Cars & Motorbikes Let's talk cars... 2021

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by dunno, 9th Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shawn

Shawn Well-Known Member

I am a big fan of JDM cars.

I think your Nissan's, Mitsubishi's, Toyota's and Mazda of the 90s era are going to fly.
    • Nissan Silvia
    • Nissan Skyline (R32, R33, R34)
    • Toyota Supra
    • Toyota Aristo (2JZ GTE)
    • Nissan Stagea
    • Mazda RX7
    • Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution, 7,8,9.

These cars should mostly all crack the $100K mark in the next 10 years as they become classics.

gman65 and Serveman like this.
  2. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Some cool cars there, I would love a good RX2
    I reckon your best bet is auction site like Shannons, seem to be getting some really good prices, even LLoyd's Classic/Muscle car Auction seems to get some really good prices for old Holden's and Ford's

Silverson likes this.
  3. Silverson

Silverson Well-Known Member

32 GTRs are already fetching over 100k, to think I sold one for 9k 10 years ago…. Crystal ball was faulty!

4. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

I'm sure there would be some members on here that would have experience with this....

I've been on the market for a replacement car since before covid, and it is not getting any easier. Now there are lockdowns I can't even whip down the highway and look at cars in Sydney, so I have been considering some options.
    - MTA car inspection is about $500
    - Car transport by PrixCar is also about $500 sydney to newcastle

Has anyone used any car inspection services, and/or car transport services? If so, any thoughts or comments?

Also, how would one pay for a car in this situation? (and possibly as important - not sound like a scammer?) One thought I had would be to have a bank account in the same bank as the vendor (assuming you dont already), move the funds into your bank account at that bank, car transport service goes to pick up vehicle, calls you onsite to give the green light, you transfer funds, vendor confirms and the car transporter takes possession of the vehicle...
    Would that work? Is there a better way?

Cheers,
    Inertia.

5. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

I've sold at least half a dozen cars over the years which were shipped to various other cities around the country. In all of these instances I'd had the buyer provide me full payment prior to shipment and where they were being bought sight unseen (no inspection) they'd used various different inspection companies (from NRMA to other smaller niche experts).

The shipping method would depend on the company they were using; some require you to deliver the car to a depot, some of them were door to door services where either transport collected it or someone picked it up to take it to a depot for further shipping (which didn't fuss me as it'd been paid for and effectively not longer my ownership).

That said, I'm not actually sure I'd have been comfortable to do the same thing as a buyer... everything I've purchased I have done the deal face to face!

6. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Getting my Nissan Silvia back on the road. Booked to get a blue slip and get it re-registered.

It's been in storage for a number of years, so finally good to drive it again but now I am older so maybe I may think the car is uncomfortable and loud :)

Big A, Clean Cookie and Morgs like this.
  7. Drifty

Drifty Well-Known Member

Got our hands on a beautiful XC60 last week. Absolutely love it (new plates should arrive tomorrow).
    Had to get a shot with my Z as well :)

Attached Files:

Morgs and Big A like this.
  8. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

Update: After tossing around a few options per posts above, settled on ordering a new manual Subaru STI premium sedan. Going to be a long wait (Aug 2022 delivery date).

Based on launch pics of the WRX, happy I went with the dark blue colour as not a fan of the black plastic against the light colours.

Current car isn’t doing any k’s in Melbourne lockdowns at the moment or foreseeable future anyway.

Just have to wait and see what it looks like when released over the coming weeks. Hopefully a bit better and more exciting than the WRX.

Empire, The Y-man and Drifty like this.
  9. Truly Exotic

Truly Exotic Well-Known Member

geez 11 month wait,
    I certainly would not be willing to wait

10. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

Very happy with the current car and being in Melbourne - you can’t go anywhere at the moment anyway!

The Y-man and Big A like this.
  11. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

Long waits for new cars is the new norm now. Have you seen the insane price rises for cars now. New and used car prices are going through the roof. Mercedes have jacked up the price of their top end AMGs by $20k-$30k. :eek:

12. Truly Exotic

I've seen but thankfully I'm not in the market to buy or sell.
    To me it's nuts, that someone is willing to pay that much extra. I understand the second hand corolla market around 10k because the average person needs a car but still..... I thought half the country is in lockdown,
    But what would I know!

Big A likes this.
  13. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

Look, I love my cars and am one of those nutters paying silly prices for cars out of wants rather than needs but even I am finding some this price gouging hard to swallow.

