Cars & Motorbikes Let's talk cars... 2021

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by dunno, 9th Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clean Cookie

Clean Cookie Well-Known Member

Accurate!

2. LIDM

LIDM Well-Known Member

Japanese classic lover here.
    Rocky Auto did a Supra based 2000GT replica - pretty great!
    Is Rocky Auto's 3000GT the best replica in the world?

The Y-man and Serveman like this.
  3. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

Yep I'm building a mk5 Supra as a daily-able time attack car, entering both Aus Time Attack and World Time Attack Challenge this year. All Porsches (except 944) are not allowed in the Clubsprint class. Even if they were, the aftermarket for them is quite limited, especially compared to that of the Supra.

The Supra is hugely fast at the moment (much faster than my heavily modified Lotus Exige) but still a ways off the times it will need to win this year (1:36 SMP, 1:01 Wakefield)

The only McLaren I've driven on track is the 600LT, but on the street I've driven the 12C, 650S and 570S. They are great cars when they work. On the street they are massively laggy... your foot will be holding the gas pedal to the floor for what seems like an eternity before you feel the shove, but oh boy what a shove :eek:

Haven't driven a 488 yet, my current plan is to try for a GT3 allocation, but failing that I'll try for an F8.

4. 2645

2645 Active Member

man, a 992 GT3 would be sweet. If you’ve never had a Porsche before do you think there is any realistic chance you’ll get an allocation? I guess easy enough to buy one second hand soon either way. Would be so much more of an experience behind the wheel than an F8 on the road where you can’t go much over 100 etc.., though obviously less flashy.

I think you’re idea is the best a highly modded track car so you don’t risk binning the really expensive metal. Last track day I did with Porsche club some dude totalled his GT3 plus you can set it up exactly for track and not have to worry about race seats, funny camber etc on your daily!

chylld likes this.
  5. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

Can confirm the 488 / F8s don't have the lag of the Mclarens... not that the Mclaren models really have anything that resembles lag if you've come from the old world of big single turbo GTRs ;)

chylld likes this.
  6. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

I've just ordered a Taycan 4S Cross Turismo to replace my Tesla Model 3 SR+ as my daily... that will help a bit, and I might also order a Macan for my parents as their car is starting to show its age. Probably won't be enough even then; in the UK you need to have >£400k in spending history with a single dealer to have a chance.

Yes you can buy them second-hand, but if you don't want to pay over list price, you're buying them on the way down. Buying them new basically means you get to enjoy it for 2 years for free, upgrade to the next one and enjoy that one for free, etc.

GT3s are quite tricky to handle on track; trail brake a bit too hard and woopsie daisie. I used to track a >$200k Lotus Evora and never felt comfortable pushing it to 10/10ths, whereas the Supra is much more wallet-friendly.

7. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

Hey @Car tart - is it the last Focus RS?

Must admit I have one (Ltd edition) as a daily driver and although a little limited comforts inside, it’s an absolute hoot.
    Love the loud noise and great heel/toe placement from a factory standard car.

8. Car tart

Car tart Well-Known Member

Yes the last focus RS is a ripper car.

craigc likes this.
  9. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Ugh, my car's (SUV) giving me a bit of trouble. It MAY/MAY NOT be serious but the assumption from my mechanic who wants to take a 2nd look next week (couldn't diagnose today) is that he needs to pull apart the top of the car to inspect the timing belt etc...which was only done 30,000K's ago:mad:. At least a few hundred bucks for labour with no promise he'll find the problem.

So the thought process in my head wrt cars these days is don't spend too much, it just gets you from A to B, a cheap 2nd hand car that doesn't look embarrassing will do the job etc (that said, I used to drive a Merc convertible when self-image/ego was important).

How do you guys justify how much to spend - % of net worth or net income?

% of net worth would probably justify a very expensive vehicle north of $100-200K but the TA in me says fuhgeddaboudit.

Car tart likes this.
  10. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

My justification for buying my RAV4 Hybrid is that there's no other car I'd rather have regardless of price.

11. Car tart

I’m with you 200%. My SUV is a 2004 Ford Explorer LTD V8 fitted with the Mustang 4,6 engine. I buy one every year or so ( about $3k) with leather they tow 3.5 tonnes sound like a worked mustang and are cheap to maintain. After I do about 30-40,000 kms I sell them for the same price that I buy them and get the next one. I use them to tow race cars, pull out trees, posts, stumps, race other V8s when the race cars on the blink and generally terrorise the local neighbourhood. My staff know I own a few decent cars and find it funny that I park this magnificent beast next to their much revered Rangers, Hiluxes, Tritons, SQ5, Macan etc etc but it can eat them all on and off the road except for rock hopping. So my theory is, unless you are beyond your wealthiest amount you imagined, Live in the cheapest house and drive the cheapest car your ego will allow!

