not in ask for Rob. He is the sales manager.

Last edited: 13th May, 2022
    Sackie likes this.
  19. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Gold information! Thank you! I will call them and let you know how it goes.

Just test driving a few now. Crappy weather though..

Big A likes this.
  20. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

Yeah not the best weather. Depends on what your looking for but I like the look of the new CLA. Considering all the merc classes now almost look the same the CLA is priced well and looks the best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.