Not that long ago I got priced $230k for a brand new GLE63s with bells and whistles. I reached out to the dealer last week and said I know prices have moved up some what but can you get still get me into a GLE 63s for $230k, even if its a demo? He said no chance and its more like $250k for a demo now. I am in the Jaguar F pace SVR and its coming to 2 years old. Not that there is anything wrong with it. Its a great car and the 5L super charged 8 sounds amazing but I am bored and really like the interior of the GLE. Not really keen on putting in $120k for a changeover.

I am holding on to the last of the petrol engine V8 dream. Soon enough we will have to bite the bullet and go electric. The performance numbers on the upcoming Model X plaid are super impressive.

Its a sad end of era for us petrol loving dinosaurs. :(

craigc, The Y-man and Drifty like this.
  14. sauber

sauber Well-Known Member

v8 petrol only way to go!!!! love the work mate v8 landcruiser 79 series just the sound ahhhhh :D

Big A likes this.
  15. Lindsay_W

Speaking of V8's
    Had a decent gathering up here with the Lancia Club of Queensland, an all Italian car meetup.
    There were quite a few cars you don't see very often however this one stood out to me (apart from all the Lancia's of course)
    upload_2021-9-23_11-38-3.jpeg

upload_2021-9-23_11-39-7.jpeg
    upload_2021-9-23_11-39-25.jpeg

Clean Cookie, craigc, Morgs and 2 others like this.
  16. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I see it's been modified to run on sugar based alcohol......

The Y-man

Lindsay_W likes this.
  17. Truly Exotic

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

here is my recently acquired baby

18. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Time to update on my awesome......Mazda 2 :D

So we had plans to say good bye to it last year, but with lockdowns and WFH, we really weren't using a car much.... so rather than have something depreciating in the garage, we just kept it....

I say "awesome" because I never thought this car was 1. going to last as long as it has and 2. cover this many km's without any serious issues (as has been the case with some high km cars I have had in the past).

Having driven/owned a mixed bag of cars over the years from
    Toyota
    Holden
    Isuzu
    Nissan
    BMW
    Land Rover
    Mitsubishi
    Ford
    Daihatsu
    Suzuki...
    we had no idea what a Mazda would do.... (all I knew about them was rotaries at the track)

Anyway, into our hands came the 2006 DY Mazda 2 (Series 2) for a massive $19,990 (on the road).

A few things for the car fanatics - this thing was sort of a Mazda-Ford global project (the Fusion/Fiesta being the twin) mixed bits and pieces - so the blue oval symbol is visible on the rear shockers!

Ok, so 247,000km and 15 years (we got it in Oct 2006) later, it has only gone through 6 tyres (that's six total - not six sets), one engine mount and 4 driver's side headlight globes (which it seems to blow regularly). It didn't even make it for the Takata airbag recall ... because it predates the faulty ones!

Someone mentioned in an earlier post I made about my car that the ZY-VE engine in this descended from the first MX-5's (albeit in a detuned form).

Earlier this year, at its 240,000km service (the service book is hilarious - it ran out of pages to stamp at 200,000km so the service people have been stamping the rear cover!) they put some fancy 0w-30 oil in there - which the car drank extremely rapidly (like in a matter of a month) to the point the oil warning light came on o_O

Rather alarmed and thinking this was it for the poor machine, I dumped some cheap 20w-50 Valvoline that was on half price special at Woolworths (as you do at 10pm when the oil warning light comes on) in there along with a bottle of Nulon worn engine treatment.

Well blow me down - it's been fine since :D

There is a bit of tappet noise on cold start, but that's been happening for ages. There's also a fair bit of clatter lately from pre-detonation of fuel - probably from half the cylinder being made up of carbon deposits. Now that the oil is not disappearing, we've just been running it on 98 octane - and the other half reports it's been smooth running, so hopefully it cleans things up in there.

...and no it doesn't have an easy life! Especially after I take to a tree at one of our IP's with a chainsaw...

WP_20170206_17_20_10_Pro.jpg

Actually, that is only half full compared to a more recent clean out in March this year, where the material was hard up against the roof liner....

So there you have it - I am still figuring out what to replace it with... o_O

The Y-man

inertia, Morgs, Truly Exotic and 2 others like this.
  19. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

Well done. That is great value from the little Mazda. If you pick yourself up another Japanese car now ( cant go wrong with a Toyota or Mazda ) that should get you through to the end of the petrol engine life. By then electric will be the new norm and they will be much more reasonably priced than the current electric offerings.

inertia and craigc like this.
  20. Lindsay_W

Sounds like a keeper to me!
    Although the newer cars have so much more tech/features inside them now

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.