Attached Files:

Empire and Lacrim like this.
  12. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Do you just hot up the engine or do you do the bodywork too etc eg resprays

13. Car tart

I don’t do any work nor spend money on the Explorer but I do my own oil changes. I’m so tight with this POS. The Explorer LTD has a great twin exhaust and sounds better than a Mustang. I get the latest new mustang as a courtesy car when I drop the Focus RS in for a service. But I wouldn’t buy a Mustang, not as fast, nor do they handle as well as the RS Focus. Plus the Mustang rear leg room is on par with that of a Porsche. It’s a miracle such a large car can be so small on the inside. The Explorer, the Stinger GT and the Barbie Bus ring up the most kms each year. About 20+k each

Lacrim likes this.
  14. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

I justify it by looking at it via the lens of how much it means to me rather than a %.

I don’t have many indulgences in life. Cars are it for me. I have loved cars since the first time I drove one. I have used cars as my motivation to work hard. Driving a great car is something that brings me joy and puts a smile on my face. I enjoy driving. I enjoy driving great drivers cars. That doesn’t always mean expensive cars. Some of the great cars I have enjoyed driving have not been the most expensive. Like I said in earlier posts I loved my old 88 twin cam Corolla. There was a Mitsubishi FTO that I loved driving. The old sss pulsars with the sr20 engine. Had the S14 and S15 200sx.

Since I have now also become an investing addict these two hobbies clash. A few years back when I was at a dealership standing in front of a dream car thinking I really shouldn’t buy this car and use the money for another investment property. The sales guy said this to me. You own multiple investment properties, if you buy one more will you stand in front of this investment property and will you be as happy and have a smile on your face as you are and have standing in front of this car.
    I thought about that question and said probably not. Sure another IP would be great but getting behind the wheel of this car was like a dream come true.

I am all for accumulating all the money in the world. But if you aren’t going to use some of it to enjoy life with whatever that is that brings you joy, then what is the purpose of all all money in the world.
    I think we need to be careful in not getting so caught up accumulating wealth that we forget why we are accumulating that wealth.

Mel Morgan, The Y-man, craigc and 5 others like this.
  15. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Yeah that's me

craigc, Tom Rivera and Big A like this.
  16. Car tart

Investing 101: Have a clear plan!
    Part of your plan should be what you consider to be your end strategy. Or next stage.
    My end strategy was to have the fully paid off Dream house on 5 acres in Sydney, $x million in net assets, $y income from the business under management. So I bought my first “dream car” at 40 in the year 2000, a new WRX. I also planned the next 10 years (stage 2) where I set bigger targets and better cars and OS holidays.
    So I think the expenditure on really nice things should be part of your business and wealth plan. It should be factored into the reward for your success.

Lacrim and Big A like this.
  17. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

How funny. That was the same year and one of my first dream cars. It was a terrible financial decision. I kept it for only 1 year, spent something like $15k on it. Exhaust system, bigger rims big doof doof stereo system. Then when I sold it I was still a few thousand short on paying off the finance I took out to buy it.

I was young and dumb. But at the time nothing beat the feeling of driving out of the dealership in a brand new WRX.

In my early years I made some really stupid financial decisions involving cars. Come to think
    of it I’m still making stupid financial decisions with cars. :p Only difference is I can now afford it.

craigc and Car tart like this.
  18. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

Too true. If it was always about the numbers you'd never end up doing anything discretionary!

Lacrim and Big A like this.
  19. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

Agree @Car tart - swapped the Focus RS with a auto Mustang for a week with a work colleague. At the end we both agreed Mustang looks good but everything else we both wanted the keys to the Focus RS - faster, it handles, manual box, sounds great and more fun.

After your thoughts - I’ve got to pick new wheels for company car. I’d love a manual but limited choices these days. Needs to be new/demo and approx 60k limit excl on-roads.

I’ve never really been a Subie fan but maybe the STI might be it - how’d you enjoy your experience living with it? I realise in run-out but timing likely won’t get me to the new models.
    Otherwise it’s probably the Focus ST (fwd only) or even a Civic Type R but I still struggle with the
    looks.
    Maybe a i30N Sportback (manual) as have heard good things but concerned it may be a bit pedestrian to drive ( trying not to sound like a car snob here).

If I give in and settle for an auto :(, the S3 sedan or maybe Stinger GT are options. How is the stinger to live with?
    I test drove a stinger 2.5 years ago at time of Focus RS and thought it was nice and sensible with lots of features, but then I drove the RS. :D
    I note it now has bi-modal exhaust factory std which was an early criticism.

Would appreciate your thoughts as I enjoy driving and love something with a bit of go and interaction.

Anyone else with other suggestions to consider would be appreciated!

I know - this could be in the first world problems
    thread!

Thanks all

20. Car tart

In that price a Subaru sti or if you need more luxury my wife has the Kia Stinger GT which is a brilliant luxury tourer, which I enjoy driving and sitting in. We do the Sydney to Melbourne trip effortlessly on a regular basis. It is more engaging and spacious than the Mustang. Both are well made vehicles that are great to own and drive. The Kia is a large car though.
    Mrs Car Tarts “fun car” is a 2 door 6 speed turbo Mini Cooper S which is a barrel of fun which is less boy racer than an STi.

craigc likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.