Cars & Motorbikes Let's talk cars... 2021

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by dunno, 9th Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

simple prestige motorsport (one of Australia's largest brokers) is not accepting orders on certain models (R32/33/34 skylines etc due to Japanese prices being higher). If you want go check out his site (pretty interesting as you can see sold prices of last 3 months - unfortunately USS do not publish anymore)

Your right they were profitable in the 2000s, 2010s they started coming down due to the flood in the market. Local prices for base 90s rwd turbo manuals were starting around 5k (I picked up a few r33s gtst for <5k). Towards the end of the 2010s a lot of these cars were legal to be exported to USA (>25yr fed rule). This has put a massive increase in prices though most people go to Japan>AUS/UK/NZ as there are setup auction houses and brokers with years of reputations. There are a few cars being exported from Australia too but regulation here is non existent and our country has scammers so one bad apple (recently with a Supra) and the whole country gets a bad rep.

If anyone think covid made 90s jap cars prices did their the same kinda people that think investing in real estate is bad (though covid may have been the icing on the cake). 25 year old fed rule in USA is whats driving prices.

I still remember the scene from Fast and Furious with the Supra and the Ferrari drag racing. Not sure where the prices are with Ferraris but im pretty sure the Supra retails for more now haha

2. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

It was a Ferrari 355 Spider. The cheapest one on carsales is currently $257k ;)

Lindsay_W likes this.
  3. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Never hear of prestige auto - always used japanese auction sites to get an idea of actual prices paid in Japan.
    So can you give an example of model and make where they sold for more than what they sell for here??

Not sure what you mean, but the market was moving before covid that's for sure.

Nah, Ferrari f355's (the one in that scene) go for much more than a supra, for good reason. Their prices have been climbing steadily

4. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

The USA 25 year rule does not explain why R32s have gone gangbusters in the latest 12 months. These have been >25 years for some time.

If you plotted HSV pricing along the same time scale I suspect you'll see a similar growth trajectory in pricing. I suspect the yanks are not the ones buying these up ;)

Lindsay_W likes this.
  5. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

These have gone up so much :eek: I remember checking one out when it was $120k but decided against it as they cost $10-20k a year to run.

:(

6. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

Just mentioned r32/33/34 gtst
    r33 gtst for example are going for >1 mil while in aus can still be picked up <15k aud (might be the same but by the time you import/pay taxes/ compliance its still cheaper).

Supras were also cheaper in Australia (though that times coming up). There was a young guy (prominent in the scene) who made a killing exporting quiet a few to USA though I think times coming up with local prices being quiet high.

Definitely agree not only yanks. I know a few Aussies that have bought from Jap auctions (def top of the market but extremely low k clean examples).

There is also the flow on effect. I got into Subarus last year and saw how prices rose. Not that theres a shortage of them but when other limited supplied vehicles start going up the alternatives also benefit.

Theres still a lot of imports coming in from Japan specially with the reform in laws. Lot of new cars able to be imported that were not previously and the system being a lot more streamlined. Also remember a lot of examples in Australia are in poor condition (specially ones that were low valued and thrashed - sorry I might have contributed towards that)

Funny thing is lot of 2000s euros aren't really seeing price increases. I also have a e90 335i which is amazing compared to some of the 90s jap turbos (easy to work on, actually a lot more aftermarket support out their) and to be honest cheap as chips (auto boxes which are better than manual but I do agree I prefer the old school manuals)

Lindsay_W likes this.
  7. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
  8. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Property Manager Business Member

Needed a new hobby so halfway through last year got my licence and added a bike to my stable. It's really fun, and compared to cars, extremely cheap! :)

[​IMG]

Baker, Lindsay_W, Big A and 4 others like this.
  9. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

motorcycle is different kind of breed,

nothing beats a motorcycle, maybe flying is only exception ?

Michael Mitchell and paulF like this.
  10. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Just did a good few days trip last week around Mansfield/Whitfield area and a friend of mine was riding one of those.Good looking bike and they go alright too especially on the twisties.

Enjoy and most importantly, always ride with FULL gear on even if it's a short trip

Drifty, Bunbury and Michael Mitchell like this.
  11. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Modern day flying is actually pretty boring and tedious - unless you got a home made plane or you are hang gliding or something like that.

People are often pretty surprised you can't just take a "plane for a spin" - you have to submit flight plans, you can't just decide to change your route because you feel like it, and you can't just "start and go" like a modern car, because if a plane conks out, you are in a bit more trouble than a car breaking down on the side of the road.

The Y-man

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  12. KinG3o0o

hahahah thats true, i never think of that, well in that case, not much else is it .

13. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Property Manager Business Member

The bug has bit, ironically I also just recently jumped out of a plane haha

upload_2021-4-1_2-16-28.png

upload_2021-4-1_2-16-50.png

upload_2021-4-1_2-17-19.png

14. KinG3o0o

so the next thing is to stick wings to your bike, or motocycle engine to your plane ?

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  15. Clean Cookie

Clean Cookie Well-Known Member

FB_IMG_1583837139265.jpg

Just saw this thread and finally, one I relate to. Photo is old, been on the garage floor being upgraded for 6 years whilst going up in value. Started off fairly stock as a limited edition (100ish in this colour) 1600cc Naturally Aspirated and now has a slightly more aggressive 2150cc turbo power plant with around 500whp at 9000rpm, car with me and fuel is 1090kg so once it's up to 100km/hr it can pretty much obliterate most cars in a straight line. Not bad for a DIY/home built road registered go kart.

I've always dreamt of an orange Lotus exciege with obnoxious wing and splitter but never had the funds.

Wife owns a classic Mini which has also increased in value so we're doing alright for fun weekend drives

16. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Michael Mitchell and Drifty like this.
  17. Drifty

Drifty Well-Known Member

Wait till you start getting knee-down - I don't think there is much more exciting than that.

Sold my GSXR1000 when I moved overseas years ago but loved that thing. Will have to dig up some pics..

18. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

Drove my Model 3 over to Porsche this morning to test drive the Taycan, and wow. No contest.

First impression was: NORMAL DOOR HANDLES!!! After spending more than a year with the Model 3's funky push-pull handles, you do get used to them... but they are nowhere near as nice as the Taycan's normal handles which fold flush against the car when locked/driving.

Second impression: A DASH!! Again, another omission I got used to with the Model 3, but it's so nice to have that info right there once again.

My Model 3 SR+ is better in some areas:
    • softer seats
    • more rear seat legroom
    But the Taycan 4S absolutely spanks it everywhere else:
    • steering feels much more natural/progressive
    • NVH suppression is a class above
    • the adaptive cruise control is much smoother
    • regen braking has an "auto" mode that is traffic-aware
    • surround view parking assistance (why Tesla doesn't have this is a mystery)
    • the electric sport sound is strangely but immensely satisfying
    • the indicator stalk isn't 3 times stiffer than you'd expect
    • doors close easily and consistently (my Model 3 rear right door needs to be slammed)
    • much more expansive panoramic roof
    • so many options...
    I've now ordered a Taycan Cross Turismo in cherry metallic :p (same colour as this normal Taycan)
    ss (2021-04-13 at 01.18.24).jpg

Morgs, Car tart, Tom Rivera and 6 others like this.
  19. Drifty

Drifty Well-Known Member

Ok have a few pics from the glory days.. :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

Baker, K1200, Empire and 3 others like this.
  20. Drifty

Drifty Well-Known Member

Hell yes!
    Big fan of the Taycan - great choice! Very keen to take one for a spin.

(you also neglected to mention the Taycan is 3-4 times the price of the Model 3.. lol)

chylld likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.