Cars & Motorbikes Let's talk about car prices for 2022

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Traveller99, 4th Jan, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Traveller99

Traveller99 Well-Known Member

As per the title, I need to buy a car or cars mid this year, and I'm seeing some incredibly ordinary and expensive used cars for sale!

If I'm right in my reading, prices are up around 35% from pre-pandemic levels and likely to hold around these levels for at least another six months.

What are people seeing on the ground? Any particular brand/model of car that has stayed low or is this across the board? I ask as I am outside of the country.

2. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Prepandemic I was eyeing off a 2016 VF commodore Black Edition for just over 20K with 60 thousand km on the clock.

Now looking at 30K for same.

Serveman likes this.
  3. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

It is unreal. For all my adult life received wisdom has been that a new car loses 30% of its value as soon as you drive it out of the showroom. It hasn't stopped me buying new. Now I could sell my 2½ year old RAV4 hybrid for what I paid for it.

Empire, Cousinit, Toon and 4 others like this.
  4. Traveller99

It's insane to look at some prices!

I'm selling my car that I drive here in Singapore and it's only depreciated by 3% a year when normally it's down by 10%!

5. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

I occasionally (completely obsessed) keep an eye on carsales for a bunch of different cars.

I'd expect until something substantial changes across the market we're going to see the status quo where prices remain high. Production issues still plague a tonne of different models and there are ongoing logistics challenges impacting supply. Economy/liquidity still strong so demand is good.

For some makes in the luxury/exotic market since Xmas things have been completely YOLO a level above what was already a high level of demand, with a number of vehicles moving since then. There is quite a spread on the price of these sort of cars landed brand new vs. what is selling on the market here.

Traveller99 likes this.
  6. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

The second hand market is such poor value at the moment. I have a 2017 Ford Ranger and it's worth only a little less than what I bought it for. I am seriously tempted to sell it and just wait for the new one even if it means waiting 6mths.

Stoffo likes this.
  7. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Mine's a 2019 Wildtrak with 25k on it, if it wasn't a fully depreciated company vehicle it'd be gone also ;)

Older Aussie built Ford/Holden prices are now crazy :confused:
    Yet things like my hotrod just haven't jumped in price :(

Attached Files:

8. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Mine might be worth a smidge less now after I was loading MDF into the back yesterday and swung the sheet a little vigorously and hit the corner of the board into the tail light. Grrrr

I'm surprised hotrods haven't jumped. Surely that would be the ultimate fun car to spend the non-holiday money on.

Stoffo likes this.
  9. Serveman

Serveman Well-Known Member

What type of car are you looking for ? Depending on what you are looking for there are some options out there that people have missed because they are the type of car that has slipped under the radar or not as popular. I’m talking, certain used cars.

10. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

It is shocking.

I bought ex gov corolla and had to spend extra to secure it ..... low mileage

datto likes this.
  11. K974

K974 Well-Known Member

Looking for a 2018-2020 vx Landcruiser, sub 50k km, basic car , with no aftermarket rubbish on it
    Reckon fair value is $90k tops given they were 105k new .
    Still priced at 115k+ However not moving on car sales now , same cars there for weeks with some dreamers up to 150k
    New Landcruiser out but prices yet to drop on this one , suppose supply is too restricted on new one for trade ups

waiting till they came down. Made a few offers of $90 with any thing up to the full 90k in cash , (physical cash) but no bites at all

it’s a bubble but how long till the supply comes online to pop the bubble who knows

12. Traveller99

Station wagon. Volkswagen, Audi etc. Prices are sky high!

13. devank

devank Well-Known Member

Are new cars also priced high now? They used to give about 10% off the listed price.

14. Serveman

I had a look on Carsales in NSW for automatic wagons under 15k with less than 150000kms on the clock and found 99 of them.
    You could probably pick up a 2013 or 2014 Mazda 6 Wagon or Hyundai I30 Wagon for around 13k. There are a lot of European cars in this price range but I wouldn’t buy them unless someone else was going to pay for the repairs, because you will get plenty of them.
    I don’t know your price range but if I had to buy a wagon and I had less than 10k to spend and still wanted something with low Kay’s my pick would be a 2005 Mitsubishi KW Verada, possibly in AWD or a Subaru Liberty/Outback 2004ish but make sure the head gasket is OK as the 2.5 versions tend to blow them, but that seems to be more common with the 2000 model.

15. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Up more than 10% on 2020 RRP and no discounting (in fact pay extra if you want to get to the head of the queue)

The Y-man

devank likes this.
  16. Serveman

It’s a shame the local car industry was shut down. Sometimes it’s good to be able to manufacture your own stuff. At one stage we had Holden, Ford, Mitsubishi, Toyota, Nissan,Chrysler Leyland and even some Volvo’s made here all when the population was on 15 million or less. Not having these cars here certainly dries up the flow of new and then used car stock.
    On the news today they were advising new car buyers to order now for a 3 to 12 month delivery. That’s going to keep used cars in demand and prices up,
    The danger of this is that it might pressure you into buying the wrong year, make or model of car. At present the cheapest used cars are French ones from the late 90’s, early 00, older South Korean cars and these cars could be a risky buy.

datto likes this.
  17. Traveller99

Found my new car.... I wish ;)

datto and Serveman like this.
  18. boganfromlogan

Have a go at this!

Used 2017 Toyota Landcruiser Prado GDJ150R GX 5D 4WD (QFleet) For Auction in Eagle Farm, Brisbane, Queensland - Manheim Auctions

19. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

Not sure why you'd buy a 200 series 2nd hand , when a 300 is not much more..I reckon most of the advertised wait time is b.s. if you actually whack down some cash..it makes great marketing to tell people it's all "sold out" and a 12 month wait. Gets people piling in. Half the people in the waiting line will pull out before they actually take delivery.

300 will hold its value a whole lot better than an overpriced 200, which will crash at some point.

Cousinit likes this.
  20. boganfromlogan

Well, recently bought an overpriced corolla with 20k on the clock when a later model with 80k would have been similar. I guess the 2017 was built Dec 2017 and compliance was 2018. Wasn't driven to mid 2018.

Kinda feels new at second hand price.

But no bragging rights. Kinda standard Toyota 'whitegoods'

Aren't cars to drive? I don't think of them as assets

Jellybeans123 likes this.